Rechargeable AA battery shoot out

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
warning

this are datas read on my instruments, may be inaccurate, i have only 4 batteries of every type, maybe one or more of them are damaged and give weakest results, my methodology is different from the IEC standard so may give different results

shoot-out updated at 13 feb 2010

uncompressed file 5.28MB

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20922732/ultimate_battery_shoot_out.xls

the same file but compressed 33KB

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20922733/ultimate_battery_shoot_out.xls.7z

download the file and open with excel or calc or compatible

ask if you don't understand something

how to read the spreadsheet

Cycles: are the cycle of discharge and charge, from the first discharge out from the box until they die

routine charge: is the charge method used for the battery if nothing else is write in the cycle column

routine discharge: is the discharge method used for the battery if nothing else is write in the cycle column

D. 1A [start-1.1V-0.8V-average]: this mean Discharge at 1A, i will write in the four box under the battery the starting voltage without load, the mAh erogated by the battery until it reach 1.1 and 0.8V with load, the average voltage with load (if you multiply the average voltage with the mAh you find the total energy that the battery can store)

C. routine [start-peak-mAh-dT]: this mean Charge with method described under the battery description like "routine charge", i will write in the four box under the battery the starting voltage without load, the peak voltage with load during the charge, the mAh erogated by the charger, the difference in temperature from the start to the end of the charge

in the discharge description there is also the time after the last charge start the discharge, can be 24 hours or 30 days or something else

the readings of voltage under load are made directly from the battery for avoid the resistance of the wires that takes some mV

charges and discharges are made without a cooling fan except the charge at 5A where i use a fan but at a very low speed just for move the air in the charger that is quite closed

Last edited:

clintb

Enlightened
Re: Ultimate AA battery shoot out

Maha Powerex 2700
Maha Imedion 2100 (LSD)

Last edited:

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

i have added your suggestions, but i appreciate if you write me also some good dealers that have more brands so i can save a bit for shipping...

i have a weight limit of around 4lb. so i can't test too many cells, i prefer to stay on the more common ones

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic

Test request: 100 cycles on Sanyo 2700's and Sanyo Eneloops, then do 0, 30, 60, & 90 day self discharge tests. If that much time is not feasible, 0 and 30 day tests would be the second most preferable.

Thanks.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

Test request: 100 cycles on Sanyo 2700's and Sanyo Eneloops, then do 0, 30, 60, & 90 day self discharge tests. If that much time is not feasible, 0 and 30 day tests would be the second most preferable.

Thanks.

yeah something like that

first of all i think to discharge all the batts at 500mA

then charge them, some at 0,2C, some 0,8C, some at 2C

i have 4 of each, so i will select the highest with the lowest capacity and run them in pair, so i can test what happend with overdischarge and partial discharge

the other 2 i will test in single mode but with different charge method, dunno maybe one with -dV and one with temperature raise...

initially i will do a 24hr 30days 6 months test with well formed batts, then i think to do a 24hr and 30 days test every 30 cycles and the 6 months maybe every 90-120 cycles...

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

100_1361-y7djcpq2.jpg

I look forward to your results : The Duracell 2650 might be the only one I have that your planning on testing .

kimck99

Newly Enlightened

Hi David,

I would to see these LSDs tested:

Delkin 2300 mah
Nexcell EnergyON 2100 mah
Lenmar R2GAA 2150 mah

These can be found at Thomas Distributing.

As a FYI, a similar effort was conducted about 2 years ago on a different forum - here. After reviewing those test results, I've been a fan of Maha Imedions. Might be provide some data points.

Good luck and looking foward to following your 'journey'.

Billy Ram

Enlightened

Throw in Titanium 2700s. They are not LSDs but but perform well among LSDs in other tests.
Billy

Meterman

Newly Enlightened

Hallo davidefromitaly,

as an interesting test object I'd like to suggest the new LSD accubattery AA from Switzerland (not so far from you). I've got some samples since a few days and they seem to be promising.

BTW: I'm always interested in good measuring equipment and thus I'd like to know, what device you intend to use for the analysis. Would you please tell me?

Wulf

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

i have a robbe 8393, a european RC charger/analyzer

i have a 4lb weight limit so i can't test ALL the batteries... i prefer to stay on the most available

but the new energizer semi-LSD are disappears? :confused:

spencer

Enlightened

I would say the list in first post (currently) is very good. Obviously the more batteries the better but since you want to limit the list I would not worry about the ones you currently can't find (because they aren't very common) but add the Titanium 2100 LSD and the Titanium 2700.

Just remembered they don't make the Titanium 2100 LSD anymore. Forget that one.

madmook

Newly Enlightened

I'm also interested in results from the Tenergy 2300 LSD.

videoman

Enlightened

Try to add the Ansmann 2850 from thomasdistributing

clintb

Enlightened

Try to add the Ansmann 2850 from thomasdistributing
Before they're even tested, I'd bet many folks here would be in agreement those will be underperforming by quite a bit. IIRC, the Maha Powerex 2700's hold the distinction of best performing high capacity non-LSD cell. It's up to the OP, but if I were testing, I'd not waste money on anything over 2700 mAh, unless, of course, he has the money to burn and time to devote. :)

edit: NM, he's going to test them. It'll be interesting, though not surprising if they fall flat on their face.

Last edited:

sremick

Newly Enlightened

Newbie here, but this thread is basically exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd add to the list the following:

CTA 2700mAh AA $10.97/4
Nexcell 2700mAh AA $10.97/4
Delkin Power 2900mAh AA $12.97/4
MAHA PowerEx 2700mAh AA $24.97/8 $49.57/16

Prices are TD. These are the batteries I'm looking at for future purchase but would love a review. Have been getting the PowerExes due to their good rep but I'd be curious on how those others compared relatively.

For what it's worth, I have an MH-C9000 charger. :)

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

-4 ansmann max-e
-4 ansmann 2850
-4 delkin 2300 lsd
-4 duracell active charge
-4 duracell 2650
-4 energizer LSD 2300
-4 energizer 2450
-4 GP recyko
-4 lenmar ready3go
-4 maha imedion LSD
-4 maha powerex 2700
-4 nextcell energyon
-4 philips 2100 non-lsd
-4 powergenix ni-zn
-4 rayovac hybrid 4.0
-4 sanyo 2700mAh
-4 sanyo eneloop
-4 tenergy ni-cd 1000
-4 titanium ni-cd 1200
-4 titanium hi-current 1800
-4 titanium 2700
-4 uniross 2100 non-lsd
-4 uniross encore 2700
-4 uniross hybrio 1600
-4 uniross hybrio 2100
-4 uniross 2100 oem

ok this is my last configuration, i will post a datasheet for the datas, what do you prefer, microsoft excel or openoffice calc?