Olight M30 or Jetbeam M1X?

bigbas101

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys!

I've only posted a few times however I can assure you I have spend HOURS UPON HOURS of reading on this forum in the last month or so. I want to personally THANK YOU ALL for getting me hassled by my GF for having yet another hobby, as if guns and knives weren't enough! :crackup: OK OK, back on track, I currently have a Surefire 6P LED and a Olight M20 Premium R2...I LOVE THE OLIGHT and i really like the surefire as well. I'm looking to get a brighter light (between 600-800 lumen's) that will give me good throw (want to shine it on the hill in front of my house and thats about 200 yards away) and also a little bit of useful spill where I could use it on walks at night and stuff like that.

SO with that information, what do you guys think...the Olight M30 or the Jetbeam M1X? I love my M20 and would love another Olight however I'm worried the M30 may not provide a sufficient amount of throw (200 yrds). Plus with all the positive threads about the M1X, it makes it sooo difficult to decide!

AHHHHH PLEASE HELP MEEEEEE! lovecpf

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam M1X.

Neither of those lights will give you 600-800 Lumens however, more like 450 or so out the front for the Jetbeam.

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really, but in a way.

Most manufacturers tend to use "emitter lumens" for their ratings, which means how much light is being emitted at the LED itself.

Out the front is what counts, as it is what is actually coming out of the light, after traveling through all necessary mediums, air, lens etc etc.

Surefire are know to use very conservative "out the front" readings, resulting in higher output then expected.
Whereas many of the chinese companies tend to either use emitter ratings, or slightly over-rated out the front readings.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
I went threw the same dilemma a while back and went with the Jetbeam M1X. Dont regret it one bit. Quality is top notch and the programabble mode is very cool. The only issue about the M30 that put me off was the flickering in the lower modes.

rhotondm

Newly Enlightened
Well I have an M30 but do not have an M1X. If it is throw you are looking for then I wouldnt get the M30. Yes, it is very bright but it is not meant for throw. It does however have a very good flood and spill. The M30 has an OP reflector and the M1X has a smooth reflector. I have a Jetbeam RRT-2 that can out throw my M30.
I would like to make another suggestion for you if you are looking for a good throw light. If you want to light something up 200 yards away I would suggest looking at a Dereelight DBS V3 R2. I just just this light a few days ago and I am ammazed at the throw. It is also 40 dollars less than the M1X. Just another option for you to consider. There are so many good lights out there. I am also going to send to a PM.

bigbas101

Newly Enlightened
ahhh ok I got it. Good to know, thanks!

It sounds like the M1X is what I will need to accomplish the throw I am wanting.

RHOTONDM: I will look into the Dereelight, Thanks for the suggestion!

So far:

Jetbeam M1X: 3

Olight M30: 0

This forum is great!

Last edited:

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
If you go for the Dereelight DBS R2 you can get the MCE pill/reflector and extension to pump up the lumens. I have the DBS R2 and use it with the MCE reflector for great throw but hotspot is bigger. I have the Olight and the flicker on low level does bother me some.
Good luck.
James, imgadgetman

bigbas101

Newly Enlightened
I am looking into the dereelight but I didnt know about swapping out the pill/ reflector. More reading for me! haha

Thanks for the reply man, all the help I can get is appreciated. I just honestly can not believe how deep I fell into the flashlight addiction in the matter of a month!

rhotondm

Newly Enlightened
Thats why I am a big fan of Malkoff and Dereelight. You have so many options while not spending all the money on buying a whole new flashlight. Just buy a SMO or OP reflector and or maybe a different pill and swap them in. And when new technology comes out, just buy the new pill and you have the most up to date light available. You don't really have that option with JB or Fenix lights.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Well I have an M30 but do not have an M1X. If it is throw you are looking for then I wouldnt get the M30. Yes, it is very bright but it is not meant for throw. It does however have a very good flood and spill. The M30 has an OP reflector and the M1X has a smooth reflector. I have a Jetbeam RRT-2 that can out throw my M30.
I would like to make another suggestion for you if you are looking for a good throw light. If you want to light something up 200 yards away I would suggest looking at a Dereelight DBS V3 R2. I just just this light a few days ago and I am ammazed at the throw. It is also 40 dollars less than the M1X. Just another option for you to consider. There are so many good lights out there. I am also going to send to a PM.

