Modified Mag Light

Billy Ram

Enlightened
After reading about Black Bear's inhanced Mag Lights I have thought I would like to have a powerful incandescent light like this. Does anyone have any experance with one of these? After being arround CPF it looks like it may be better to build one myself using parts from vendors on this forum. That way I could build one just the way I want it. Fivemega seems to lead the way with some neat stuff. Sometimes there's no substitute for a powerful incandescent.
Billy

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you're in the right place, this site provides more info on lights than anything else in the world, plus parts and lights that are sold here, just can't find anywhere else.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
That light is commonly known as a mag85.
There is a mountain of info about how it gets put together here at CPF.
Type mag85 into the grey Google Search box at the top of this page and check out all the hits you get. You'll find it a superb source of general information and indepth how-to's on the mag85.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF - this looks familiar. I was originally looking for such a powerful LED, but those are only now becoming affordable. In the meantime, I (and many like me) built a ROP, short for Roar of the Pelican. This is fairly cheap as mods go, and quite flexible, with at least three different bulb options for low, medium, and 'Ow my retinas!'. I just found some really good instructions, which should explain everything you need. The parts lists may be a little out of date, but Google is a wonderful resource, as our our wonderfully helpful forum members. I bought my lens and reflector from Kaidomain - and one optional part, the Golden Shorty tailspring. This makes it much easier to put the tailcap on, lowers electrical resistance - and needs a sharp edge taken off with a Dremel. It's four bucks you don't need to spend, but it's very nice to have.

I hope this helps set you on the right path, and welcome to CPF :)

Billy Ram

Enlightened
Well so far thanks to all the information on cpf I have about rounded up and have comming most of the stuff to put together a decent light.
Billy

Billy Ram

Enlightened
Do any of you like surprises? I got a good surprise today when the mail lady handed me a box of goodys from Cal. I am pleased with the quality all of us have come to expect from FM. I got the Throwmaster 2.5" head and 9xAA battery holder. The little things can make a differance and the male plug that came with the holder will make charging very convenient. I have a dedicated charger for this light.
Lets go outside in the dark. It's cloudy and not much moon out here. Well the throwmaster lives up to its name. Awesome!!
Billy

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
How close does the red on your Throwmaster bezel match the red on your Throwmaster body?

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pleased with the quality all of us have come to expect from FM.

+1 on that! You can't beat the fivemega stuff - I have his 2" deep reflectors on 2 of my Mag 2D torches with ROP bulbs, they are really good!

I also have an incredible Elephant II with 3" Throwmaster head which uses 8 x IMR 18650 cells - setup for 210 watts of regulated overdriven incan goodness! Words cannot express how good this light is! The bulb (Osram 64458) is from Svetilia but everything else was source directly from CPF members!