trim bi-pin legs? (edit : no trim needed)

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get the filament near the base of the reflector (as recommended in EG's guide to focus) the base is very unscrewed from the reflector. This really compresses the batteries. In addition the C2 won't turn on unless I unscrew the bezel a few turns.
So I don't like this.
As the FM socket is popular, and with the C2, how are people solving this?

Cells are AW 16340, bulb is WA1111.

Last edited:

Databyter

Enlightened
Re: trim bi-pin legs?

Trial and error. Personally I usually do not bottom the bulb out. I have a mag 85 with a FM deep reflector and I raised it up about 1 mm. I think this reflector design most likely has alot of leeway though either way, but I liked the pinprick spot I got at 1MM raised.

Trial and error will tell you were to go, the main thing is that you are centered, and center bulb with reflector on and no window, don't depend on the bulb holder as a centering guide.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast

hrm, thanx but let me clarify:
I am not asking how to focus a bulb.

I am stating that, as I approach where I want the drop-in to be to have the bulb focused, it really lengthens the unit. With the spring already so long there's little room for the cells inside the C2.
If I trimmed the bi-pin legs, I could screw the unit it more.

*edit: Looking real closely at the original sales thread pics, the bulbs seem to be sitting a lot lower (closer to the base) than mine is fitting.

Last edited:

Databyter

Enlightened

I'm not familiar with that mod, but generally speaking if the spring is too long you've got to cut it down. And if trimming the pins helps that sounds good too as long as you are in range for your beam.

But reserve for others who are familiar with your C2.

I've only done mag mods.

And your right I thought you were talking about focus, my bad.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast

no, by all means thank-you.

I usually do not bottom the bulb out.
I thought about this too - if you usually don't do it, that also means that you could. You also didn't suggest trimming, nor had I come across it so that didn't make sense either. What was I missing?

FM's holder, a masterful construction, has a depression in the center, between the bi-pin holes, for the projection at the bottom of the bulb. Why was mine stuck 6mm higher then this designed depression?

I didn't want to mess with my only 1111 (waiting for bulb order), so I used a KDxx77x to test as it is a g4 and should still fit in the base. I first tried them out in the reflector and they don't fit through the opening, but they are G4 base so I could use one to investigate the bulb seating problem.

KD went right down, sat flush on the base. When I went over the 1111 bulb all looked good and the fit felt like solid contact. But now I knew the bulb could go down a lot further b/c the KD had. Re-examination showed the 1111 legs bent and twisted ever so slightly, enough to give the impression of a solid stop of pins that have no further room to go in. Easily corrected, no trimming required.
:oops:

Last edited: