What is the best light for cold weather?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm making an emergency kit for my wife's car and I need help. I have most everything I need including a light stick,flares,and even a light that plugs into the lighter in the kit. I want to know what is the beat flashlight/battery combo to leave in the car in cold weather?

Thanks Dean

Spork

Enlightened
I use the original infinity with lithium aa batteries for my car. if you dont want a led light I would suggest the uk2l.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think anything with lithium batteries. Lithiums still run well when cold, unlike alkalines. Plus, lithiums stay good for 10 years or so, good when left in the car.

I'm keeping a PrincetonTec Tec 40 ($15) in the car now, with Energizer AA lithiums (Office Depot, $10 for 4) and the standard HPM20 bulb. Waterproof. Pack a spare bulb in a crushproof container. If you have money to blow, I guess a Surefire would be great, too.

funk

Enlightened
Lithium batteries are the key to cold weather situations. In addition, I would suggest combining an LED torch for the best performance and life.

Brock

Flashaholic
I would also recommend the UKE 2L. It is a true "dive" light so it pretty durable and completely waterproof. I just ordered over 50 for one of the local schools as emergency flashlights.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something that plugs into the car?

JM610-PIP.JPG

Sharper Image Halogen Spotlight/Flourescent Lamp

$15 bucks, flashlight and lamp as you can see, and comes with AC adapter and CAR adapter. You can get lithium AA's for it (takes 6). I highly recommend it. Only disadvantage: a bit big.

EDIT: Oops, I misread the post. You already have one that plugs in. Oh well, get it anyway.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by 3nails:
...[best] flashlight/battery combo to leave in the car in cold weather?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I second the Infinity w/Lithium AA.

Very long shelf life from the Lithium. Won't get destroyed as much by REALLY hot temperatures inside the car in summer and will still work if it is really cold outside.

Plus, with the "twist on head" design of the Infinity, the battery isn't really engaged. Although I don't have any proof, it seems to me that batteries are way more likely to leak if they can trickle out their current. If the battery is not touching anything on at least one end (like sitting dormant in an Infinity), it seems like it will be less likely to leak (although, again, the lithium is already better at this).

The only problem is if the Infinity isn't bright enough for your needs.

If that is the case, get an Infinity anyway. It is only as big as a shotgun shell and will work when you need it to. Just add whatever, brighter flashlight you may feel you need to it. If your kit is in the trunk, then size won't be problem. Get one of the Dorcy 4AA lights with the "poseable" handle so you can sit it in any position you want while you change a tire, whatever. They are focusable from spot to flood plus still relatively compact. Dorcy Mini-spot 4AA flashlight

Walmart sells these for the amazing price of $3.29!

If you want, add 4 more Lithiums and leave them in their blister pack until they are needed; include a spare bulb. You'll have the Infinity handy in the glove box at all times, just reach, twist and you've got light! Then you can assemble your (really, whatever you want) ultimate, bright light in the comfort of your car; no leakage, no filling up the glove box with a bunch of bulky 'packages'.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more idea...

The CMG Reactor is a REALLY bright light that uses Lithium batteries, is compact and since it is based on an LED, won't burn out just when you need it!

The initial production runs of this new light seemed to have all sort of issues with beam quality but later shipments seem to be OK. See lastest CPF posts on CMG Reactor

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
3nails;

If you get snow down there, then you don't need that much light. Snow acts as a light amplifier. In any case, Lithium batteries are best for cold weather. That rules out anything that uses C or D cells. Some very good suggestions made above.

One thing though, in an emergency kit, you may want to store the light and battery in a 'ziploc' type bag, just to be on the safe side.

If I drove a vehicle, I certainly would not want to have an expensive flashlight stored in the car. Neither would I want a standard (cheap and unreliable) flashlight. Neck and/or wrist lanyard is a definite plus, even if a separate purchase. Above all, it must be water/weatherproof and rugged.

That said, the Infinity, Inifity Ultra, Reactor, and a number of others will fit the bill rather nicely.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a PT surge in the car for a cheap, durable, weatherproof & reliable flashlight. I also keep a Brinkmann Legend LX in the car just to have a bright back-up lithium light that would work well in cold weather.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
LW4000! 10 led's and 3 D size batteries! I'm currently doing a runtime plot on one and at 5 days of continuous usage it's still generating enough light to see by. It's rubber coated, so it's easy to hang on to in any weather. Light one of these suckers off at night and you'll be impressed!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
For more info on the UKE 2L you can do a search for other peoples opinion of it.

Here is a review of the 2L.

As for were to get one Texas Tactical has them for about $24.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a combination which uses the same batteries, you could look at a UK Mini Q40. This uses the same lamp assembly as the 2L, but runs on 4 AA batteries, so you could put lithiums in there and not worry about the harder to get 123s.

The Mini Q40 also has a longer runtime on lithiums than the 2L - Brightnorm has posted quite a bit on this subject, if you do a search you should find info about these 2 lights.

Graham

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by 3nails:
....Size15s,where can I get info on this UK2L?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The 2L is a unique light. Even though it's far from being a new light, with it's combination of tiny size, 2.6oz weight, relatively bright beam, 2.75-3hr runtime, absolute waterproofness and extreme toughness it still has no serious competition in its categoey.

UKE also makes the Mini Q40, a 4AA light.With lithiums it will give you a solid 4.5-5.25hrs of light and despite its rather notorious variable beam (which it shares with the 2L since they take identical bezels, and which is not a significant factor in real world situations,) it is my favorite 4AA, superior to the competion(IMO)in weight, size, ergonomics, brightness (after 2hrs), and runtime.

Brightnorm

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure the UKE2L would be fine. However, it is more expensive ($25), and you won't find spare batteries and bulbs everywhere. In a pinch, I think you can find some alkaline AAs or a 4 cell PR bulb just about anywhere.

I would sure hate to try to change a tire, fix a car engine, or flag down a car on a dark, rainy country road with my Infinity!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Wow,thanks guys. As for now I will put in my Legend LX with fresh 123, for brightness and my incoming Infinity with lithium AA for long light. This will have to do until I can get better. I'm not going to leave my SF E2e ha in the bag but I hope it will be with me when I need it.

Size15s,where can I get info on this UK2L?

Thanks for all of your help Dean