Trick-or-treaters

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
I cant believe the crappy quality, plastic bodied, low output, half-full battery lights that parents are carrying that are showing up at my house on Halloween. If you are going to walk around at night with your kids, and your only illumination could potentially be a flashlight, at least invest in a good Mag or something. That's my rant, and I'm sticking to it!

R@ndom

Enlightened
It's good that they don't have flashlights. So that they couldn't aim eggs as well as they did.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
I would have to agree, I just wowed a parent with the low mode on my LX2. The parent literally went "wow" when he saw how much light was coming out. This was compared to one of those cheap 2 D or C cell incandescent plastic lights.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to believe after hanging around here but the vast majority people don't invest much thought in what flashlight they use or the condition of it's batteries.

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
Even as a noob I was surprised at how many lights looked like pen lights. Even some of the older kids only used glow sticks.

One of my neighbors met up with us for 'treating. I immediately recognized it as a dollar store 2xAA light. :sick2:

I had a 4xD Maglite in hand and my Proton on my belt. Even though I have higher output lights than the Mag, I wanted to relax and enjoy the lovely foliage on Halloween with a nice warm incan.

Even my kid's costume had better output than most lights (wish I could figure out how to post a pic from the PC). He was an astronaut; I had taped a couple of cheapo 9-LED (3xAAA) lights on his helmet. I actually ended up giving my neighbor one of those lights since it was so much better than the one she had :rolleyes:

Cinder

Newly Enlightened
I had taped a couple of cheapo 9-LED (3xAAA) lights on his helmet.

Really interested in seeing this :tinfoil: Must've been the brightest kid on the block.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
I completly agree with the OP. I was at a good friends house helping her with all the kids,as I live out in the quiet country. She handed out the candy and I gave out Lighthound .99 keychain lights. I had a good supply and it was a blast! To watch two or three kids walk down the street with lights brighter than Dad's D cell was priceless! Maybe Lighthound will get some new customers when "Dad" sees the web site address on the light. I hope so...he could use a new light!

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
Really interested in seeing this :tinfoil: Must've been the brightest kid on the block.

Yeah, but the wife scolded me and made me turn them off 'cause it was hurting everyone's eyes. Just as well since it made the helmet top heavy and he had a hard time keeping it on. :crackup:

curtispdx

Enlightened
Kinda off topic: Sadly, I saw more older kids this year. Seriously, I wanted to say "See you next year, unless you're off to college or something..."

Oh, wait! I just remembered something to get this reply back on topic: My wife asked me which light she should take and first wanted one with a lot of throw but changed her mind and wanted a floodier light. (She ended up taking the MD4/MCE combo.)

I love her.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live way out in the middle of nowhere so no streetlights and few houses in between / no side walks. I went to a party last night and this little rural road was packed so thick with trick-or-treaters you couldn't drive anywhere. That plus the entire night giving out candy I only spotted 4 people with dieing 2d Incans! There was literally miles of families walking on pitch black main roads! Later around 9:30 my friends decided it would be fun to go trick or treating themselves "even though they are seniors in high school:thinking:?" I went to supply light;). I had with me my EO-13_3x 18650 M90X Wolf eyes. I have to admit this is one of my favorite setups ever:twothumbs, nothing like a 700 lumen wall of light that can reach 250 yards and never heats up even after 45 minuets of use. Well even at this late hour I still saw some families walking around in the dark. I have to admit even though those 2d plastic Incans are only useful for place markers "pointing straight down at the ground" they can give some warning to drivers. It's just plane irresponsible for parents to not have any marking devices at all:shakehead.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my kids the smallest lights that I had that didn't have MOM switches (the lights that I have with MOM switches turn off when you let go of the switches). One was a 12VSpotlight and the other was a Mini-MagLite with Nite-Ize 3LED drop-in. My kids had better lights than most adults we encountered. One guy was running around with one of those wind-up lights and he kept winding it every few houses. Another had a wind-up light that has a trigger to wind it. That one died and no amount of winding would revive it. The only decent light I saw out there was a Dewalt 36V gooseneck light that someone was carrying. It was quite bulky so that would not have been my first choice. I was carrying a modified Pelican VersaBrite flashlight (Nite-Ize PR flange 1-watt bulb in the head of the VB) clipped onto the pocket of my jacket with the head angled to put the hotspot on the ground in front of me and I had my Solarforce L2 in my pocket, just in case.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, almost forgot: my buddy lit candles and put them inside of the carved pumpkins that he put in his front window. He was concerned about the candles being warm inside of these pumpkins since his M-I-L was staying home to hand out candy so I suggested that he use the small 9V battery lights that I had made for him earlier this year. Those worked out great for that purpose, though they didn't have the warm glow nor flicker of candles. At least we could go trick-or-treating with the comfort of knowing that those pumpkins would not catch fire and burn down the house.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only observed one other group using a flashlight. A generic 2D plastic model. I used a E2D w/KX2C sparingly, like when walking down alley ways with the family.

