Looking for a small tactical flashlight.

Sgt.Rock

Newly Enlightened
Starting off, like to say hello from Texas to the forums. Have done a bit of lurking before joining, but glad I did now.

Basically, I'm looking for a small (pocket portable), hand-held flashlight that is powerful (in the range of 150-250 lumens), has a decent battery life, uses common batteries and is tough (also optionally with a red lens filter).

Here's a completed list

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

__x__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__x__I could spend $40-60.
__x__I am willing to spend $80-$120.

2) Format:

__x__I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

__x__I don't care.

__x__2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)

4) Width:

__x__I don't care.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

__x__I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
__x__I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
__x__I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__x__I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

(though I also would like a variable setting for different uses)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|x----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

__x__20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
__x__60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
__x__240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
__x__360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

(depends on the setting I assume, but best bang for buck kinda thing)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

__x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

__x__I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
__x__I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

__x__I want a push switch on the back end of the body.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

__x__A simple on-off is fine for me.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__x__I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

__x__I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

__x__I want a metal-bodied light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

__x__Red (night vision preserving) filter
__x__Other filter colors (Infrared)
__x__Waterproof – how deep: reasonable
__x__Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)

__x__Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish

__x__Belt/Jacket clip

I've been looking at the TK-10 lately, it seems like a very nice flashlight; but I was hoping y'all could chime in if there is anything better or whatnot.

Thank you.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
A big deal to me is that the light emits the amount of light I want. The Quark series has a good spread of settings, and the Nitecores usually allow you to choose whatever level you want below maximum. Start looking at those with Search, and you won't go far wrong (While sticking to the $60ish range).

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
welcome to CPF! :welcome:

hmm what i can think about is the Quark tactical series and quark turbo

the programing for them is basicly the same thing. and has two imediate choices of levels ( switching them by twisting the head ) but is capable of many more diffrent levels ( two at a time though )

i have the quark tactical with the neutral tint. havnt droped it so i dont know how tuff it is...

4seven's maelstorm is coming out soon also...should be something u should look in to..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Tactical Quarks, Nitecore Defender Infinity and Extreme, Eagletac lights, and Tiablo TL-1 are all good choices.

:welcome: