14ers.com discussion on headlamps

carrot

Flashaholic
I climbed a 14er when I was visiting Colorado... was going to do two more but weather kept me away. Since I did it during daytime hours I did not need a headlamp but I kept the Petzl E+Lite with me to use around camp (I packed my way up to the midpoint and summited the next day). It is a very good, very lightweight headlamp but a bit underpowered. It takes two lithium coin cells so it's always ready to use when I really need it.

Anyways, I think the Zebralight is going to get a lot of recommendations here. They are a little bit on the expensive side but some of the headlamps being talked about over at 14ers.com seem to be bumping up against that price range anyways.

What we like about the Zebralights is that they are extremely small and light, durable, and take just one battery -- an AA, a CR123 lithium, or an 18650 lithium-ion rechargeable depending on the model. They have what we call a floody beam -- which is a light output that is spread wide and evenly, which allows good close-to-medium range vision but not so good for long range (10m+). This should be fine for the large majority of users.

For those interested in ordering a Zebralight, I strongly recommend 4sevens.com (Disclaimer: David is a good friend of mine and I do work for him occasionally on the side.) Use the "CPF8" coupon code for an 8% discount. Free shipping.

Absolutely it's a good idea to use lithium or lithium-ion batteries as they perform far better than alkalines in cold weather. If you cannot afford to use a lithium or lithium-ion based solution, NiMH rechargable work better than alkalines and are readily available.

Being a bit of a flashlight nut the headlamp I will take with me when I go backpacking next year will be the Surefire Saint. The smaller, lighter one, the Surefire Saint Minimus is available now, with the full-size Saint coming later this year. It is around $140 and made in the USA. If you have military connections you can get the Saint for around 20% cheaper than MSRP.

Please feel free to quote me over on your forum, but I ask you attribute the post to me (link back appreciated).

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is never and probibly shall never be consensus about anything here on CPF. :nana:

:welcome:

However I'll give you my personal opinions as I keep close tabs on most headlamps out there (at least the ones available to the American Market).
The majority of the linked thread seems to discuss pros and cons of cheap vs. more expensive headlamps.

All I really have to say about that is it depends. There are some great gems out there which are on the inexpensive side. However there are some even better mid range headlamps out there. Personally, every expensive headlamp I've tried has let me down so far.

I've had durability issues with both Princeton Tec and Black Diamond headlamps in the past. Haven't had an issue with a Petzl yet however I don't like most of Petzl's offerings. (Nor do I like most of Black Diamond's or Princeton Tec's)

The majority of headlamps use unregulated circuits running direct drive from 3 AAA cells. Quite possibly one of the things most of CPF does agree on is the fact that any light using this configuration isn't worth very much.

Furthermore most headlamps still use the tiny little 5mm LEDs which are designed for being seen, and aren't so great for seeing. They're often a harsh blue tint which reduces depth perception as well.

There's no one lamp I can recommend, as there's still not a clear winner in my mind. The new Fenix headlamp looks like it is a big improvement over most things before it, however still lacking in polish. Zebralights come highly recommended from many, but not all. They're great for close range lighting and have decent brightness and runtimes to boot. Personally I use a Neutral tinted Zebralight with an Energizer L91 lithium AA cell for finding my way along a trail during those dark hours early in the morning or late at night.

Last edited:

drmaxx

Enlightened
What is the consensus here for a head lamp for use during alpine starts and hiking (start early morning, dark, in cold weather).
Consensus? CPF? Don't think so - but sure many great opinions.:thumbsup:

I really like my PT Apex headlamp with 4 AA eneloops and lithium batteries as backup. Very often you don't need a lot of light - e.g. walking in a group in a snow trail. There the 5mm LEDs on low are good enough. But having the option of using a 3 W spotlight to see where the path is going is sometimes essential.
The only disadvantage of the Apex is that in close quarters at night the light is way to bright. There I usually operate with a small pilot light strapped to the headband.

I would not recommend the Zebralight as the only headlamp in Alpine situations. I have the 501 and it just does not have enough throw to guide you safely on a unknown and potentially dangerous trail. It is great for camp or on an easy trail but not alpine. I use it as a backup light though.

Alpine situations can turn serious fast and require quality gear. What ever you choose - choose quality.

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened
One thing about the Zebra (H501 in my case) is that it is so unbelievably light and comfortable to wear.

I have a Fenix HP10 now, and it just blows the Zebra away as far as light output, but I guarantee for camping tasks that dont require the throw/power for the HP10 I will be using the Zebralight.

