New (poor) beamshots of my lights: NEX R2, LX2, 2 Magchargers(stock&300MR)

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi again guys!

With kind help of my girlfriend, i made a few beamshots of my flashlights. Shots were taken without tripod, so pictures are a bit "shaky" but i hope you'll get the idea what i tried to film. So, camera settings were locked for all shots, but i don't remember what exactly they were:oops:. But i tried to make pictures that look similar to "real life" as much as possible.

There are shown:

Nitecore Extreme R2 (220 lum.) on AW RCR123
Surefire LX2 (200 lum.) on AW LiFe-Po 3.0v RCR
MagCharger with Terralux 300MR (~600 lum.) on 3.5mAh Ni-Mh cell
Stock Magcharger with stock battery

All cells had been charged a few hours before i took the shots.

Let's get to bussines, shall we?:whistle:

Vineyard cottage 40-45m away (140 feet)

Nitecore Extreme
miniextreme.jpg

LX2

minilx2.jpg

Actually the spill of LX2 looks very simmilar to NEX's spill, but i don't know why camera didn't take it right...

Magcharger
minimagcharger.jpg

Razor-sharp :)

Magcharger with Terralux TLE-300MR dropin

Now shots taken from 100-110m away (350 feet)

Nitecore Extreme
miniextreme2.jpg

LX2
minilx22.jpg

Magcharger
minimagcharger2.jpg

Magcharger with Terralux 300MR
miniterralux2.jpg

Last picture is a bit shaky, but we can see how much light 300MR puts out. However, while stock magcharger's bulb appears very yellow on pictures it looks very dimm(on pics). But it isn't: Overall output is atleast as high as LX2's, maybe ever higher. Stock bulb also throws just a bit more(by a really small margin) compared to 300MR.

Comparing LX2 and Extreme with R2 in it, Surefire kills it when it comes to throw, mine puts out more light to (just enough to see the difference while performing a "ceiling bounce" test). On the other hand, Nitecore has a more defined spill (very uniform from a hotspot to a very edge of the beam) but overall it's spill isn't much brighter than LX2's, which is more like "big hotspot that fades to an edge of the beam"

You can see on pictures, your Magchargers still aren't for recycling:twothumbs Even stock, it is a VERY decent light which can easy compete with newer lights. But with TLE-300MR it becomes a monster! I highly recommed this dropin, i've been using mine more than a year now, with zero problems. Heat managment is very good with a small tweak: I used a thicker o-ring that seals between lens and the head, so that drop-in can easily touch the "switch-tower" where i put a small amount of thermal-grease for CPU's. Heat conductivity is much better now!

Hope you enjoyed my contribution to CPF and i hope i helped someone to decide faster for some future purchases!lovecpf

*I apologise for grammar and other mistakes...:thumbsdow:ohgeez:

Last edited:

Howecollc

Enlightened
Is the tint of the Terralux 300MR significantly cooler than that of the LX2?
I certainly like the look of the massive flood.

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi,

well, lx2 has a warmer tint, there's nothing to argue about. But i noticed that tint appealing depends of how much light emitter puts out. While LX2s tint is very nice on high, is a bit on a greenish side on low. My nitecore extreme also has this "anomaly":On high is creamy white (pretty cool) but has a slight blue/purple appeal on low.

You won't notice any effects that cooler beam tint of a 300MR could do:Colors are shown accurately and good enough compared to lx2, which i must admit, is better, but it's not far away either. I can assure you, because of a massive output of 300MR you won't notice a difference(atleast not too big). Maybe just how dimm your other lights are:)

Howecollc

Enlightened
I forgot to ask; what kind of runtime are you getting with the 300MR?
Are you using a stock Mag battery stick or have you upgraded to a 3.5Ah NiMH?

pulstar

Enlightened
i'm using 3.5 mah battery pack and i'm getting 1.5 hour of runtime before the flashlight starts to dimm. I tried to mesure runtime of stock accu once, and i got more than an hour of runtime before noticeable dimming. Runtimes are pretty similar to stock bulb,i think...

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job pulstar!

The pics might be a bit shaky but they really communicate what each light is, 'all about.'

The TerraLUX unit really improves the Magcharger - If I was a police officer I think those pics would make it a no-brainer for me - the increased situational awareness offered by that wall of light could be a lifesaver.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to pulstar --

Thank you for your time & effort in those great comparison beamshots.

Very helpful and impressive. :goodjob:

By the way . . . .

Tell your girlfriend you'd like a Tripod for Christmas.

;)
_