Typhoon again

southplinker

Newly Enlightened
I'm located here in the Philippines and another typhoon is passing through ( Typhoon "Santi" international name: Mirinae) Metro Manila.

Last typhoon is typhoon "Ondoy" international name: Ketsana and if you google it you can see it's devastation here in the Philippines.

During Ketsana I had my Fenix P2d with me when the power was out but I had to save power since I was using a RCR123.

I had to get a new light and with a little research here I ended up with the Jetbeam Jet-I pro V3 which takes AA. That really helps out when your in this type of condition, power outages and you can grab AAs in almost any store here.

I just remembered I haven't thanked CPF and all the people that helped me decide to pick up this new light so Thanks everyone!:twothumbs

Last edited:

taiji

Enlightened
Kababayan, kumusta. I hope you and family are okay. take care. I have been using my aa lights more these days as the LED's and the drivers are getting more efficient. I've been EDC'ing my modified Romisen RC-G2 and am really happy with it. I also ordered the newer version with the warm tint for alkies/nimh backups as my modified current EDC is a 1.2 a Q3 5A 14500 mini beast.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
AA is definitely the way to go in an emergency; multiple chemistry types, good runtime, available everywhere including in devices all over your house, etc. Throw in a light with a good moon mode, like the Jetbeam, and just a few batteries is all you need for long-term lighting..

deranged_coder

Enlightened
When I saw the thread title I had to wonder to myself if the OP was from the Philippines... ;)

I recently shipped a box home to my folks in Manila and I packaged in there several flashlights that I had bought at Costco (a 3-pack of 3xAAA powered lights as well as a pair of lights that recharged via solar power) as well as a 48 pack of replacement batteries. When I fly home with my wife and daughter later this year (going home to spend holidays with our extended family) I will probably bring some more lights and batteries to leave with my parents and siblings.

Typhoon season is always pretty rough. I still recall many years ago when typhoon Ruping blew through our family did not have power at home for almost two months. My wife related to me that her family did not get power restored at home until almost 3 months afterwards.

Situations like that, runtime and easy availability of replacement primary cells are of great importance if you are choosing a light. Good call on the JetBeam. :)

amraspalantir

Newly Enlightened
That really helps out when your in this type of condition, power outages and you can grab AAs in almost any store here.

:twothumbs

That is so true kabayan.Thats why i got a D10 for my daily carry and
the TK40 (typhoon Mirinae tested!) for emergency usage.

hopefully we could have a wider selection of batteries and chargers
here soon.:)

danielo_d

Enlightened
Kababayan, kumusta.

Hope all is well with you and family. My in-laws just went back home. Will call them to see if all is well with them.

Good call on the AA. Like the idea of long-runtime lights, too.
Ingat! [take care!]

Danielo

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
maybe u can get a AA body for the p2d...or get a the quarkAA ( and u can buy a cr123a body if u wanted for the quark ) the quark has a moon mode which is 0.2 lumens and will last for days.

and do u have access to AAA easily? E01 would be great.

elumen8

Enlightened
I hope you and your loved ones are well. I have family members living there in the Philippines that finally understand my addiction to flashlights. Now they have a bunch of readily available AA lights lying around the house.

Stay safe and be well,

JB