Gatlight Issue - Low Output

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I went to play with the Gatlight I was fortunate enough to win in the Photoshop contest and noticed the output was low. At first I thought it could be the battery, but it tested full and I tried other new batteries, not the problem. Then I noticed the threads on the tail cap were pretty dirty. So I cleaned the threads on the tailcap and the inner threads on the rear of the Gatlight body. Still low output. I tested the resistance between the - contact on the tail switch, and the threads (gold plated copper?) and it was fine, 0.000, no resistance.

So I'm thinking the problem lies in the circuit, or the + terminal that moves in and out as you adjust the rear knob. I cleaned the + contact as well. Any ideas?

Do I have a warranty on a free light I won as a prize? :p

UPDATE: When I turn the knob to increase output I hear a little "pop" sound inside the light when it reaches it's max output, which is far less than it should be.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, you make me a little bit nervous here... It's a coincidence, but 3 days ago I also played with my Gatlight and noticed the same, low output. If I turn the knob to have it brighter, it goes up to a certain level and then immediately falls down at about the half to remain there.

I got the light about 6 months ago, put the original battery in and played with it probably a quarter of an hour. As the battery is responsible for some 99% of errors like this one, I blamed it of course, but didn't want to change it, as the light isn't used. I'm not at home by now to try another cell, it's the first thing I'll do this evening! :eek:

Guys, the early Gatlights (V1 and V2) are renowned for having low output. That is partly why Walter, at one time, offered to provide their owners with the more efficient V3 drivers. However, that never seemed to come to fruition. Regardless, most V1 and V2 owners have sacrificed performance in order to simply own one of the most unusual and beautiful shelf lights ever made. :)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have a V3. Also it used to be very bright, probably around 200 lumens out the front. Now it's maybe 40-60 lumens at best.

From what I saw it looked like the rear threads almost had a corrosion on them. Some kind of dark film had developed there that I don't remember being there when I got it new. I don't know if some kind of gas from the battery cause that, or the combination of metals used, etc.

I believe the issue lays somewhere in the head with the circuit or the mechanical piece that varies the output. It's almost like something isn't letting enough current through.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tested my Gat Ti...

I fear that dad is right in my case! I should have played with it in the dark. Today I poped in a new cell, but the brightness was still the same. Although I had in mind the know had to be turned over half a turn to full brightness, it seems that I didn' remember correctly or I remembered from tightened to full brightness. That's a difference to from where it begins to ramp to max.

It also seems to me, I must use it for a few moments, turn the knob several times to bring it to full output. :candle:

Well, it's a collection object and for that purpose it is bright enough!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can completely dim it, but when I loosen the knob to go brighter it will max out at less than full output and if I keep turning the knob it eventually shuts off from loss of contact.

Every now and then it was flash brighter when I turn it to full brightness, but it's only a flash and then it's at the lower output.

I can completely dim it, but when I loosen the knob to go brighter it will max out at less than full output and if I keep turning the knob it eventually shuts off from loss of contact.

Every now and then it was flash brighter when I turn it to full brightness, but it's only a flash and then it's at the lower output.

Hmmm. You might need a contact cleaning. Did you try any Krytox or any of those thread cleaners? Sometimes that's all you need. Barring that, contact Gatlight I guess. :confused:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I had the latest V3 Titanium Gatlight and I noticed that the switch when turned to a light level position would not stay at that level, and this would occur within seconds. The level would in fact drop more than 50%. I am not talking about the highest level, where heat might be a factor. I checked this using bounce with a light meter. It would not stay at the level that I moved the switch to. I also think that the mechanical devise used by turning the switch is the problem. It sort of springs back.

Bill

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same situation. I don't see it as being a "problem" per se--it is the manner in which the light functions due to the design of the brightness control mechanism. It's OK by me just the way it works. It is not my EDC rather a collector light.

Karl

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did clean the contacts with DeOxit. When the light was new it would always adjust it's output a little after I turned the knob. I was never sure if it was the change in pressure when I let go of the knob, or the circuit adjusting the output based on the the amount of juice left in the battery. Even when it would have a little adjustment in the output it would still turn up to full power which it no longer does.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update, now it will output full power, but now it won't fully dim! :p It goes from full output down to maybe half.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Update, now it will output full power, but now it won't fully dim! :p It goes from full output down to maybe half.

Remove the light engine from the body. Use a dental pick to release it from the body. Contact Lumencraft for instruction if you feel you are not able to release it, or just tell them your problem and they will fix it.

Bill

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take a look inside and see if I can figure that out. :)

Update: I was able to remove the light engine. Fairly easy, didn't realize that could be done. :) Thanks for the tip. I will give the adjustable switch thing a cleaning. I have emailed Lumencraft to see if I can purchase a new light engine, maybe with a better bin emitter. :)

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fairly good news. At this point it works fairly well, but it won't hit the lowest setting unless I add a little magnet to the battery to give it a bit more length. Then I can adjust it from what appears to be the lowest low and the highest high. I'm no longer going to leave a battery in the Gatlight when I'm not using it (bad idea for me to have kept a battery in a light like that in the first place) as I'm wondering if the battery leaked some gas resulting in contacts being corroded.

I'm going to let the light sit for a bit, empty, and try again with just the battery, no magnet, to see if things sort themselves out. It almost seems like the pressure switch thing is out of alignment.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Gat lies there with the knob turned fully in. That may not be a good idea...

I'll keep the battery in, there's a battery in nearly each light I have, but loosen the knob. I already wondered how the system works, if it is pressure, it could indeed not like being fully pressed the whole time! :oops:

Where's Walter? :laughing:

Doesn't he ever check his own forum? :shrug: Haven't seen him around here in months. It would sure be great if he would check in once in a blue moon and offer some guidance.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
I had a similar problem, emailed the website and never had a response,
:oops:collector lamp or not, it should continue to work properly, JMO.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Try PM'ing him. PM may go direct to his personal email, if he has it set up that way.

Bill

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard back from Walter via email. He said leaving the battery in with the knob screwed down (for dim) could result in the spring or whatever could compress. He recommends unscrewing the knob and let it sit for 24 hours to decompress.