How does reverse polarity protection work?

cleetus03

Newly Enlightened
Was wondering if someone could explain this concept (reverse polarity protection) to me in layman terms?

For example, I read that if you put the batteries in backwards in a minimag led, the moment you twist it on.......poof?

I am assuming flashlights without reverse polarity protection are the minority?.....Is this correct?

Appreciate all the help and info yall can give me!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Most reverse polarity protection is a physical ring which allows a positive nipple to contact the board, but won't allow the negative end to touch.

Most lights have no protection. Don't assume it does unless it explicitly states so.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
As marduke says... usually a ring or raised bumps around the + contact. They prevent electrical contact when the cell is installed backwards. Some DC-DC boards have diodes in line with the +ive input to protect the circuit, they present a Vdrop to the circuit though so a physical type of prevention is better. I always bypass the diodes on my boards to keep the 7135 chips running in regulation for a longer time.

BackBlast

Newly Enlightened
You can also use FETs to provide reverse polarity protection with a minimal drop compared to, say, a straight in-line diode.