SSC P7 dome apperance

tane

Newly Enlightened
Hello, this is a question about the domes on P7 leds, I have purchased several of these over time and found different appearances, is this normal?
pair.gif

These were both sold to me as D bin P7's, close up of each are below

clearr.gif

frosty.gif

Is anyone aware of non genuine P7's around? Should I be worried these are not both genuine?

Regards,

greg

znomit

Enlightened
The cloudy dome has been reported before in threads. Try a search.
Interestingly there is more differences than just the dome there.

space

Newly Enlightened
I have also noted that some of my P7's have clouded domes.

space

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks more like the fuzzy one has more phosphor coating on it. Do they both looks like the same tint when on?

tane

Newly Enlightened
Yes, as far as my eyes can tell all these are a similar color, the clearer domed ones appear more intense at lower driver currents but above 2amps my uncalibrated eyes can't tell them apart.
There are other differences too that you can see in the construction, ejector pin marks are much more pronounced on the cloudy one and the die looks not so sharp, are they production variances or products of different lines.
Can be sure it's a SSC part, not a P7 style LED? Are there knock offs of these to watch out for? I searched on her for fake, knock off but found noting relevant.

cheers,

greg

tane

Newly Enlightened
I did a bit more investigation, the middle P7 in this row is the frosty appearing one, they are connected in series running at 2.75amp.

IR_0003.jpg

The middle one is defiantly different!

They are all bolted to a copper heatsink

IR_0007.jpg

greg

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
tane,

Thanks for posting that picture!!
It help us see things we normally wouldn't be able to with the naked eye.

My guess is the domes are separating and the phosphor is degrading...I'm probably wrong though.

I have a LOT of Seoul P4's that look like that and a few P7's too.

Its a shame and possibly a quality control issue.

Heres a pic showing the differences with the P4's....the top one is a new one.

010-30.jpg

jbmtnbiker

Newly Enlightened
Nube question here and still haven't gotten a succinct answer, what is the real difference in the C & D bins? I have seen other bins listed too, which would consistently deliver the higher lumens?:thinking:

lolzertank

Enlightened
Nube question here and still haven't gotten a succinct answer, what is the real difference in the C & D bins? I have seen other bins listed too, which would consistently deliver the higher lumens?:thinking:

The D bin is brighter. The C bin produces at least 700lm at 2.8A, while the D bin produces at least 800lm.

jbmtnbiker

Newly Enlightened
Perfect answer! Thanks:thumbsup:

I am finally decided which to look for once I sell a bike...soon hopefully:broke: