Energizer coin cell keychain light at Best Buy

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened
I was in a Best Buy store tonight and saw an interesting keychain light by Energizer. It was up near the checkout area.

It had 3 modes and a really nice big push button switch on top and 3 modes - high, medium and flashing, blue tint. Push the button once and a nice click and it was on, again and it went to the lower light level and again it went to flashing and then last click went to off. The package also said it had an automatic shutoff at some number of minutes.

I compared it to my Streamlight Nano and high was much brighter and a bigger spot than the Nano, and medium was as bright or a little brighter than the Nano.

I was kind of thick fauxton shape and ran on two 2016 cells I think.

Price was $8.

I did some searches on the net and haven't been able to find it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You can get a keychain light at Target for $7 that is high/low/strobe or program to momentary on in several colors which I found my green led one it was effortless to swap in a white LED without soldering so I upgraded to a 35000mcd LED.

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened
I was in a Best Buy store again and picked up this light.

I really like the push button switch - click once for high, twice for low, 3 times for blinking (never use that one), and once it has been on for a few seconds, the next click is off.

It seems bright and has a lot of flood. Brighter than my Nano but the Nano's batteries are getting old so it may not be a fair comparison.

The case is metal and it has some nice weight and feel to it. The metal case is recessed around the exposed led so it helps reflect the light out for some nice throw.

It has a white led but seems to have some very light blue tint to it on a white wall (similar to the Nano).

For web searches use: Energizer Hi-Tech Keychain Light

base_media

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
the Inova I got from Target works the same way..... but unless you click it soon after the first click it just turns off instead of cycling through high/low/strobe. I believe you can program it so that it is only momentary on also so you don't accidentally turn it on and kill the batteries. I rarely use coin cell lights but find myself using this one around the house when I am wearing shorts and not carrying my keychain with my LD01 on it. The low mode on these lights is wonderful at night it both saves batteries and gives you just enough to get around with.

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened
The package says the case is a lightweight zinc alloy, but it has a nice heavy feel to it.

There is also an automatic shut off after 30 minutes.

I really like the clicky button on it because I always hated the lights that require constant pressure on their buttons to keep them turned on and even the ones with little slide switches aren't ideal.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
the electronic switch lights are more useful for other than a quick blast you can use them in emergencies to work on stuff as they are hands free and the slide switch ones are not very reliable IMO. If I could get more of these Inova ones for the $3 I paid on clearance I would buy a half dozen more just because you can easily change the LEDs out using any color even a UV one if you have one and the clip on them is flat you can clip one on your shirt if you dont' have a pocket.

Impulses

Newly Enlightened
have seen and tried this light.
solid little keychain light but no idea abouts its durability.

It's ridiculously durable, I've lost track of how long I've had mine, it's easily going on five years... Maybe longer, it was already on my keychain when I put my first micro SD reader on it which was before my first smartphone 4 years ago.

It's been riding on my keychain the whole time along with my house keys, car club keys, and one of those micro SD USB readers (the Elago one Amazon sells, where the card slides into the USB port itself). It's been dropped dozens upon dozens of times, I'm honestly shocked it never landed hard enough on the LED to kill it since it's exposed and it has some weight to it, the 2016 cells aren't too expensive when bought as twelve packs online and I'm pretty sure runtime on it is underrated.

Honestly, I've been getting into higher quality lights lately but I've yet to see anything more appealing for my keychain. DQG Tiny or a P0 is still too big, I keep my car keys separate, this keychain with the reader + two keys usually slips right into the small coin front pocket of my jeans/not so dressy pants. I've been looking at some more exotic stuff like the MBI lights or the Quantum DD but for the price/size this little Energizer light is checking out.

I have no idea if there's any sort of emitter roulette, I bought three or four years ago and both my sister and mother are still using theirs as well. I keep meaning to get a backup but since it's always been in stock at Amazon/Best Buy I haven't even bothered. I've compared it to every other button cell light I've come across including some of the plastic Photons with the sliding switch + momentary press and it's seemed as bright or brighter.

I should probably slip some new batteries on it and compare it to the low modes on my SC52 just to get a better feel for it, I've got an i3s on the way too which I might start pocket carrying but I doubt it'll displace the little Energizer, at best it might find a place next to my car keys on the other keychain. I've seen a couple lights that use the smaller/fatter LR41 cells, I think I remember thinking they were spec'd for longer run times, but they were either twisties or didn't look as ergonomic for my keychain (keys sit flat against the back of the Energizer in my coin pocket:...

Any inherent benefit to a couple LR41s over CR2016s? I actually have tiny RC toys that use both (along with a Bluetoothremotething and other stuff) so I tend to have both on hand. Sorry for the Necro thread, figured I'd add more info for a little unknown light.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The description of the Energizer coin-cell light - 2xCR2016, zinc alloy, electronic switch, 2 level plus strobe, a bit larger and heavier than most button cell lights - sounds like the Energizer light my wife has been carrying around for at least a couple years. About once a year I have to replace the 2016s. Surprisingly bright! and as some other posters noted, the electronic switch that can be clicked once and the light stays on or clicked again and the light turns off, is the only switch type we will keep around. The various button-cell lights that have to be squeezed to get some light are an absolute no way! ditto for the slide switch lights. The slide switch style becomes very troublesome and often will not either slide or stay on.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Any inherent benefit to a couple LR41s over CR2016s? I actually have tiny RC toys that use both (along with a Bluetoothremotething and other stuff) so I tend to have both on hand. Sorry for the Necro thread, figured I'd add more info for a little unknown light.
LR41 (AG3) is alkaline (usually) button cells and have only a fraction of the amount of power that a 2016 lithium has. Alkalines of any sort can leak while lithiums almost never leak and if they do the leaks are usually not an issue. AG3 are not the most common button cell but can get purchased cheap in some places about a dime each but IMO it probably takes 4 of them to equal a 2016 due to half voltage and high internal resistance the LR41 is 35mah while the 2016 is about 85mah. I have a tiny light that uses 4 LR41/AG3 batteries and the batteries in them tend to go bad sitting around I rarely use it while the 2016 cells last over twice as long in storage.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1.

I had 3 of the small LR41 eGear lights, lost one, and one of the Nano lights, all with 4xLR41 cells. They are used sometimes for my Mother Nature runs in the middle of the night, if I do not need something more to look around for cat 'presents' (3 cats involuntarily, hopefully temporary). I no longer stuff alkaline cells in them.

In an attempt to try to use the LR41 lights, I purchased 50 of the the Silver Oxide cells Energizer 392/384 cells. Not bad, certainly last a usefully longer amount of time, but the X-Light which I carry on my keychain makes so much more sense. Sooner or later I willl donate my existing stock of LR41 lights and cells.