n00b type question from an old hand

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
This is going to sound like a total n00b question, from someone who has been here since "the old days"

I REALLY have not been keeping up with what the current decent "budget" flashlight trends are, and I have a problem, that being, I need some budget flashlights

Classically, I'd have grabbed a Minimag, or a maglight (depending on size needed) for this use - something to stick in the closet, or hand to my kids when going to camp (50% chance or better of loss)

Think is, I've gotten a tad annoyed. I tend to use them fairly rarely, and I've recently lost 2 minimags, and a 5D to swollen batteries

Note, these are NOT to replace my Surefires, or my EDC60 (which I still edc).

Looking for a AA/C/D type flashlight that SWMBO can hand to the kids to go trick or treat, go to camp, etc. No CR123s need apply

In other words - A flashlight guy's "Non flashlight guy's" flashlight (LED and Incandescent both acceptable)

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Mag with the LED?

Everyone is familiar with a Mag and their latest LEDs give decent output and runtime on normal batteries. A 5D is good because it is hard to lose :thumbsup:

A rather dim but usable to read under the covers or general walking around would be a Fenix E01. A simple single AAA light that will run 8 to 10 hours on one AAA battery. That way they can use it all night and fall asleep in the tent with it on and still have the runtime when they wake up and have to go to the bathroom. They run $15 shipped, are waterproof and make a simple keychain light if you are into that sort of thing. An added bonus is the 6 lumens should not cause eye damage when they are screwing around with it. It is small so put a lanyard on it so the kids can wear it around their neck.

If the single AAA/AA light will just lay around until needed for months on end, load it with an E2 lithium Energizer so the battery won't leak. The single cell lights have less of a chance of leakage because the cell won't interact with the second (or 5th) cell. Hang the single cell on it's lanyard on a hook and put a pack of AA alkalines behind it. If the kids go camping, swap out the lithium for the alkaline so the kids can kill the cheap battery. Swap the lithium back in when the kids return from the woods.

Now for 4sevens or Fenix to come out with a 25 lumen single AA version with an XP-G R5 LED for around $25 with the toughness, simplicity and runtime of the E01 but with more output and much better beam quality. Hmmmm....

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you want super cheap, go to your local big box store and pick up multi-packs of Energizer LED lights. Most of their economy line has been converted. Woefully dim for most of us, but great for kids and such. Most models are $5-8 per unit.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you know, fauxtons work pretty decently in most cases. Im not sure exactly what kind of light levels you are looking for, but a bunch of fauxtons priovides a fair bit of light for quite awhile.

Crenshaw

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Bit more than a Fauxton - we already have a stack of those

like I said think 2 classes

Minimag replacement, but better (Maybe something plastic/rubber)
2d-3d Maglight replacement (or even 'classic 2 d rayovac' plastic)

afraidofdark

Enlightened
Here's another option for a good kid camping light: the safe-Light "Palm Lantern" (also sometimes listed as the "Companion") ... basically a 9v Safe-light with a clear top (that lets the light be used as a mini lantern), and an optic for throw:

https://www.safe-light.com/detail/pallights.cfm?id=81
http://flashlightsunlimited.com/companion.htm

jt6whu.jpg

I have one and it throws a decent beam and spills a lot of light out of the clear top too (so you can see the kid while they're running around). The 9v battery will run it forever, there's a flash mode (so you could use it on a bike), a nightlight mode, and the thing is built like a tank. They're $11 direct from safe-light if you buy more than one.

The safe-light model with the opaque case is good too, there's no optic so the beam is more of a flood, no clear top so you don't have the lantern effect, but you can get the emitters in different colors, and there is an low mode in addition to the nightlight/hi/flash:

http://www.essentialgear.com/store/p/16-Safe-Light-LED-Flashlight.html?feed=froogle

32znwuh.jpg

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
"You cant teach an old dog new tricks" :nana:

Stick with a Maglite, C or D, get a Malkoff LED dropin
If that is too expensive, get the Terralux LED dropin

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to check out what the local dollar stores carry.. depending on how cheap you want to go.

The Fenix E01 and Streamlight Microstream are pretty nice lights for $15.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
If you are in no hurry, check out DX and search for 'Akoray' - they have a range of cheap ($13 ish) AA and AAA small lights that are really bright. I have been carrying one for about 6 months with no problems.

jankj

Enlightened
Check out shiningbeam.com web site. His prices starts around $15-20 and with reasonable good and consistent quality. The cheaper romisen lights are super simple (on/off switch that sticks out from the tail), bright enough to impress them, reliable enough that the flashaholic in you don't need to feel ashamed and cheap enough that you can let sloppy family members borrow them.

I have the warm white Romisen model (2*AA extention tube or 1*CR123a), and heartily recommend it.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robocop showed me a Brinkmann 1AA last week that impressed me, and has me wanting to buy some for friends and family that aren't into lights, but who(IMO!) could use an upgrade from stuff I've given them in the past.
Check out this thread, and scroll down to post #9: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/237106