M3 Love!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased an M3 from the Marketplace and got to really use it for the 1st time. This is a spectacular light. The ergonomics of this light really works for me. The MN10 lamp really puts out a nice white hotspot. It was the throw that was a pleasant surprise! It really projects an impressive amount of light in the urban environment. Light pollution, no problem within 50m. As the batteries became depleted, the beam stayed white (not as brilliant as with a fresh set of cells) but the hotspot became smaller. Not a bad discharge curve.

This light has been in service for a long time but it still impresses, both in performance and looks.

Long Live the Incan!!!

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
I myself am looking forward to dumping the mc-e in my M3 Lego for one of the LF lamps. Stuck between the HO-M3 and the IMR-M3 for two 16340 IMR cells. Can anyone estimate the difference in runtime?

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hello Inliner,

My observation of these lamps (LF M3 specific)(in use and through actual lux measurements), is that they all have basically the same effective useful range. As you move from the HO-M3, to EO-M3, to IMR-M3, the difference is primarily in the beam angle, or "size" of the splotch of light in front of you.

To do runtime estimates, use a conservative real-world estimate of the cell capacity you are going to be using, then divide that into the amperage that the lamp operates at, (all lamp specifications can be found on LumensFactories website in the "specifications" section).

Example:
2x17500 protected AW cells will deliver ~1.1AH into the load of the HO-M3, probably around 1AH into the load of the EO-M3. (estimates based on looking at the discharge charts done by SilverFox, found in the "threads of interest" section of the batteries section of the forum,).

1.1AH/1.55A=0.71H or ~42 minutes.
1AH/2A=0.5H or ~30 minutes.

run-time on 2xIMR16340s would be about half that on both fronts since the capacity is about half that.

-Eric

zuhel

Newly Enlightened
Just became an owner of M3. And I'm happy. Never want to spend money and spare time on flashlights, but It's real magic. I've been like a little boy for all last days.

And excuse for my Engleashe, please.)

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just became an owner of M3. And I'm happy. Never want to spend money and spare time on flashlights, but It's real magic. I've been like a little boy for all last days.

And excuse for my Engleashe, please.)

Congrats on your purchase. The M3 is a pretty light. Now you can start thinking to get some upgrades for it. :devil:

:welcome:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dusted off my M3 with MN10 tonight to compare it with some warm LEDs and I remembered why I have hung on to it so long. It really is a nice outdoors light. Great horizontal beam for scanning tree lines, easy to walk with without a diffuser, and it still has surprisingly good throw for how wide the beam is. I've added an AW 3 stage soft start switch to it to make it that much sweeter. I'll probably use it more once I get back into hunting. I know the blue diffuser SF makes for the M3 is great for tracking blood. Just waiting for Li-ions to come out with significantly more capacity, that will make this a perfect light.

4019370131_55e44a6256_o.jpg

Last edited:

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just waiting for Li-ions to come out with significantly more capacity, that will make this a perfect light.

I've already made my M3 perfect. I bored it to accept 18500 LiMn batteries and paired it with a LF HO-M3 and AW softstart. I love AW's new LiMn batteries because they can be charged at very high rates (have safe high discharge rates) and have no protection circuits to fail. Best of all worlds. Their lower capacity doesn't bother me at all as I can just carry a few spares with me. No biggie :D

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
Here's my M3 lego. I just said goodbye to my MC-E & hello to a Lumens Factory HO-9L :twothumbs

For anyone wondering, the LF D36 series of lamps will go into the M3 head. The foam shock absorber needs to be trimmed about 1/8". I also had to bend the ground spring just a bit narrower at the bottom, but I think that is because of the C2M host.

IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x 17500 will fit without any modifications. You can't use them with the MN11 though because of the current draw. If you want to use 2x 17670, you will need an extender, the A19 or the Detonator.

knightrider

Enlightened
Thanks a lot Kelmo! :thumbsup:

I had to pick one up again because of this thread. Really missed it and this pushed me over the edge. This will be a perfect tactical light for me. Wish I hadn't sold my original that had the smooth bezel. Almost picked up a 9P but I knew I wouldn't be totally happy with it. Found a great deal on a new M3 too!

Needed a fast tactical light a couple nights ago and struggled with my only incan light. The big light was just not practical in this situation - it's a SF KT4 Leef 3x18650 with LF M6 bulb. Great throw and powerful but it's a very long light. Probably going to sell it now that I'll have a light more suited to my purposes.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job knightrider!

I carry mine in a Surefire V40 holster. It is not designed for the M3 but if you stretch the opening to accomodate the cooling fins it is a perfect fit. I have the CB version which is probably the longest of the 3 options you can buy.

kelmo

knightrider

Enlightened
So Kelmo how are you running yours? How are you enjoying it so far? Any new observations?

Going to try to go with 17500's eventually but not sure about going IMR or not...

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
For me, nothing is better than my M3 with a Nailbender MC-E neutral tint D36 drop-in with a pair of AW 17500's. Oh wait, is this the incan forum?!? Ahhhhhhhh!! Don't hurt me :D.

seale_navy

Enlightened
2x 17500 will fit without any modifications. You can't use them with the MN11 though because of the current draw. If you want to use 2x 17670, you will need an extender, the A19 or the Detonator.

Thanks for the info. yeah but extender wouldnt make the M3 look nice anymore I think.:nana:

is the beam from the MN 10 yellow or sunlight? the only reference I have to xenon bulb is my pelican mitylite 2340 which is yellow even on fresh batteries. I reckon my maglite 2AA has a whiter beam than the pelican.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So Kelmo how are you running yours? How are you enjoying it so far? Any new observations?

Going to try to go with 17500's eventually but not sure about going IMR or not...

I'm just running the stock MN10 setup with primaries. I love this light! Nothing new to report. One of these days I will put it's bezel on my M6 and make the dreaded "Sea Cucumber" but thats for another thread...

jslappa

Enlightened
Am I the only crazy one here to have my M3 running 3 x IMR RCR123's from AW, and head modified to run the FM MN Bi Pin/1185? Come on and try it! It'll be the best 6 minute run time of your life lol. I have pics of it floating around. I'll have to check Photobucket for them.

Edit: After using a dremel to open the hole a bit, this is about how far out you have to shimm the FM MN Bi Pin holder to get a good beam.
It's really quite rediculous to have the 1185 pushed at 11.1V in the M3!

05062009311.jpg

Last edited:

txgp17

Enlightened
I have a M3 but hated the way it gobbled up batteries.

A LF bulb, and cell extender, and some AW 17670's solved that problem.

Now I'm looking to have it bored for 18650's.

Last edited:

knightrider

Enlightened
Got mine today and I'm in love too!

I think it's the nicest incandescent light I've ever tried personally. I like it more than the M6, C2 and the executive line in incan. It's just the right size and brightness, great throw. Very impressive light that has a lot of good qualities.

When I first got this light 2.5 years ago I sold it right away. Shouldn't have done that. I am going to use this one and appreciate it like it should be.