cutting down a P60 reflector?

Tony Hanna

Newly Enlightened
I've got a little project in the works that I'd like to use a P60 drop-in for (specifically the 3 mode + 0-100% ramping R2 unit that DX sells). The problem is that the depth I have to work with for mounting the drop-in is only a little better than 1/2 the length of the drop-in itself. In order to get it to fit, I'm going to have to cut it back at least enough to completely remove the "belled" area at the top of the reflector. Possibly even as far as the groove on the outside of the reflector (worst case). I'll know more when I have the parts in hand.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anybody has tried this before and can give me some idea of what this will do to the beam? I'm guessing that a shallower reflector is going to result in a less intense hot spot with brighter spill but that's just a wild guess...

Thanks,

Tony

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It works pretty well.

I have cut about 1/3 from one of those reflectors before.

The resulting beam with an XR-E still has a nice hot spot, the spill is brighter than before.

Careful with the reflector while cutting, they are pretty soft aluminum.

Good luck

Tony Hanna

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I feel better about doing this now that I know it's been tried before with good results. Any suggestions on what to cut with? I was planning to try to make the cut with a small file. I figured it would be easier to control/keep straight than a hack saw. I should probably invest in a Dremel one of these days.:eek:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am about to cut one too...my setup will be...module down on a flat surface, hacksaw blade fixed horizontal on the proper height and I will be turning the module on the blade...

then smoothing on a large stone and polishing on sandpaper