IMR26500x5/Osram64633 and regulated Dvr

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for some help, please. :candle:

I am trying to run the following setup; OS64633 at 16.5 volts with Alan's Regulated incan driver and five of AW's IMR26500's. I had two bulbs start up and then flash after two or three seconds. I am not savvy with hotwire setups and am looking for a little advice. I measure the voltage at the socket without a bulb and it reads 13.31 volts not RMS (fluke 77).
Thanks!!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Hi, got your pm asking for advice on this. I also forwarded it to AlanB since he knows what settings he used.

First I had to find your order in AlanB's sales thread to see what you specified.

Next I refreshed my memory on the Osram 64633 bulb from my tests.

You told AlanB that you were using 5 x IMR26500 (AW's Lithium Manganese cells) which fully charged, should provide 21.5+V.

You specified a regulation maximum setting of 16.5V, which should be well within the safe range, and you specified a nice, safe soft-startup time delay of 500ms (half a sec).

Based on just those two parameters, this bulb should not be blowing, and I suspect it was not setup/calibrated correctly.

The good news is it appears that you ordered a programmer with your order. The bad news is you may need to now learn how to use it...or send it back to AlanB. I believe the latest version of Alan's config files are in the phdConfig-R0020.zip file at this download link.

I have looked at Alan's graphical Python setup program, and there is an entry for the 64633 bulb, but let's let him see your post and my initial comments before we go any further. Even the graphical python program he wrote may be too detailed for someone just starting out.

I know you can start by taking the various voltage readings with the batteries outside the light (just touch them end to end, and measure that battery voltage), then like you did before, put the probes in the empty bulb socket, and see what your readings are with the various click combinations you specified in your order...but a double click going to maximum voltage should be the most important reading with regards to the bulb flashing issue.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, folks. Sorry to hear you are having problems, Frank.

I would expect we are talking about your regulator SN127. I have the config file here in case we need to look at that.

Lets see if I can do anything with the data you provided already. 13.31 volts average DC. Battery voltage is 18 nominal and 21 fully charged.

If we assume for a moment that the battery was 21 volts at the time you measured 13.31, and we multiply those values together and take the square root we get 16.7Vrms.

If we assume the battery had dropped a bit and was at 18V we get 15.5Vrms.

With fresh batteries they are likely to be closer to the higher value.

Let's calculate battery voltage assuming the output was 16.5Vrms and the measurement was 13.31Vavg. I get 20.45 volts at the battery.

So if the battery was at about 20.5V when you measured 13.31 V average then the RMS value would be about 16.5. Plausible.

It is possible the regulator is working ok. One question I would have is does the output stay constant from turn-on through the several second window where the bulbs failed. Unfortunately the load is lighter so it is not quite the same test with the meter as with the bulb, but easy to do an no risk to bulbs.

If I was doing this I would probably put another bulb in and ramp it part way up and see if things hold stable. If the regulator is varying it should do so at a voltage below maximum voltage.

Another thing I would do is to make a file for say 15.0 Volts and try that. Just to see if the regulator is acting stable. I could make the file and send it to you. You would have to load the file into the regulator.

Of course if you want to send it back I can run some tests, but I can't load it exactly as the bulb does.

I can say that I don't ship any regulators that are high in voltage by any significant amount. Generally they are just a tiny bit low. But my tests are lightly loaded and they don't last very long. There could be a problem that I don't see.

I also wonder if filaments need a bit of "conditioning" cycles and/or time before running at higher voltage. We definitely do that for high power tubes, but that is a bit different...

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it helps I just measured my AlanB reg./1 stage/16.5v./5xIMR/4D Mag/'633 at 13.32v with fresh cells and a really crappy multimeter.I'm still on my first bulb with about 20-30 minutes of runtime.

If we are both getting the the same reading at the socket and he's blowing bulbs and I'm not then it must be........

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it helps I just measured my AlanB reg./1 stage/16.5v./5xIMR/4D Mag/'633 at 13.32v with fresh cells and a really crappy multimeter.I'm still on my first bulb with about 20-30 minutes of runtime.

If we are both getting the the same reading at the socket and he's blowing bulbs and I'm not then it must be........

Interesting measurement. Thanks for the info.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lets see if I can post Frank's configuration file. If you put this file in your regulator software directory as file SN127.cfg then you'll be able to see the config, and anyone can make a new config with lower voltages for Frank. It won't need to be recalibrated if the only thing changing is the output voltage and programmer type.

