Fenix Outfitters        
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nichia 365nm UV Light offerings (NEW 5-12-17)

Flashaholic

Default Re: Nichia 365nm Light offerings

Quote Originally Posted by tino_ale View Post
    Does anyone know if the UV mule could be usefull to sterilize or at least partially decontaminate stuff ?

I was thinking water decontamination, or killing germs on your cellphone, keyboard, mouse, keys etc.

If yes, any idea what kind of time would be required with the Mule so actually do something ?
    Check my link in post #116.

First, let me say that I am not a microbiologist so my knowledge in this area is extremely limited. My original interest in this LE was fluorescing salt deposits in crude oil heaters but I have interests in many areas of science.

I roughly measured the output of the UV LE in a Sundrop XR-U head to be 16mW/cm2 (using a Laserbee I). When you factor in that power was measured on an area of about 7cm2, irradiating to a target of 27J/cm2 becomes impractical in my mind.
    Still, I figure there's a possibility for this to work. I took samples of run-off water from near my house in Pro-Clean bottles. I transfered 2 liters through a 5 micron filter to a translucent water bladder and suspended the UV Sundrop on high inside. I finished walking my dogs and transfered the water in the bladder into a new Pro-Clean bottle with a total irradiation time of 160 minutes. 5 day Biological Oxygen Demand was reduced enough for me to be comfortable drinking it (I'm not posting the actual numbers as I feel this one time test doesn't necessarily prove anything). As far as potable water goes, I would say you are better off using a SteriPEN. Dry surface irradiation is possible (SteriPEN does not function outside of water), but I feel the amount of time required to hit the target energy make it more of a novelty than a practical application.

LE received, thanks Don.

Seems like Don has been tied up and not responding to this thread lately. Still going to post a couple of questions, the first being if these are still available ?

What are the differences between these and ALS (you know, what the always use in those detective/crime shows) ?

I also would offer that another use for UV is in reef aquaria keeping. More specifically for picking out livestock, as most places, especially wholesale houses, don't have them in the same lighting that typically reef tanks use, so it is hard to gauge (guess) what they will look like sometimes. little keychain UV lights have historically been the answer (and lately the chinese LED UVs), but these lights would let you check whole sections at once for any "good candidates"

If I read correctly the Mule only takes CR123 primary or rechargeable R123 batteries ? Are there any options for 18650s ? I only ask because I try to limit my number of types of batteries and so far have no devices that use CR123s

TIA

- Tom

Hi Tom,
    I admit that I have not responded to some questions posed to which I have no idea what the answer might be.

As to availability, yes, these are still available although I am down to the last Aleph McMule set so that option will be removed should this last set get requested. The 3S converter that drives the LED is good on a single Li-Ion power pak so one of the E-series paks out there that has been engineered to host an 18650 would work. The UV LE can also be driven from a pair of AA batteries in series.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Hi Don,

I'm very interested in the XR-U-UV option & was wondering if they are still available & how long it would take from order to delivery?

Thanks,

benben_stone

Available, yes. I should be able to get a light in the mail within 24 hours of order or less.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Flashaholic
    half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Don,

I just wanted to chime in that the Haiku UV you put together for me is really fun and I hope to use it for some interesting photographic effects. Thanks.

Bill S.
    To paraphrase Galadriel "In this magic torch, is caught the light of the LED set amidst a titanium case. It will shine still brighter when night is about you. May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Available, yes. I should be able to get a light in the mail within 24 hours of order or less.

Thanks again Don.

Unique Transaction ID #53XXXXXXXXXX3282X

Thanks Don, you !!!

Greetings from the Great Southern Land

You guys using these for photography, please feel free to share any images you feel like showing us!

Hi Don, will these be offered with you new Ti Mule - either head only or complete? Thanks.

Bass,
    The short answer is yes. The titanium mule head is a viable host for the Nichia 365 nm UV LED and the LED can be mated to either the 3S converter for 3V power sources or the 6V converter for power sources from say 5-9V. I can build or offer components accordingly for anyone interested.

I have edited the first post to include the titanium mule options.

Thanks Don.

E-mail sent for - Titanium Mule Head UV 3S.

Just got the confirmation. Thanks Don!

Thanks Don. Mule head housing your Nichia UV light engine arrived in double quick time

Having fun with it around the house at the moment but have some photography projects planned for the future.

I have ordered some UVex safety glasses that I will wear when using it. From the discussions earlier in this thread, I am not going to take any risk with my eyesight - it is too valuable.

Here are some shots from the studio.

