What next? I need suggestions

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
Ok so I joined CPF a few months back after googling the difference between candlepower and lumens (a noob thing to do) I knew it was love at first site. Since that time I have purchased:

G2L with the malkoff M60-for banging around
solarforce L2 with a dereelight 3SD SMO-for throw
6P bored for 18650 with the nailbender sst-90-for turning nightime into day
quark123 nontactical-for an EDC
fenix P1D CE-for backup
Ti quark123x2 non-tactical-for fun/latest LED technology bragging rights

My question is what should i get next? I love lights that are no larger than 2 cell, indestructible is a plus, and the latest LED is a must. Should I start looking at warm tints? A 2K "mag" mod "show-off" light? (sst-90 at full spec with A123 power?) Headlamps? None of that really intrigues me as much as these first lights did. I just don't know...I'm in a rut, right now it almost looks like I have everything I want....that scares me.

Please help me rekindle the love, someone suggest a beautiful $150 or less light that will keep me going. I feel like I went too quickly. The more suggestions the better as I will probably make a list and work my way through them. Thanks!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2L with the malkoff M60-for banging around
solarforce L2 with a dereelight 3SD SMO-for throw
6P bored for 18650 with the nailbender sst-90-for turning nightime into day
quark123 nontactical-for an EDC
fenix P1D CE-for backup
Ti quark123x2 non-tactical-for fun/latest LED technology bragging rights
Sponsor a new lighthound? :p

I would suggest commissioning a custom with something unique and yours - You're throwing some money around, so you may be interested in hitting the multi-hundred-per-light range to get a step-above-production light. LED Neutral is lovely, Warm is probably even better.

Mercury-arc lamp in a M@G for extreme pinpoint brightness, with a custom reflector for throw, so that you can shoot down passing planes? I don't even know if that's possible. But I think you'll have fun going Custom, I wish I had the $$ to even start on your shopping list ;)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
one piece per paycheck...and if my wife asks...each piece is about $20 :whistle:
one piece per paycheck...and if my wife asks...each piece is about $20 :whistle:
Understandable. If you have to stick really close to that, play with some aspherics - I hear the Tiablo has a good make, even my DX aspheric was great until I killed the tailcap.

Staying reasonably close to that kinda keeps you away from the pocket HIDs, doesn't it? You really ought to try a Neutral Quark, even if it means getting a Normal or Tactical Neutral Head, Body, and Tailcap separately. My AA^2 tactical NW is pretty :D

You could toy with grabbing a DX driver to run an LED in a stock body for WOW on the cheap, but tooling for much more than "Add wires and thermal paste" gets spacious and expensive. I hope someone else drops in with a shopping list, because this is about all the help I can give you. And there IS such a thing as "Enough light," even if there will always be shiny new lights ;)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there's nothing tempting you, then save your money. Keep watching and maybe something will tempt you later.

I bought 5 lights since joining CPF and plan to get one more. Then I'm done for a while simply because these were the lights that I wanted to experience. For some reason, none of the rest seem all that interesting to me.

Later on, once my workshop is ready, I'll probably try my hand at modding which means I'll probably get a P60 host. But not today.

--flatline

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
For real lol quit buying one with every pay check and wait.

It's time to leave the <100 area and get something a little higher up.

Maybe try out a good MCE light. Something with a massive amount of light. You've covered other areas.

rhotondm

Newly Enlightened
I agree, hold off on the <150 lights. Save a little and get a Malkoff Wildcat.

Or if you want to have fun with throw, maybe look at a DBS V3 with an aspherical lens.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
hmm i do love the P60 host for the simple fact that when a new LED comes out (SST-90 or XPG) i can just buy the drop-in and run it...maybe only at 1/4 power, but still i can. I dunno...its just weird looking at all the lights and not seeing something i must have lol. And i wasn't implying a real budget with the $20 per piece thing, that was more of a joke, my wife knows i run the finances, but she also knows how much i spend on everything.

HID and incan really seem like outdated technology, and LEDs are more what i want, but it just seams that i have covered the "pocket rocket" spectrum here and i was hoping for someone to point me to somethin new...although i would love to pick up a gotham those things are gorgeous.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
An LED thrower might be in order. I'd personally go for the Maglite mod.

You could always save up for an HID...

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need a "big gun" in your collection :D
Something that will bring a smile to your face when you switch it on.
It will also double up as your bedside "bump in the night" light
The brighter the better :cool:

Hmm ... something like a P7 or MC-E custom Mag or even with SST-90 or 50
Dont count out incans either, ROP Mag or Mag85
It you can stretch it, maybe a Surefire M6

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
thanks much for those links, i looked through each one carefully, and the first one (Jet I Pro w/IBS V3) fits into my style the best, but i don't like the AA power...and on a lithium ion AA it says 45 minutes at 245 lumens? is that even possible? it is a nice looking light though, perhaps it is time for me to start sacrificing lumens for CRI...

As far as RA lights go, i know that they are very highly regarded with good reason I am sure, but they seem a bit bulkier, lower powered, and more expensive than say a quark123. (I could buy 3 quarks for one RA) I just can't bring myself to justify that...yet :naughty:

thanks to everyone for their suggestions, and keep em coming, i will be in iraq for the next year or so, so building my own light isn't going to be possible ( i would love a high-binned sst-90 driven at 10 amps in an aspherical mag) so i guess thats what i'll do once i return.

pobox1475

Enlightened
don't like the AA power...and on a lithium ion AA it says 45 minutes at 245 lumens? is that even possible?
The versatility factor is hard to ignore. V3 light engine has been tweaked.

As far as RA lights go,more expensive than say a quark123.
Precisely why I have not acquired one.

i will be in iraq for the next year or so,
More reason to consider the AA form factor.

Upcoming JetBeam Raptor-0 sounds like your ideal light. Will utilize 123 or AA with included tube extension.