Solarforce l2P - Need Advice Before Purchase

gouldian

Newly Enlightened
After reading the informative review on this light I'm going to buy one but I have a few questions which I hope you guys can answer. I will only use the light with CR123A batteries so is the 3V-6V LED the best option - is this better regulated that the LEDs with a greater voltage range when using primaries. Secondly the light is available with either an R2 or MC-E emitter (I think). The MC-E is more powerful at a stated 500 lumens but throw is important to me. Will the R2 throw farther than the MC-E and does the MC-E have heat regulation problems if used for extended periods in this type of light. Finally will the stainless steel bezel rings that are used on the standard L2's fit this light. Thanks

ionizedsky

Enlightened
After reading the informative review on this light I'm going to buy one but I have a few questions which I hope you guys can answer. I will only use the light with CR123A batteries so is the 3V-6V LED the best option - is this better regulated that the LEDs with a greater voltage range when using primaries. Secondly the light is available with either an R2 or MC-E emitter (I think). The MC-E is more powerful at a stated 500 lumens but throw is important to me. Will the R2 throw farther than the MC-E and does the MC-E have heat regulation problems if used for extended periods in this type of light. Finally will the stainless steel bezel rings that are used on the standard L2's fit this light. Thanks

The R2 is gonna throw farther than the MC-E. The MC-E in a light this small would certainly get hot after a few minutes, and would not be able to run long before it either kicked into thermal protection and shut itself off, that is if it is equipped with thermal protections and if it isn't it will just go :poof: I would stick with a module that is a little more versatile like maybe a 3v-9v that way if you decide to run RCR123 you can safely since RCR123 3.0v are actually 4.2v fresh off the charger. Plus you have the option to run a 18650 which would be nice for a much longer run time at full power, but most R2 even run for long lengths of time will go into thermal protection and shut off. So if you want something that will stay on you may think about a Malkoff M60.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Yes the XRE will throw significantly farther than the MCE.
No way an MCE drop in will emit 500L OTF of a P60 host... for very long. Yes you can direct drive an MCE with an IMR and get in the 550L neighborhood on a cold start, fresh off the charger.

But output is going to plummet rapidly once the LED starts to cook after 15-30 seconds. By the time you factor in the cells natural V-drop, that 500L light is really a ~350L. Yes I would expect the MCE to suffer thermal damage over the long term form such a light, when used for long ON cycles.

I think it really boils down to what kind of light you want, a floody light for within ~50 feet, or something geared more for ~60-100 feet out.

Last edited: