Another Quark or branch out?

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an AA light. I I've got it down to a Quark AA Tactical Warm and a Jetbeam Jet I Pro w/IBS V3 (also Neutral).

I like the momentary on of my Quark 123^2 NW Tac but the 3 settings of the Jetbeam intrigues me. I've heard the JB is more throwy while the Quark offers better flood for daily usages. Just curious to hear from people that own one or both of these models.

Which would you buy?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I like AA X 2 lights. I don't really "get" AA X 1 lights because the CR123 form is about the same size but with more juice.

Anyway I only have one AA X 2 light, a Fenix in the kitchen. I Like USING the AA X 2 but not carrying it so I guess I have no reason to buy another. They are nice though and I'd love to try a Quark Turbo....

pobox1475

Enlightened
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Gave my son my LumaPower ConneXion for his recent 21st birthday. Now I feel the need to replace it since it was my only AA. I have a standard warm 123 clipless that I keep on the strap of my EDB and a warm tac 123(2) to use around the house and yards. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Jet I with a OP reflector and 5A. Kinda figure I have the Quark (they are great) bases covered and the idea of a pocket thrower is tempting :devil:. After that a true thrower will be next. Probably a warm DBS single output 18650.

I like AA X 2 lights. I don't really "get" AA X 1 lights because the CR123 form is about the same size but with more juice.
Tend to be too long for pocket carry IMO.

Lagerregal

Newly Enlightened
Both are good lights.
Jet:
+minimal better throw
+brighter spill(!)
+can tailsatand
+overall brighter (driven at about 1A; Quark at 700mA)
+3 modes
+can use surefire diffusor for perfect even spillbeam
+stainless steel bezel
(+imho better clip)

Quark:
+momentary activation
+lower low (but only two fast accessable modes)
+bigger spill
+cheaper
+lego(!)
+longer warranty
+artifact-free beam

If the only thing you want is throw in a small form-factor, then buy one. you will be happy with either one.

If you want a bright edc, i would wait till there are the new xp-gs in neutral white.

@recDNA: 1AA is pretty cool: rechargeable 14500 have more capacity than the corresponding rcr123. Plus for AA-format there are cheap primaries (alkaline aa, 1,5V) which you can get everywhere and 3,6V SAFT primaries, which seem to be better than any cr123 :)

liquidsix

Enlightened
I don't really "get" AA X 1 lights because the CR123 form is about the same size but with more juice.

AA x 1 with a 14500 gives you about the same amount of 'juice' as a CR123 but it's rechargeable! I won't even mention RCRs I'm not sure why anyone bothers with those. And with the AA x 1 quark you can always use a plain old AA as a back-up.

I like the size of the Quark 123 but not enough give up the advantages of the AA x 1.

pobox1475

Enlightened
I won't even mention RCRs I'm not sure why anyone bothers with those.
? Allows for a compact easy to carry light with good output. Can be used over and over. Some of the best designed lights use this format, Ra's for example.

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
If you want a bright edc, i would wait till there are the new xp-gs in neutral white.

I'm tempted to take this route. Though I am constantly overcome by this desire to buy more flashlights. I think, in the end, I'll probably end up waiting for the new XP-G NW. It's just a question of when they are due to come out. Anyone know?

Also, I agree about the 2AA format. I little long for EDC but great to grab when I know I'm going to need a light. In that case I have a Fenix L2D.

d1337

Enlightened
The best reason to go with the Quark: If you bought my Jet 1 Pro V3 I would run out and buy the Quark. Then you would be sad because I would be posting about how great the Quark is and you would be thinking you should have gone with the Quark.;)

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
The best reason to go with the Quark: If you bought my Jet 1 Pro V3 I would run out and buy the Quark. Then you would be sad because I would be posting about how great the Quark is and you would be thinking you should have gone with the Quark.;)

If that's not an incentive to buy your Jetbeam, I don't know what is. :crackup:

I think it's the slight price difference and the momentary on that will eventually force me to buy a Quark. Yes, force me. That's what I'm going to keep telling myself.

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
I may just have to use the standard CPF policy and buy both. Or maybe get the Jet and then wait for a new Neutral XPG to be released.