AA lights - suggestions please? TerraLux?

scott2907

Newly Enlightened
Hello my friends,

I am looking for a replacement AA light or 2xAA for camping. I quite like the look of the TerraLUX 100 - has anyone had experience of this one? What I'm looking for is something that will give me a good light for close range or medium range work during camping, with a less aggressive bezel on. The bezel on the TL100 looks about right, but they don't seem to do that on the 2AA one, and that one just doesn't look as cool either. One with a glow switch would be perfect so I can find it in the tent. What do you suggest for camping? I've been a tactical torch buyer so far.

Thanks guys.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You should take a look at the Quark series of lights - these have a broad beam which is excellent for closer-range/general use, and have a wide range of output levels which would be much better suited for camping, especially the lower low modes. No glow switch, but as someone who EDCs a glow switch light, I can tell you it's no help at all in finding your light in the dark, for that you should get a tritium fob.

See the Quarks here, available in 1 or 2xAA format: http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_305

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a couple of caving (extreme exploring) enthusiasts on this forum that swear by their Fenix TK20's, mud & water didn't impair performance, I'd reckon for camping they'd be hard to beat in the 2AA form factor :thumbsup:

Check out this for a really muddy TK20 :thumbsup:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done some camping and I can assure you all - 2 lights are the way to go (plus backups and lights to try out).

1. Zebralight H501w - once you use one you will realise how useful it is.

2. A good AA or 2 x AA light with reasonable throw. Quark, Nitecore, Fenix, Jetbeam or Olight are all good choices. Maybe make this one a 2 x AA.

3. A spare for backup. Maybe a 1 x AA for this one.

I would consider the 3 I have listed the minimum starting point, they would be more than enough to cope with the normal range of camping situation.
Clip #1 to your shirt, have #3 in your pocket and #2 in your hand - you are now good to go!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love camping, and I usually go camping mainly to hike the trails past sunset. The configuration I find suits me the most, after trying many different ones, is at the very least 2 flashlights and a good headlamp. The Zebralight is nice for around camp activities and flat trail hikes (no rocks or roots sticking out.) The one problem I have with my zebralight is that, since it's a cool colored LED, it attracts bugs like my name is Mr. Bugzapper, so I'd say try the neutral LED...

If you're ever interested in hiking at night... I normally use either a Fenix L2D (or LD20) and a PD30, or a Quark AA2 neutral on the Fenix headband. I bought several Fenix red filters and replaced the lens with a home-made green diffuser and swear by it. I can't wait for next summer to try out my still brand-new Fenix HP10 headlamp, which is extremely promising, especially combined with 2 flashlights on the regular Fenix headband (3 areas of illumination!!! WOOHOOO!) I also normally carry a TK20 or TK11 as back-up to investigate the noises of the wild, although the worst I've come across so far was a curious skunk. For Overkill, I still carry my TK40, but that really kills your night vision and needs to be used reasonnably. On low mode, it beats all of the above to light up the path, since the hotspot is so big, but again, bad for night vision.

scott2907

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone, I currently take a DX Q5 drop in on a SF L2 body, a L0D and an Ultrafire 500 for the big stuff, but I'm not really keen on having a load of L-Ions in the tent with the kid. Hence the reason why I'm looking for an AA. I've bought myself a C3 from DX for next to nothing so I'll see what that's like. Do the GITD switches really not work :( ? That seemed like such a cool feature.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone, I currently take a DX Q5 drop in on a SF L2 body, a L0D and an Ultrafire 500 for the big stuff, but I'm not really keen on having a load of L-Ions in the tent with the kid. Hence the reason why I'm looking for an AA. I've bought myself a C3 from DX for next to nothing so I'll see what that's like. Do the GITD switches really not work :( ? That seemed like such a cool feature.

Not to put down DX, i have a few lights from them too but if i'm out with my kids in the woods, reliability would a key factor for me. I just got a Fenix TK20 ($48.90 from 4sevens after using "CPF8" discount code) and it is an amazing light. The low mode really seems too bright but that's not an issue. Get that light and a couple of single AA lights (Romisen RC G2s fr shiningbeam come to mind) or a few long running AAA lights like the Fenix E01 and the reliability issue is covered.