Code:
IFCLEV Advanced
CFGNAM SN127
CODVER 101
HDWRVER REV2E
PROG avrisp2
PORT usb
BULBTYPE OS64633
VHI 16.5
VBASIC 8.3
VLO 3.3
FILHT 
REFL 3 inch
SKSPACER 
CELLCHEM Lithium Ion Manganese
NCELLS 5
CELLMAXV 4.2
CELLNOMV 3.6
CELLEODV 3.2
CELLMINV 2.5
SELVRANGE Auto
MAXVOLTS 21.0 
VBATT 18.0
VRANGE V6S
J1 No
BATSDA C: (N-1)*EOD + Min
VBATLO 15.3
NOMPWM 84.0
EODPWM 116.3
CALMODE Calibrated
VCALF 1.0164
VCALRMS 14.610
BLBDCV 
BATDCV 
ONELEVEL No
VARILEVEL No
MULTILEVEL 4
DEFAULTLEVEL MultiLevel
LEVELMEM Yes
TURBO Yes
TRIPLEMID No
LOCKOUT None
LOBASIC No
LOCKOUTMEM Yes
STARTMS 500
MAXONTIME No Limit
OVRTEMP 50

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Alan,
I could send you the whole setup if you would like to test it. This includes the tube/head a couple of bulbs and the batteries/triton charger. Just send me the address via PM. I am willing to do anything you suggest on my own if you think that would be the way to go. I think if I could simulate the bulb it might be a little cheaper for me. Would a large resistor be the right way to emulate the bulb? Here is the bulb label: "OSRAM HLX XENOPHOT 64633 15V 150W GERMANY 1368"
Thanks,
Frank

Lets see if I can post Frank's configuration file. If you put this file in your regulator software directory as file SN127.cfg then you'll be able to see the config, and anyone can make a new config with lower voltages for Frank. It won't need to be recalibrated if the only thing changing is the output voltage and programmer type.

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's a really nice setup.

I would hate to ship that around and risk damage/loss etc.

That would be quite a resistor to simulate that bulb. Using a resistor load requires a real AC+DC RMS meter as well as the right value of high power resistor, so it is not easy to do or very cheap.

What I would do is lower the voltage output of the regulator and test with the batteries and bulb and make sure the regulator output is constant. It doesn't matter what the meter reads, but that it be fairly steady. Then I would work up in small voltage increments until either the bulb blows or the voltage and output are adequate for the purpose. If the bulb blows then back off a half volt or so and call it good.

You can download the config file I sent in the earlier posting (or I can send it separately) and work with that. Don't change the calibration coefficient or voltage range, just the max output voltage. Those bulbs may be happier on a slightly lower voltage.

Or you can send the regulator to me and I'll set it down a half volt or so and it will probably be ok.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 1.5 ohm, 150 watt resistor would be HUGE, and way more expensive than a bulb. Best way of making one would be to rewind the resistance wire of an old bar radiator in several parallel strands - oh just buy another bulb.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
A 1.5 ohm, 150 watt resistor would be HUGE, and way more expensive than a bulb. Best way of making one would be to rewind the resistance wire of an old bar radiator in several parallel strands - oh just buy another bulb.

OK, now what do I wrap around this?

radiator.jpg

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other setting I would change is to slow down the ramp further. The 500 millisecond value is approximate, I think there is also a setting for "slow" which may help a bit as it may be closer to 3/4 of a second. Depending on the roundoff this may be twice as long as the 500 value gives.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast

Drywolf-have you figured out the problem?

I charged up my batteries tonight and did some testing.

Battery stack=21.1v
x
Socket voltage=12.79v

=16.42v

Does that sound right????

We seem to be getting the same voltage at the socket.Perhaps it's a problem with your bulbs????

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I had an issue with my computer, I won't get back to my light until Friday. I'll keep everyone informed of my progress. I am wondering if you might be right and my bulbs are not the same? I'm planning on going down to 10volts and then work my way back to 16.5, a volt at a time. I bought my bulbs from replacement bulb dot comOsram BRJ 64633 15V 150W
Item# Osram BRJ 64633 15V 150W$3.99 USD

Thanks,
Frank

Latest posts