Actually the M1X has an orange peel reflector, but it is way bigger. The M1X is the throw king!

bigbas101

Newly Enlightened
Why do I have a feeling that I am going to get both of them?! I think the M1X will be first, I read there is a version 4 coming out, I'm not really clear on the difference between the current version and the soon to come, V 4. I guess i'll just wait it out and see, I would hate to buy it now and have a better one come out in a week.

cbxer55

Enlightened
I have an M30, and no M1X.
Man, the light the M30 throwsis absolutely incredible. Everytime I use it, I get asked what kind of light and where can one be found. Just tonight, halloween night, I was using the strobe on the front porch in a darkened neighborhood. Later, a lady asked who was using the strobe light?
Guy across the street, pretending to be the Texas Chainsaw guy, shined a light in my face. I blazed him with the M30. He said, Okay, Okay, you win!:D

The M30 is one helluva light, best I have, hands down. Way better than my Surefire U2 and M2. And a heckuva lot brighter too!

The Surefires are shelf queens now.:D

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Take a peak at this review.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/230019

There are some great picts of both lights. The M1X definately out throws the M30. But the huge bright spill of the M30 is amazing. The spill is quite a bit bigger than the M1X. Just make sure you know what you want in a high output flashlight. I prefer the M30 beam over other lights I have, including a M2XC4. Especially when walking through the neighborhood or woods. Also, the size is a bonus.

Bass

Enlightened
I am also interested in the M1X. Better looking light, further throw and a programmable mode, appeal to me.

I have also heard about a 'V4'. Does anyone have any more info or a link?

easilyled

Flashaholic
I have both lights.

Both can be used with 2 18500s which makes them more compact.
Personally I prefer sacrificing some runtime in order to have a smaller light.
Even using 2 18500s, because of the large head on the M1-X, the M30 is still considerably smaller, and is the ideal size to fit in a coat pocket.
I would carry the M1-X in a small shoulder-strap pouch on the other hand.

The big head on the M1-X is obviously to accommodate a wide, deep reflector, which provides more throw than the M30.
The M1-X is more suitable for long-range illumination, whereas the M30 provides a more all-round, general purpose beam for mid-range illumination.
Having said that, the M30 will surprise you with how far, its very wide bright beam will punch through the air.

One more advantage of the M30 is that it tailstands.
When the low level is selected, this feature is particularly useful since it acts as a low-illumination lamp, ideal for sleep-adjusted eyes.
eg. You wake up at night and want to look for your glass of water or your Aspirin tablets without blinding yourself!

I like both of them, but find the M30 more practical because of its size and the fact that I rarely need such long-distance illumination
as provided by the M1-X. Horses for courses, as they say.

bigbas101

Newly Enlightened
I have both lights.

Both can be used with 2 18500s which makes them more compact.
Personally I prefer sacrificing some runtime in order to have a smaller light.
Even using 2 18500s, because of the large head on the M1-X, the M30 is still considerably smaller, and is the ideal size to fit in a coat pocket.
I would carry the M1-X in a small shoulder-strap pouch on the other hand.

The big head on the M1-X is obviously to accommodate a wide, deep reflector, which provides more throw than the M30.
The M1-X is more suitable for long-range illumination, whereas the M30 provides a more all-round, general purpose beam for mid-range illumination.
Having said that, the M30 will surprise you with how far, its very wide bright beam will punch through the air.

One more advantage of the M30 is that it tailstands.
When the low level is selected, this feature is particularly useful since it acts as a low-illumination lamp, ideal for sleep-adjusted eyes.
eg. You wake up at night and want to look for your glass of water or your Aspirin tablets without blinding yourself!

I like both of them, but find the M30 more practical because of its size and the fact that I rarely need such long-distance illumination
as provided by the M1-X. Horses for courses, as they say.

Very useful response, thank you, thanks to all the other responses as well....they all helped! I have decided to get both of the lights, I just cant choose and since they provide different uses, I have convinced myself to get both. :twothumbs I am going to get the M1X first, and next month I'll get the M30...man, this is fun! :grin2: