Possible Problems with New Fenix LD01

gaslight

Newly Enlightened
Hello.

I am new to the CPF fourms and had a question about a light I just purchased.

I got the Fenix LD01. This may jumpstart my led flashlight collection. I have a couple of Streamlights (Ultra Stinger and Polystinger).

Anyway- It has 3 modes (Low,Medium,High) Switches by twisting the head. (But you probably knew that :grin2:)

I have been trying it out and it switches between all three modes, I have been using the highest setting the most to see its full power.

When using the lowest setting, it sometimes starts to flicker and then
changes to its highest setting and stays there. Am I doing something wrong? Is this unit defective?

Hopfully its me or its fixable, if not gotta do a return! :(

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Gaslight and :welcome:

The problem you experience seems to me as coming from an uncertain contact between the edge of the body and the corresponding metallic ring at the bottom of the head. The circuit probably sees this non-firm contact as a switching action from your side.

Try first of all to clean both the said edge of the body tube and the contacts in the head with a q-tip and alcohol: it is quite likely that the problem will disappear.

Remember also that to ensure a good contact you have to tighten sufficiently the head when you switch on your LD01. Not much force is required by surely a firm tightening is needed.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Kilovolt said clean the contacts first and also ensure a fresh battery. Hopefully you got it from a dealer that has good customer service. Hope you figure it out.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
As said by the previous two posters, clean the contacts, and check with a fresh battery.

It's a good idea to clean the contacts of a fresh new light.

:welcome:

gaslight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your warm welcomes and quick replies! I switched the battery and same problem. I am going to clean the contacts with q-tip and alcohol wipe right now..........brb

Ok, cleaned the contacts and same problem. It stays on lowest setting for about 15 seconds then starts to flicker sometimes but always switches to highest setting and will stay there until the battery runs out it seems.
Actually doing some troubleshooting and it will not stay on "medium" as well and both the low and medium have a high frequency whine when held close to your ear. The highest setting which seems fine does not have the whine. :shrug:

I purchaed from Amazon so I can return easily. At least I have an LD20 :twothumbs on the way until I get a new LD01 back.

Thanks again, I will post an update on the replacement when I get it.
I wonder if these sit in Amazons warehouses for a long time compared to other websites which sell strictly flashlights.