That said, considering the size of the battery pack, the HP10 is remarkably comfortable for my head at least. That said if I had to wear it for 12 hours straight (havnt even worn it for 1 hour straight yet) I may change my tune..

dcycleman

Enlightened
I just picked up asaint minimus. Like it a lot though I havnt used it enough to be able to give a long term review. though it feels like the beefiest made lamp I have seen. I like cr123s so it works for me. downsides being that it is larger than the competition. My tikka is quite a bit smaller, it takes up almost no space, the minimus is a bit larger and heavier but also quite a bit brighter. If I could only have one it would be the minimus.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i just checked out the saint minimus at surefire.com and my only question is how do i become a surefire model? that would be my dream job...model sexy flashlights while looking hardcore but still cool....awesome:crackup:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Quark prism and the smallest quark light that can take the prism (to keep size and weight down) could be a very promising solution and still cost less than some headlamps.

hopkins

Enlightened
PhantomPhoton -we climbers prefer a direct drive
headlamp because with so many survival decisions
happening concurrently knowing the light is getting weak
is very important. Unlike someone who is, for example,
working under a car with the headlamp.
cheers
-hopkins

drmaxx

Enlightened
PhantomPhoton -we climbers prefer a direct drive
headlamp because with so many survival decisions
happening concurrently knowing the light is getting weak
is very important.

Perfectly regulated lights are rare. They generally don't just produce a constant lumen stream and then turn off. E.g. the Apex has a) an indicator and b) drops out of regulation with a very long useful light-tail. Additionally, regulations also enables the use of several level of brightness, which is very convenient and can extend the lifespan of the batteries substantially.
And yes, I do realize that the APEX is too heavy for climbing - I just try to get the point across.

gajslk

Newly Enlightened
As someone who hikes a lot, occasionally after dark, I like the floody headlamp, hand held thrower combo. There's nothing like being lost in the dark in a little circle of light with no ability to look any distance for the correct/safest/best route to ruin a perfectly good hike. Been there, done that, too many times. If I had to choose only one light, I suppose I'd go for throw over flood. It's annoying around camp, but at least you're likely to find camp with some throw. But then, how many people here ever go anywhere with only one light? It's so unnecessary.

Gordon

hopkins

Enlightened
besides the headlamp I've carried 2 coin cell keychain LEDs
One attached to the pack, the other on my person.

Not much light until your eyes dark adapt.

Then you would use the ancient flashlight technique of
a quick flash of light then walk a few steps then
flash again. Repeat till you get to the car.

Have read accounts of people who have hiked down from
Half Dome with one keychain LED shared by 3 people!
An epic for sure.

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
A Quark prism and the smallest quark light that can take the prism (to keep size and weight down) could be a very promising solution and still cost less than some headlamps.

Right after Prism announcement, I ordered a H501. From my point of view, if you already have Quark AA/123, prism is a good accessories. If you don't already have one, you need spend $68 even with current Quark sale. That's more than a Zebralight -- I have to say, 4sevens' price on Zebralight are pretty high. I compared several dealer before I buy, so I would like to share my research results:
http://www.illuminationgear.com/14301/39729.html you get 64.99- 8% = 59
http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_20&products_id=88
you get 69.99- 10% = 63
http://flashlightconnection.com/ZebraLight-Headlamps/ZebraLight-H501-Headlamp-p118.html
you get 64.95+1.5 shipping - 5% = 63.2
http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=183
even if you buy direct from Zebralight, it's 59 + 6=65, of course that will be much slower than buy from a US dealer.

Back to the topic, I think I will always need another light besides a headlight, then why don't use a Zebralight plus any regular light I like?
Quark AA will have more output than H501, but I'm not sure how it will compare after the prism conversion. And it should be much heavier than a Zebralight.

Of course this is just me. I totally agree Prism is a very interesting accessory and have lots of use. I may want one if it can fit more light.

jankj

Enlightened
Prism versus zebralight: The one thing zebralight is lacking is throw. The quark prism system has potentially all the zebra's versatility plus lots of throw, but at a little penalty in weight and size. I just wonder how fiddly that diffusor lens is going to be... A nice flap on/off diffusor system would be the perfect complement to the prism system.

I'm looking forward to the reviews...

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
I think you can't have even beam and throw at the same time. The advantage of Zebralight is not only the 90 degree LED angle. Of course you can flap the diffuser off and on, but I would say you better use two lights, one for throw, one for nearby use. What a good reason for buying more lights... Wait, I think everyone here at least have 2 lights...