Intrinsically safe flashlight

cloggy

Newly Enlightened
I work for the UK border agency and spend part of my time on ships and in evironments that require an intrinsically safe flashlight. We are issued with an assortment of Bright Stars and Ever Readys but I am looking for alternatives-any suggestions?

Knights of Ni

Newly Enlightened
Check the surefire website the Fire service lights are rated MIL-STD-810.(models G2D and G2L) I am not sure if that is the same rating that you are needing.
Regards
Knights of Ni

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is an "intrinsically safe" flashlight?
A light that has been approved for use is explosive environments like coal mines, silos, chemical plants, refineries, etc.
The light is constructed in a way that it doesn't produce a spark or ignition source that can ignite the vapors in the environment it is used in. This also means it can't provide a ignition source if dropped, banged around, or comes in contact with live circuits.

From Wiki,
""The theory behind intrinsic safety is to ensure that the available electrical and thermal energy in the system is always low enough that ignition of the hazardous atmosphere cannot occur. This is achieved by ensuring that only low voltages and currents enter the hazardous area, and that all electric supply and signal wires are protected by zener safety barriers. Sometimes an alternative type of barrier known as a galvanic isolation barrier may be used.
In normal uses, electrical equipment often creates internal tiny sparks in switches, motor brushes, connectors, and in other places. Such sparks can ignite flammable substances present in air. A device termed intrinsically safe is designed to not contain any components that produce sparks or which can hold enough energy to produce a spark of sufficient energy to cause an ignition.""

Last edited:

lightplay22

Enlightened
You may check streamlight as I know they make firefighter oriented products but I'm not sure about the certification.

I think most pelican lights are certified.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight does some as well. Pelican, as already noted, is a fantastic choice as their main market are people in those lines of work.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I work for the UK border agency and spend part of my time on ships and in evironments that require an intrinsically safe flashlight. We are issued with an assortment of Bright Stars and Ever Readys but I am looking for alternatives-any suggestions?
Welcome to CPF!

:caution:
You should not act unilaterally and use your own torch/flashlight for the application you mention.

Use of any equipment other than that supplied by your employer in classified hazardous areas is likely to be 'in breach' of the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmosphere Regulations 2002 (DSEAR) (UK implementation of the ATEX Safety Directive), the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER98), the Equipment and Protective Systems Intended for use in Potentially Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 1996 (EPS) and/or the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 (HSW).
I'm not sure that the Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (Provision and use of work equipment) Regulations 2006 applies to those boarding 'ships' to perform inspections unless operating from another vessel but it appears to enshrine the same safety requirements.

Work equipment (such as illumination tools 'torches/flashlights') must only be brought into service if the explosion protection document indicates that they can be safely used in an explosive atmosphere.

Whilst it may be that the equipment you want to use is actually suitable, perhaps even rated for a more hazardous area than the Zone(s) you will be working in but it is the legal duty and responsibility of your employer to ensure the equipment is suitable - it is safe and all those who could use it have been trained in its safe operation & maintenance etc.

There is likely a process to get a new item of work equipment into the Explosion Protection Document, perhaps made easier if you provide copies of the ATEX safety test certificates, operating manuals and other materials such a risk assessments. However, I doubt the UK Border Agency are comfortable with the use of personally purchased work equipment, especially for use in potentially explosive atmospheres. Health and Safety Representatives and/or Representatives of Employee Safety would likely need to be consulted about any changes or additions of non-standard work equipment. What is 'okay' for one individual employee may not be appropriate for 'all'.

You may not realise all the safety consequences of adding a new item of work equipment to the mix. This may seem like a lot of fuss but the bottom line is that you, your co-workers and your customers go home every day safe and healthy able to live your lives beyond work as well as return to work and perform your jobs.

Last edited:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there you have it. Nobody says it better than Al. He covers all the bases.

That is a great reality check for the OP as well as all of us. Just because we have or know of the solution doesn't mean it should be implemented.

I was going to suggest the Pelican SabreLight 2000, which has the most safety approvals of any light available and probably is even safer than the OP's issued lights. But if it isn't approved through his employer, then it's still a risk.

If anything, cloggy might try to submit one or more of the Pelican lights for review and possible official use. But to just bring it to use is foolhardy and could carry very dire consequences.

Good Luck, cloggy, and be safe.:)

cloggy

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks to all who replied to my question- I am always amazed by the depth of knowledge displayed by members of the forum and have not been disappointed this time. Particular thanks to size15s for his reply, I am aware of the requirements I need to meet is hazardous areas and he is right in everything he says. We are occasionally asked to evaluate new items of equipment and suggest alternatives which was the point of my query, my apologies for not being clearer.I may order a sabrelight 2000 out of curiosity and for personal use to add to my ever-growing flashlight collection!

Size15's

Flashaholic
...We are occasionally asked to evaluate new items of equipment and suggest alternatives which was the point of my query...
Excellent.

BTW I'm a Representative of Employee Safety at the Environment Agency, partly so I can inform and influence procurement of new work equipment and PPE through the 'proper channels'.

So now we can continue with suggestions of products :thumbsup:
My suggestion is to start with those with ATEX certification and if no suitable product is discovered work out from there...

I have a Pelican Super SabreLite Submersible for my personal use. I believe the ones in this link are tested to be even more safe.

enforcer

Newly Enlightened
I know of quite a few:

Led Intrinsically safe flashlights:

Surefire G3D

Wolf Atex led torches

Bulb Intrinsically safe flashlights:

Pelican StealthLite™ 2400 Flashlight

Wolf Atex torches (used by the UK fire brigades)