And the light engines from the Nichia 119 and Sundrop under UV

Last edited by Bass; 10-31-2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Added image

Don - are these still the ncsu033a LED's? Mine is definitely different:

Tino's shot from back in April (Post 85)

And the LED in mine:

Is this an updated version? You wouldn't know the difference by looking - you need a macro shot or some magnification.

Just curious.
    Last edited by Bass; 10-29-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Bass,
    I didn't want to stir up any trouble but you found me out. I am now building with 033B's which are next generation and boast more mW of output.

Well that is a nice surprise. I knew there was a reason I waited and was dissapointed when you sold the last EN Mule- thanks Don!

033B's = 325mW
    033A's = 250mW

That is a significant boost - 30% !

I'm so tempted by the Nichia 119 Mule and 365nm Mule...

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Dime - they are great offerings. Sell a kidney!

I found this on Nichias site. List their UV leds with specs and down loadable PDF's : http://www.nichia.co.jp/en/product/uvled.html
    Last edited by Bass; 10-29-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Hey Don, I finally got a good example of erythrasma, with the UV McClicky Mule bringing up the coral red fluorescence characteristic of the porphyrins created by the Corynebacteria that cause this common skin infection

I transiently had the image here, but figured maybe we don't need fluorescent groins here. I'll mail you the (totally safe for work) image if you like.

RB
    Last edited by so 650; 03-27-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: thought better of it

RB,
    Sounds cool and useful not that I recognize the words or infection you bring up. Is this a condition not so recognizable under ambient full spectrum light or one that is easier to specifically identify by virtue of its UV signature? I recall as a kid a friend who had a UV light and zits and other anomalies in ones skin would show up under the light even though they were not really visible otherwise. I guess in a tanning booth one would look different?

It is hard to make the diagnosis without seeing the fluorescence as it can range from flat dark areas to elevated and pink to dark brown, and is variably itchy. The causative organisms aren't easily cultured. It's not frequently that I'm able to diagnose it with UV light. We'll often treat for it empirically if we've ruled out the other common things that cause similar rashes in similar areas.

Aw, what the heck. I'll post the pic here. It's entirely not person-identifiable, and without me telling you, you can't tell what the heck it is.

The white fragments are lint displaying the fluorescent effects of brighteners in laundry detergent, to make your whites whiter and colors brighter.

(sorry 'bout the blur, it was a handheld 1/8th sec exposure - not the light's fault!)

You're absolutely correct that UV light makes certain skin characteristics show up differently than visible light examination. In dermatology we commonly use UV to look at pigment variation; less often to look for things that have a characteristic fluorescence as in this case.

Many women (and some men) will be familiar with imaging "boxes" that take a UV light image of the facial skin to emphasize solar damage and age-related pigment changes. Most often this is used to peddle "anti-aging" products.

Just a reminder, kids, UV light is carcinogenic, so don't go lighting up your faces, groins, or other parts with your McGizmo UV lights. See the comments in the thread above about protecting your eyes! (And while I'm on my soapbox, please all of y'all, exercise reasonable caution with respect to sunlight exposure, perhaps especially if you're of Irish/Scottish heritage and live in Hawaii.)

I went for a Nichia UV P60- dropin last year, and am regretting it (the throw and spread are nothing like what I hear from Don's Mule here).

Don, Do you have any available (especially with the 33b LED ). Thanks

P.S. Hope you weathered the "wave" a couple of weeks back. A couple of friends of our that live down that way were high enough up that it didn't affect them. Hope you were equally lucky !!!

RB,
    Is the sun bad for your skin?

Sparkss,
    All versions as stated in the first of this thread are available and yes, I am using the 033B UV LED's.

Don, Sorry, I had been subscribed to this thread, following along with any new posts. I didn't think to check your first thread for updates on availability, etc.

Sparkss,
    No worries. I realize that some of these threads are old and some seem even more so after the forum crash.

Hi, Don.

Do you have the time to put together a Nichia 365nm UV Light Engine?
    I have an old EN Mule I'd like to put it in.

Which would be a good pair of protective eye wear?

Would the $20 Uvex Patriot NT57-049 work? Or is the Yellow colored $55 NT55-162 really the one to get?

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...productID=1604
    Small: MJP Extreme III Orb Raw Ti and NS
    Medium: Oveready Triple Copper E2e
    MJP-E3e (15-3Ostar) Surefire L4 (MC-E) LensLight Mini
    Large: Surefire M6-WA1185 M-Zep MZXR-7a

Edwood,
    I can build and ship you a LE anytime you want. I am no expert on the safety glasses but suspect any are fine, as stated.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast