My Brinkmann 3AA 1 watt Luxeon

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Hi all,

Lamba was awesome enough to sell me a 1 Watt Luxeon emitter, a heatsink for the Brinkmann 3AA, some wire, a NX05 optic, and a lot of help and pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I received the package today, and an hour later I've got me one cool light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

On Mr. Bulk's website, he mentions finishing the heatsink with 600 grit sandpaper and relieving the backside, so I figured I should too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lambda suggested I sand the end of the Brinkmann tube flat for better heat transfer, so I did that too.

I attached the wires to the Brinkmann's stock pin contacts, and attached the heatsink and LED with Arctic Silver epoxy. Soldered up the Luxeon, and woohoo! I really like this light (did I say that already?)

Thanks for the tips and parts, Lambda! <- Cool guy, he is.

top_end.jpg

heatsink.jpg

mounted.jpg

wired.jpg

finished.jpg

Beamshots. These were taken with fixed camera exposure settings and the white balance set to daylight. The colors are all pretty accurate, only not quite so green.

Brinkmann
LGI.jpg

Arc LSH-P
Arc_LSH-P.jpg

BB500 with McFlood Reflector
BB500_McFlood.jpg

E2e
E2e.jpg

Pila G3R
Pila_G3R.jpg

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice!

i did a very similar mod a long time ago, but dropped it on it's head while using an acrylic ball /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
smashed the poor luxeon to bits.

then i got a lathe and made my own dropin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod chief! Wow! Beats the pants off the LSH-P!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I know, I know... not a fair comparison.

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Same way you do, MR Bulk. Lambda was nice enough to send me an extra bulb base, so I removed the pins, soldered the wires on, then replaced them. Works great.

This is with a Q2L. If I can find a better binned LED, I may make another one, but this time with a 1/4" thick copper heatsink. I love the form factor and the brightness.