I just got this light from DX and it is one BRIGHT light especially on 14500s, its no slouch running on eneloops too so it should be pretty good on primary cells as well. It's a single mode light and looks like an Akoray K106.

The Akoray K106 is one of the better buys, i got the 3 mode programmable one from KD and will not part with it.

Other 2xAA lights that come to mind and are reasonably priced would be the 2xAA Romisen RC N3 II Q5 (2 mode) from shiningbeam, it can also run in 1xCR123/RCR123 as well. There is also a warm white LED from shiningbeam, the Romisen RC N3 warm white. I own both and just gave the RC N3 II Q5 to a friend whose husband just got a new job trucking so he needs a decent light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The thing about lensed lights is that they have no spill. So you'll just be able to to see what you are pointing it at and not the ground around you. It seems to be a good light though (I don't have one).

The RC-N3 II could be a good light for you. 2 AA means less strain on the batteries and more runtime.

corvettesR1

Enlightened
scott2907, here are some beam shots from a new 2xAA light offered by Lumapower called Vantage.Looks to have more than enough light for camping along with a good spill beam and 3 brightness levels.I ordered mine with a neutral colored beam. Mine should arrive tomorrow and ill be glad to post back. Good luck with your choice.http://www.lumapower.com/VT_MTE_beamshots.html Here is a photo of the actual light and it does have a glow in the dark rear cap though im not sure how well any of them work.. http://www.lumapower.com/Vantage.html

Last edited:

yowzer

Enlightened
Eagletac P20A2 in neutral white? 3 brightness levels, removable bezel, comes with a GITD tailcap to switch out with the stock black one...

scott2907

Newly Enlightened
Corvettes - where did you order from? Direct?
The lumapower certainly looks like a good light, I think I'm edging that way. I don't know why but I don't like the look of the Eagletacs.
Thanks again for all your suggestions.

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Hi scott. I ordered my Lumapower Vantage 200 right from this link at Battery Junction.http://www.batteryjunction.com/lululudlpm1f.html
You can choose dark gray or a silver finish as well as a cool white or neutral white tint .Mine shipped out today. I chose the limited edition silver and neutral tint .I hope this helps you out . Let me know if you decide to get one .:thumbsup:

scott2907

Newly Enlightened
Hi scott. I ordered my Lumapower Vantage 200 right from this link at Battery Junction.http://www.batteryjunction.com/lululudlpm1f.html
You can choose dark gray or a silver finish as well as a cool white or neutral white tint .Mine shipped out today. I chose the limited edition silver and neutral tint .I hope this helps you out . Let me know if you decide to get one .:thumbsup:
Yes I think I will. The beamshots look great, can you let me know what your impressions are when you get yours please?

yowzer

Enlightened
I like the P20A2 also but I prefer the tailcap on the P100A2. i just wish they were interchangeable..:(

Both models use the same tailcap. I just switched them on mine just to double-check that something wasn't different with the threading. Works fine. :thinking:

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Just home for lunch here and the new Lumapower Vantage was waiting for me. Two thumbs up for fast shipping from Battery Junction.

I opened the box and the light comes with plenty of spare O rings and a threaded collar should you choose not to use the tactical collar.

I find the tactical collar to offer some extra non slip "advantage" so I"ll leave it in place.

This light offers 3 good brightness choices and I really like the way you can change each level with a simple half press of the tail cap, ( NO head twisting).

The removeable pocket clip seems to be very strong.This light also will tail stand with no problem.

Lumapower did a great job all around with this light .As a limited edition, I wonder how many of these were made. Im glad I bought one before they run out . What a nice light .Tonight,ill go out and check the thorw on it but Im sure it will have plenty.:thumbsup:

scott2907

Newly Enlightened
sounds good - I'm rubbish with LED models, whats the difference between the Q3 5A and the R2? Is it just colour temprature?

scott2907

Newly Enlightened
ignore my last - I've just answered my own stupid question!
Looks like I'll be ordering the Q3 as well.