Solarfroce 2xAA L2R "Revolution" variant is out...

elugelab

Newly Enlightened
2xAA light that produced 500 lumens for 1 hour?
Voltage input is 3.0-4.2V, so you can't use two li-ion's, or even two 1.2V NiMH either.

I guess the specs are somewhat inaccurate...

Rod911

Enlightened
I was about to purchase the R2-AA2 light as the price was great, but when I clicked on the link, I was disappointed at what it looked like and the fact it was only a 1-mode light.

If they had a flat head version (I think they went overkill on the 'tactical' head) and at least a high/low mode, I'd buy this in an instant.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a mistake ..

Prices vary because some people are lazy , and wont search out the lowest price .

Its there to catch the folks with more money than ????

Rod911

Enlightened
Jake has 1 mode, 3 mode and 5 mode drop-ins for that light
on his sbflashlights website. (R2, 0.8V-4.2V)
Thanks for the heads up. The website is more search friendly than the eBay store.

I looked at the drop-in you referred to, but that's only 240lm (yes I know, take the figure with a grain of salt) compared to the L2r's single-mode 300lm. I would prefer if it came straight out of the box with a 2/3 mode variety or, at worse, available in a DIY AA*2 kit form.

jake25

Enlightened
Yea they work well with the .8-4.2V dropins which was partially why they were created. Like my other items they'll start as a host and you can build it up.

Rod911

Enlightened
I emailed ITC directly and they've advised me that a 3-mode version of the same LED (ie. R2 300lm) is available at an extra cost (US$2) on the L2r AA*2 body. I ended up pulling the trigger and buying one. All up, it was US$27.99 as I also requested a flat SS bezel (another US$2).

I'll post my thoughts on the light once I get it.

Spydermonkey

Newly Enlightened
Rod - Thanks for posting that info. The combo you emailed them about is exactly what I'm looking for.

shark_za

Enlightened
Very innovative.

I'm just after the low voltage module so I can run a Solarforce L2 with a 1-cell extender and an AA inner sleeve (9P size).

Our local importer only brings in the big sellers (I don't blame him)

hoffmand

Newly Enlightened
I have plenty of Eneloops so this light is very appealing. However, a floody beam suits my needs better than a thrower. Is there any reason to consider this light plus a M30F when the iTP Polestar is the same price?

jake25

Enlightened
You don't have to buy a Malkoff M60F to get flood you can diffuse it yourself using a kleenex or any other things you can think of laying around the house.

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
I was about to purchase the R2-AA2 light as the price was great, but when I clicked on the link, I was disappointed at what it looked like and the fact it was only a 1-mode light.

bob4apple said:
Jake has 1 mode, 3 mode and 5 mode drop-ins for that light
on his sbflashlights website. (R2, 0.8V-4.2V)

I'm targeting 17:00 EDT 10/23/2009 to have a Driving Impressions {no access to testing hard or software} of the L2i and L2r.

A bit of basic, first hand verified data:
*) BOTH use Solarforce LC-1 R2-M (0.8V-4.2V) High Output, Three Mode drop in. Modes are 100%, 40%, 10% w/ memory of last mode used.
*) Using the same head and drop-in, BOTH are compatible with the 6P and 9P.

*) L2i; $25
*) L2i; 3 AAA 1.5v batteries
*) L2i; Length x diameter in (mm): 130 x 25 x 20
*) L2i; Batteries arranged physically parallel in magazine. Read POLARITY DETAILS on magazine before inserting batteries: Two go in with positive toward the FRONT of the magazine. One goes in with positive toward the REAR of the magazine. This is NOT referenced in the docs.

*) L2r; $25
*) L2r: 2 AA 1.5v batteries
*) L2r; Length x diameter in (mm): 170 x 32 x 25

*) The Five Modes bob4apple references on Jason's site are are the aforementioned 100%, 40%, 10% plus Strobe and SOS. The L2i and L2r have NO Strobe, for those of you who take umbrage at their very presence on your lights.

*) L2p Forthcoming: 1 x 18650 or 2
x CR123A
*) Driving Impressions to follow
solarforcel2p18650black.jpg

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened
I'm not doing a preorder on the L2p yet because there are some apparent scratches on the inside that were cause due to compatibility issues.

This was on the whole first batch.
60440041977484307694.jpg

Inside of the head looking towards the glass lens

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
I'm not doing a preorder on the L2p yet because there are some apparent scratches on the inside that were cause due to compatibility issues.

This was on the whole first batch.
60440041977484307694.jpg

Inside of the head looking towards the glass lens
Indeed, it should be noted that I have intentionally selected and am using the term "Driving Impressions", almost as a form of nomenclature, to distinguish it/them from the exhaustive Reviews of Selbuilt (as just one CPFer example) which include comparison beam shots, Throw/Output Summary Charts, Output/Runtime Comparisons, as well as product photos, commentary and observations.

Road & Track magazine distinguishes between "Road Tests" [underlining added], "First Drives", and "Features" to pre qualify the depth and extent to which the article goes in profiling a vehicle for the reader.

