MagLite Rebel mod?

csadzuki

Newly Enlightened
Recently I bought four 3D MagLites mainly for modding. It turns out, three of them are the new Rebel -091 MagLites. They seem so nice that I'm having second thoughts about modding them. :green:

So what do you guys think? Should I leave them unmodded? And if I do decide to mod them, what do you recommend? My plan was P7, but I'm not sure how that would work with the new deeper reflectors.

I noticed that the die size of the Rebel is similar to that of the Cree XP-G (judging from the photos posted). Anyone tried a Rebel -> XP-G swap yet? :grin2:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I bought four 3D MagLites mainly for modding. It turns out, three of them are the new Rebel -091 MagLites. They seem so nice that I'm having second thoughts about modding them. :green:

So what do you guys think? Should I leave them unmodded? And if I do decide to mod them, what do you recommend? My plan was P7, but I'm not sure how that would work with the new deeper reflectors.

I noticed that the die size of the Rebel is similar to that of the Cree XP-G (judging from the photos posted). Anyone tried a Rebel -> XP-G swap yet? :grin2:

Most people start out with the Incandescent Maglite since it's almost half the price. I'd like to see what a P7 or better yet a SST-50 could do in a deep smooth reflector. The SST-50 will probably do a better job, but driving it at spec is a problem, but even under-driven still produces a ton of light. A simple mod would be with 3 good D NiMH cells like the Tenergy 10000 mAh or better yet 4 of the AccuEvolution 'C' Pre-Charged Ultra Low Self Discharge NiMH Rechargeable Batteries or 3 of the D cells

JamisonM

Enlightened
Most people start out with the Incandescent Maglite since it's almost half the price. I'd like to see what a P7 or better yet a SST-50 could do in a deep smooth reflector. The SST-50 will probably do a better job, but driving it at spec is a problem, but even under-driven still produces a ton of light. A simple mod would be with 3 good D NiMH cells like the Tenergy 10000 mAh or better yet 4 of the AccuEvolution 'C' Pre-Charged Ultra Low Self Discharge NiMH Rechargeable Batteries or 3 of the D cells
I wondered the exact same thing. I bought one to see how they were. I'd prefer they had simpley replaced the aging luxeon III with the newer rebel on their drop-in upgrades than this. I tired the reflector with a seoul P7. You'll have to widen the hole at the bottom of the reflector to that of a standard maglite reflector. It produce a more narrow beam, much like the one from my L2D-CE, but it doesn't get rid of the hole at the center of the hot spot. Now, I'm waiting on somebody to get get WJ bin SST-50s in stock.

Illum

Flashaholic

091? really?
early rebel minimags are 060 rebels, talk about :green:

Gryloc

Enlightened
Illum,

I remember a long discussion on the bin of Rebels used in Mags, and I thing that they confirmed that they were 0090 bin the whole time. I remember someone who went to the Shot Show talked to a Mag rep and that person confirmed this. I know it is silly that they displayed 090 without any orientation marks or lines, which could be read 060 upside-down.

-Tony

csadzuki

Newly Enlightened
I tired the reflector with a seoul P7. You'll have to widen the hole at the bottom of the reflector to that of a standard maglite reflector. It produce a more narrow beam, much like the one from my L2D-CE, but it doesn't get rid of the hole at the center of the hot spot. Now, I'm waiting on somebody to get get WJ bin SST-50s in stock.

Thank you (and everyone else) for the input. That does not sound so bad... Do you have any comparison beamshots? :popcorn:

csadzuki

Newly Enlightened
091? really?

Yup :cool:
cimg0661i.jpg

Latest posts