M60 W tint variation

GunSmoke16610

Enlightened
Hey guys,

What type of tint variation can I expect when compairing diffrent Malkoff M60's. For example between the W MCE and a W60F ?

Thanks

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know(assumption), the Malkoff "warms" are all 5A tint.
The simplest thing you can do is look at the graph for neutral Crees, and see the difference in tint at each extreme of the section dedicated to the 5A bin.

You can't really "expect" a certain amount of variation, because there's no way to control or predict the exact tint of individual emitters. I mean, that's what variation is, after all.
For instance, I've had all of the M60W variants except the MC-E, and they were all very similar in tint. However, even LEDs within the same bin can exhibit visible differences, because the bin code signifies a range of color within the spectrum, not a specific point.
Plus, there's no law saying Gene has to use 5A tint exclusively.
The ones I have owned were all purchased within a short period of time, and are all less red than the other 5A lights I've had, but less yellow than my two 5Bs.
That doesn't mean the same would be true if I were to buy another one today.
Most of the time, when you have LEDs with the same tint designation, you're not going to notice much variation in actual use, though it will sometimes be very apparent in a side by side comparison. And of course, there will be exceptions that either skirt the edge of a bin, or due to some tiny defect that affects color, may not belong in that bin at all. Manufacturing techniques have apparently become more sophisticated, and binning a more reliable indicator of the finished products actual color, but nothing's perfect.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the graph, compliments of forumite "DFiorentino":
creexlampnwwfullix9.jpg

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I have a M60WLF and a M60WL that are just beautifully warm, like a SF M6. Love them!

Than I have a M30W and M30WF that arent nearly as warm, closer to neutral.

So there is definitely a varaition.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an MC-E Warm and currently have an M60W. They are/were both very warm. The MC-E looked just like an incandecent bulb. The M60W is also very warm, but not quite as much as the MC-E was. Still, closer to an incandescent than any other tint I've seen.

GunSmoke16610

Enlightened
As far as I know(assumption), the Malkoff "warms" are all 5A tint.
The simplest thing you can do is look at the graph for neutral Crees, and see the difference in tint at each extreme of the section dedicated to the 5A bin.

You can't really "expect" a certain amount of variation, because there's no way to control or predict the exact tint of individual emitters. I mean, that's what variation is, after all.
For instance, I've had all of the M60W variants except the MC-E, and they were all very similar in tint. However, even LEDs within the same bin can exhibit visible differences, because the bin code signifies a range of color within the spectrum, not a specific point.
Plus, there's no law saying Gene has to use 5A tint exclusively.
The ones I have owned were all purchased within a short period of time, and are all less red than the other 5A lights I've had, but less yellow than my two 5Bs.
That doesn't mean the same would be true if I were to buy another one today.
Most of the time, when you have LEDs with the same tint designation, you're not going to notice much variation in actual use, though it will sometimes be very apparent in a side by side comparison. And of course, there will be exceptions that either skirt the edge of a bin, or due to some tiny defect that affects color, may not belong in that bin at all. Manufacturing techniques have apparently become more sophisticated, and binning a more reliable indicator of the finished products actual color, but nothing's perfect.

Hi Owen- B'ham here. Excellent information, I really appreciate it.

First, I was not aware that Malkoff uses 5A tint emitters this really helps me understand the potential. Next, and I think that this maybe a moronic question but, here goes, are the colors in the chart tints that we with our eyes can detect?

I have a very warm close to Ican. M60WF and just bought another W-MCE that seem visually to me closer to a 4D. Again, great information thanks everyone for the responses.