Need headlamp for my dad

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
My dad is 92 years old and has poor vision. He loves to read his newspapers.

He is having his opto make him a pair of prescription magnifiers. However, he also needs illumination on his reading material. This is for reading only.

I'm looking for a headlamp with these ideal requirments:

1. Wide flood with no hotspot
2. As bright as possible
3. Uses consumer standard battery (AA, AAA, etc.) - I don't think he can deal with special batts / chargers.
4. Reasonable run time on high.

I was looking at the Zebralight 501.

But then I thought, "why not ask the real experts on CPF??".

Really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks very much.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's nice to see you taking care of your dad like that. Yeah, the H501 is a wonderful light for reading, among many other uses. The large, easy to use click button would make operating the light very simple for an older person. When he is done reading, he can put it on the table on low as a nightlight. It will last a long time on low.

Go for it.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the H501. I use it for reading in bed when my wife is asleep, its small and lightweight and you can hardly feel the weight on your forehead, i've fallen asleep with it on much to the amusement of my wife.

I'd think about getting the H501W, the warm tint is 'softer' somehow, but still provides more than adequate light for reading.

You can head here and click 'road' in the first column on the left, then in the list of lights, scroll down and you can see a comparison in tints between the H501 and H501W.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2 Zebra, even the warm. Its a perfect beam, very user friendly, and the modes make it appropriate for many situations.
It is important that you educate him into changing the cells as required. When I got my first Zebra I only fed it dead cells discarded from other devices (mainly because I could) and the zebra has an excellent board, but for his situation, reducing eye strain and creating an enjoyable experience, it is important he use it as directed. (otherwise he'll stop using it because he finds he still has to strain and after 10 minutes you'll realize he's actually saved that first cell and put an old cell in to 'get the most out of it.')

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Looks like I can't do better than the 501W. Hopefully the 501 and dad's new glasses will help his reading situation.

BTW - at 92 he is still very active and enjoys reading and using his iMac. I wish the same for all of us :thumbsup:

Thanks all for sharing your experience.