Which cheap HID?

ecotack

Newly Enlightened
I have a variety of LED torches and think its time to try a HID. My present power torch is a 2D Mag, with 3 C-sized lithium's and 5 Cree R2s, which are driven up to 1200mA each, so should be over 1200 lumen.

The two HID torches I've been looking at are the 24W ones (as sold by DX for ~£97) or the 35W+28W for £116.98 on eBay (DX does one, but its cheaper on eBay). I missed out on a 24W one for £65 on eBay as a buy-it-now (letraly sold between me pressing buy now and confirming it). I like the fact the 24W ones are focusable, but the 35W ones have twice the battery capacity.

Anyone used both and can advise on which is most usefull? Any thoughts for and against?

Patriot

Flashaholic
If you already own a 5 x 1200mA cree light, I would suggest a 35W HID.

With regards to DX, I don't know of any regular posters who are purchasing their lights from them. If you provide links for the lights you're referring to from them someone may have used something similar and comment about it.

Patriot

Flashaholic
No problem ecotack. The two lights that you're referring to are Asian generics and sold through two CPF dealers in the Marketplace called the "Tactical HID" and the "Oracle HID." Both come in 24W and 35W models. Obviously it sounds as if you're in Europe so maybe DX is the best source for you but I'm only guessing. In any case, the answer to your question is within the CPF threads in this forum.

Have a look at the:

Oracle 24
Oracle 35
Tactical 24
Tactical 35

Threads which can be found through the search function.

The easy answer is get the 24W light if compactness is of highest importance. Get the 35W if power and extended run-time are of highest importance. The dimensions are listed.

Last edited:

ecotack

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

Found a guy on eBay who is selling these in the UK for a little bit more than the HK/China guys, but with a 4300K bulb and next day delivery.

Order placed for a 35W :twothumbs (just don't tell the wife)