Surefire T1A XP-G TITAN Mod

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was a bit difficult but the results are excellent!:D

I was FINALLY able to get my T1A apart.

Partial credit must be given to brighterisbetter for lighting a fire under my *** during a conversation we had earlier this week!...Thanks Bro!:wave:

It had been used maybe 10 minutes total and put in a drawer where it has sat for a month or longer. I absolutely hated how the emitter was not all the way in the reflector hole making it out of focus and the beam was all flood with no hotspot. Due to the emitter not being up as far as it should, it also seemed very dim.

I finally fixed that tonight!:whistle:
I was going to swap the stock blueish white tinted seoul for a high CRI seoul, but since I had a few XP-G's laying around, I figured "Why Not":devil:...I can always get another for the high CRI swap.

It certainly wasn't the easiest mod, but I am happy with the results AND it runs much cooler.
I've had it running on my desk in still air for about 10 minutes now and it is just kinda warm to the touch where the stock T1A would be Hot by now..:naughty::twothumbs
The T1A now has a nice big bright hot spot and nice spill. The beam is WAY more useful now!:party:
It is noticably brighter than my original Titanium Titan and throws much better too.
I really wish I would have taken a before and after shot of the T1A's beam...it's hard to descibe how much of an improvement this is.

I was VERY nervous about modding such and expensive light with VERY complicated electronics. Theres SO much stuff on the 3 driver boards its crazy!:eek::duh2::thinking::green::duck:

A copper shim was made to help raise up the XP-G mounted on the stock 10mm board that is 2mm thick, and bringing it into focus. Two sides of the 10mm board had to be filed flat to bring it down to 8.6mm wide to fit in the cavity where the seoul previously was.

Here is the final result!:party::party::hitit::D

002-47.jpg

006-36.jpg

Original Titanium TITAN--------------------------------STOCK T1A:sick2:
010-28.jpg

T1A XP-G------------------------------------Original Ti TITAN
007-33.jpg

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work again, DeFab. :thumbsup:

Now.... onto that SPY005 of yours... :laughing:

toby_pra

Flashaholic
WOW DaFab...

It was right to lightning a fire under you ***! :D
Awesome, result...!

BTW, did you still have flashlight, that are noit modded witha XP-G? :tinfoil: :nana:

1wrx7

Enlightened
WOW DaFab...

Awesome, result...!

BTW, did you still have flashlight, that are noit modded witha XP-G? :tinfoil: :nana:

Just wait until the PR-T head is done:whistle::devil:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Partial credit must be given to brighterisbetter for lighting a fire under my *** during a conversation we had earlier this week!...Thanks Bro!:wave:
;)
...I can always get another for the high CRI swap.
I'd love to see that too. Even more than that, I'd like one with a K2 TFFC. I'll provide a donor light if you get brave enough to do this again.
It is noticably brighter than my original Titanium Titan and throws much better too.

T1A XP-G------------------------------------Original Ti TITAN
007-33.jpg
For those who haven't had the opportunity to handle an original Ti Titan, this pic really says something. The original Titan is much more neutral white than the more recent T1A and it's "angry blue", plus the hotspot is more pronounced. This XP-G swap by DaFAB is incredibly more "white" than even the original Titan it would seem. Nice job!

Viper715

Enlightened
Wow just wow. I never got brave enough to get some one to work on my and I sold it. I may have to buy one again and a K2 TFFC and see what happens. Dfab let me know if your up to it and maybe you could do one for me and Bruce now that your getting it down pat. Haha.

Nice work really!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the kind words guys!:thumbsup:

Nice work again, DeFab. :thumbsup:

Now.... onto that SPY005 of yours... :laughing:

Ha! I actually like the two 005's the way they are now...

WOW DaFab...

Awesome, result...!

BTW, did you still have flashlight, that are not modded witha XP-G? :tinfoil: :nana:

I have been modding a lot of lights with these XP-G's lately.
Its suprising how many I still have set aside for "something else"..:whistle:

Just wait until the PR-T head is done:whistle::devil:

:tsk::whoopin:
I'll start a thread on that one early next week...:sssh::whistle:

brighterisbetter and Viper715, If you end up getting another T1A, send me a PM and we might be able to work something out.
Taking the T1A apart is very nerve-racking, but the results are worth it IMO.:naughty:

MWClint

Enlightened
:drool:

Awesome work!

Did you figure out a decent method of getting the boards out with those pins?
looks like i'm going to have to buy a T1A now. :)

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work! Man, you're going crazy with XP-G mods.

I take it those LEDs are nailbender's. Those board that he mounts them on are the best layout.

I am about to put together my Longbow with PR head, can't wait!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

That & I also think Tim has a KL4 mod for every single LED that's out there! He must have a whole case full of KL4s. :grin2::nana:

tygger

Enlightened
Wow, excellent work. The results are very impressive. Any possibility you'd be willing to do some surgery on an angry blue T1A?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the picture I took of the Stock T1A before the mod and added it to the 1st post
You can see the nasty blue all floody dim beam:shakehead compared to the nice white beam of the original Ti TITAN..:thumbsup:
In the picture below that is the T1A with XP-G compared to the original Ti TITAN.:)

:drool:

Awesome work!

Did you figure out a decent method of getting the boards out with those pins?
looks like i'm going to have to buy a T1A now. :)

I did, It's not easy but I am confident I have the technique down.:thumbsup:

Wow, excellent work. The results are very impressive. Any possibility you'd be willing to do some surgery on an angry blue T1A?

PM sent to you.:wave:
If anyone wants their T1A emitter swapped and focused correctly, feel free to send me a PM. It's not an easy mod to do, but the results make this light a whole lot better!:D

Is the lens/reflector bezel threaded or pressed on?

I have tried a few times to take the bezel apart, but decided to just leave it alone as there really is no reason to take it apart.
I'm pretty sure the bezel is screwed on (with loc-tite) and only holds the window/o-ring in place.
The reflector is part of the lower bezel assambly and is not removable. It is part of the head, just like the KL4.

Were you thinking of possibly making a titanium body?:eek::poke::bow::bow:
If so, send me a PM and maybe there is a way using an McR reflector and a window from flashlightlense.com or somewhere else.
THAT would be cool!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

jhanko

Enlightened
I have tried a few times to take the bezel apart, but decided to just leave it alone as there really is no reason to take it apart.
I'm pretty sure the bezel is screwed on (with loc-tite) and only holds the window/o-ring in place.
The reflector is part of the lower bezel assambly and is not removable. It is part of the head, just like the KL4.

Were you thinking of possibly making a titanium body?:eek::poke::bow::bow:
If so, send me a PM and maybe there is a way using an McR reflector and a window from flashlightlense.com or somewhere else.
THAT would be cool!:thumbsup:

Yeah, I found that out. I tore apart one of my titanium Titans today and put in a high CRI seoul LED. I have a couple of XPG's, but I decided to go warm. I was able to remove the bezel with quite a bit of heat. All that gives you access to is the lens and o-rings. At least I can say I did it. I also found where the gritty feel on the Ti Titan comes from. The little tab that hits the rotation stops rubs against the heatsink the entire rotation. I filed off just enough of the tab to stop the rubbing. Smooth and quiet as can be now. I may make another body for one of them, but an appropriate reflector will be the challenge...

Latest posts