My M6 would have been too impractical. I needed my pocket space for camera and kid stuff.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to go kick people out of my parents yard actually. Mom called and said adult men were showing up demanding candy.

On topic, I didn't see any flashlights but my own.

I did see two teenage girls dressed in skirts so low I could see their thongs. Not quite sure about the parenting. I'm not even going to mention the guys that were following. Some people just ask for problems.

Then in a store listening to adult men talk about teenagers dressed as playboy bunnies. I'd give anything to castrate that whole group.

It's obvious my Halloween brought more disappointment in people than pleasure.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Interesting - we had the same thing.

The usual four or five groups of cute kids in Halloween costumes pretty much cleaned us out of Haribos fairly early on in the evening, but later there were some much older youths making a bunch of noise out in the street. One came to the door dressed as an old crone. It was a good costume actually, but it seemed a bit odd giving the remaining Halloween candies to a 17 or 18 year old !

They came back up the street back later in the evening, and they'd clearly been on something a bit stronger than pumpkin juice, but as they weren't causing any damage or real trouble, I figured that going out and illuminating them would probably just make things worse.

We went out later on and did a quick patrol round the neighbourhood to check that everything was OK. Someone had obviously called the cops because there was a patrol car and a van at the end of the street, but as far as I could tell there was no actual harm done.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around here people go rolling. Putting toilet paper all through your yard and trees. I have to admit I used to be an avid roller. However, I'm surprised this doesn't happen elsewhere. I was very surprised when my fiance from Florida had never heard of rolling.

About 5 people on the street got it bad. This is why I firmly planted myself in the yard until about 1am :)

Gatsby

Enlightened
I made due with an E1L in my pocket as backup and primarily used a 6PL with a Dereelight 3SD drop in, mostly on medium. It was something of a compromise as the drop in is a Q2 5A and while it certainly is warm, it is noticeably dimmer than my Q5 (which the wife was using at home). Still it was plenty of light and much better than what most were carrying until I was completely over powered by a middle school girl carrying a 12v spot light. Talk about embarassing. Made me wish I still had my Mag85 just to have been in the ballpark.

My son had his lumapower LM301 but didn't really use it - it was raining and he was dressed as a revolutionary war soldier so he had his hands full with a pumpkin and rifle! Our neighborhood is pretty well lit as well so realistically I caried a light as much because I wanted to and for safety than actual need.

I won't comment on costumes but I agree that my daughter will not be going out at age 15 or so in some of the things I saw - and our neighborhood is rather tame from what I've heard.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around here people go rolling. Putting toilet paper all through your yard and trees. I have to admit I used to be an avid roller. However, I'm surprised this doesn't happen elsewhere. I was very surprised when my fiance from Florida had never heard of rolling.

About 5 people on the street got it bad. This is why I firmly planted myself in the yard until about 1am :)

We needed a few "Rollers" in the Big Sac. There were more than a few houses that had their lights on that did not answer the call of the Trick-or-Treaters. And many of them you could plainly see the home owners through their windows! If I didn't have my daughters it would have been tempting. But at my age I would have been charged with vandalism.

Then there was the mob scene of kids who raced across peoples yards and trampled everything in their path to crowd out the other kids at the doors. Their parents just looked on like this is normal behavior.

Some parents drove there kids door to door! And you wonder why there are so many fat kids these days.

But the coup-de-grace was nobody had flashlights! If the power went out I would have had to fight the zombie hoards to keep my lights! Hmmmm, maybe I should have taken my M3 w/strike bezel...