Similarly, posts with extensively measured, documented, and graphed performance data of production models would be analagous to a "Road Test."
We driving enthusiasts read Road Tests from a few select subscriptions, ignoring trivial measured differences attributable to different environmental and track conditions where and when the cars were tested, normal production variances, etc. and combine the editorial content with the instrumented data to gather a fairly specific idea of how well the vehicle would serve our particular interests. For example, being an old fogie, the 2010 Camaro SS is whispering to me in my sleep, but thanks to Motor Trend and Road & Track I know all that luscious torque from a God Bless America 6.2 litre V-8 with Bob Seeger cranking out "Old Time Rock & Roll" on the stereo would NOT make up for the fact that the Camaro is a rather clumsy handful on serpentine switch backs. By contrast, the instrumented data of the Porsche Cayman S does not stand head and shoulders above similarly priced competition, but if carving up the Smokie Mountains with an ear to ear grin is your idea of driving, the Cayman S can only be described in terms too "adult" for this family forum. {Any masochists perversely interested in knowing to what prolific lengths my babbling mind can go torturing a keyboard, ask me about the time I talked my C.E.O. into buying a brand new 1995 Acura NSX, and upon delivery he walked into the Server Room, tossed me the keys, and ordered me off the property until 5:00 pm at the earliest :faint:} These extensive Reviews are the analog of Road Tests. This is as about as close as you'll come to relevant information upon which to base a purchase decisions. [EDITORIAL NOTE: What automobile dealerships in the United States refer to as "Test Drives" are oxymoronic at best, crude devices to distract the customer and disengage their cognitive functions at least]

"First Drives" in Road & Track typically do not include copious amounts of instrumented data. For various logistical reasons, the editors do not have the resources such as time, equipment, staff, access to the vehicle for extended periods, extra sets of wheels/tires, etc., to provide a full "Road Test". These "First Drives" may include data recorded by the editor/author but their purpose, proscribed by aforementioned limited resources, is to give the reader an impression of the vehicle, to whet the appetite of the HHT {Horsepower, Handling, & Testosterone} addled brains of the readers :grin2:. An outstanding example of the qualitative aspects of a "First Drive" can be found in the November 2009 Volume 61, No. 3 issue of Road & Track beginning on page 32
[Page numbers may vary based on your location, subscription vs. newsstand purchase, and how much thick cardboard advertising CRAP you have to tear out before you can actually leaf through, let alone read, the darn magazine!
sbox.gif
]
Author Shaun Bailey provides an enticing taste of a new model in the Corvette lineup, the Corvette Grand Sport, or for you older folks the revival of the Grand Sport moniker from the misty past of the late fifties and early sixties when gallant Knights such as Zora Arkus-Duntov battled the evil Senior Executive at G.M., which incidentally stood for General Motors not government motors :barf:.

The article does not provide the in-depth instrumented testing that "bench racers" misuse to argue over which is the best value Vette in Study Hall or at Joe's Bar or Claddagh's Pub, but it does provide a pretty good impression of where this Vette fits in amidst the many performance personalities available to the Corvette buyer. A "base" Corvette's limits, with the electronic nannies disabled, are certainly higher than my track driving skills. Nonetheless, the Z06 is the choice for the Caraholic's Sunday morning 04:30 banzai runs before the golfers and church goers are clogging the world and just in time to greet the first crimson hues of the Sun awakening. The ZR1 Vette is for the DaFabricatas of the Caraholism world. These are the heroin addicts who have moved beyond sticking needles into their veins and are trying to find a busted, morally bankrupt cardiologist who will insert a swan-ganz catheter into them so that they can inject heroin directly into their heart, and get full data graphing of all the neat cardio-patholigies and aberrant rhythms as they die.

As part of the general nature of this particular "First Drive" article, the reader is also introduced to something even more enticing than the Vette, The Director of Marketing for Corvette
wtft.gif
. M.B.A.s have been the scourge of this Geek's professional career but that M.B.A. owns a 1996 Corvette Grand Sport, was first to autocross a Corvette ZR1, runs marathons, and is a four-time National Champion SCCA Solo II autocrosser. Oh... did I forget to mention that Karen Rafferty is lean, luscious and she could take me for a test drive anytime? A woman who is smart, accomplished, athletic, and so far above my level of driving skill I might as well be driving a Caterpillar D9? Please take me now Lord, before temptation devours this faithfully married man. G.M. headquarters is practically in our back yard, there is an incredible amount of information available on publicly traded corporations if you know where to look, and I don't think it would count as stalking if I disabled OnStar and rolled my truck in front of her house. {Read the book Innumeracy. "Freak coincidences" are much more common that many people think :naughty:}

Thus my Driving Impressions, whether of production or pre-production devices, should not be equated with the exhaustive analyses of the hard core old guard CPFers who hide their disease by disguising themselves as respectable engineers by day, nor the up and coming gifted folks such as
Sir Craigory Smedly Shih, Lord of Saratoga, and rightful ruler of all vassals, slaves, and feisty wenches within that fertile land, who I consider gifted not merely because he can consistently, successfully tie his shoes, but because he's found a piece of firmware that can be uploaded to his Canon point and shoot which turns it into an apparently reliable lumen meter and graphing device. [Sir Craigory, P.M. when you turn 18 so I can drive cross country and deliver a palm-heel strike to your solar plexus :crazy:] {TechnoBill shuffling away, muttering: "In a couple of years Craigory will be at M.I.T. or Cal-Tech and I'll be living in my Escalade ESV. I hope my wife doesn't complain about the GSDs sleeping with us or decide to redecorate the interior of the back of the SUV.}

Caveat Emptor Y'All!

Last edited: