Help needed in naming a flashlight

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all again… I want ot name a flashlight …

What is the male young cat called in the US, UK etc? Any alternative words?

And is that name already taken by an existing flashlight?

Thanks…kostas

ypsifly

Enlightened
I call mine Charlie.

Up to a year they are called kittens, both male and female. IIRC, un-neutered males are called tom cats.

shhh

Newly Enlightened
call are male boomer "fixed"
call are female kali "fixed"
mother of boomer is mamma cat "fixed" i hope in time...........

And my dad calls his male Leo. "fixed"

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uhm ........ I don't understand . :rolleyes::confused:

Why do you want to name your light , like it was a pet or sumthin ? :popcorn:

Do you expect it to come to you when you call it ? :crackup:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no common word for a young male cat used in American English. In general cats are cats. As a matter of fact there aren't commonly used names for the distinction between female and male cats. Just "cat" on it's own often implies domesticated house cat species to many.

A juvenile cat, generally referring to larger species and not domestic cats, would be called a "cub". A juvenile domestic cat is a kitten.

English slang other than tomcat:
Other words for cats are kitty, puss, ***** cat. All of which are usually familial and generally imply the docile behavior of a domestic cat.

Common English names for larger, wild feline species are: Tiger, Lion, Puma, Lynx, Bobcat, Jaguar, Leopard, Cheetah.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well It will be tomcat....name is fixed...

the reason I want to name if after a cat is because the flashlight (1xAA, so it is small) will be moddded fixed for the 4th time...

so he has spent 4 out of his nine lives.....

elumen8

Enlightened
I know you've already decided...but I was thinking maybe "Cheshire Cat". Because in the book 'Alice in Wonderland', the cheshire cat appeared and disappeared in the darkness.

JB

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uhm ........ I don't understand . :rolleyes::confused:

Why do you want to name your light , like it was a pet or sumthin ? :popcorn:

Do you expect it to come to you when you call it ? :crackup:

It seems to be a "pet light", TMG :D

Maybe near in the future we're gonna see lots of models responding our voice... "whateveryouname" light on! light off!
Nothing to discuss about clickies or twisties. What a happy world!

Now, seriously, KosPap, why a name in english? why not in spanish if you want something exotic? like lindo gatito, micho...

Just a suggestion ;)

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got mine ( named SPOT ) ... trained ..........

To roll over ...... and over ....and over .... till it falls off the table !

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, seriously, KosPap, why a name in english? why not in spanish if you want something exotic? like lindo gatito, micho...
Just a suggestion ;)

these? I do not trust you in these! who knows what they really mean..LOL

The name I search has an exact word in greek..GATAKI but over the years it also means something else:naughty:

hmmm thinking If I name it GATA (grown female cat) it would be pretty pronouncable by foreigners too...

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
these? I do not trust you in these! who knows what they really mean..LOL

The name I search has an exact word in greek..GATAKI but over the years it also means something else:naughty:

hmmm thinking If I name it GATA (grown female cat) it would be pretty pronouncable by foreigners too...

Why you shouldn't trust in me? if you google search what I said you'll realize it's ok.

In spanish, cat is GATO (GATA if female) so is the same practically that in greek (spanish is a greek-latin origined language, you know, so there's a lot of words in common).

I like GATAKI, it sounds very good, though I guess what you're talking about the "other" meaning (I think that's universal...) but nobody's gonna realize this.

Go ahead and show us your GATAKI ! (the flashlight I mean) :D

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you've already decided...but I was thinking maybe "Cheshire Cat". Because in the book 'Alice in Wonderland', the cheshire cat appeared and disappeared in the darkness.
"I often saw a flashlight without a beam, but I never saw a beam without a flashlight."
Alice in Lumenland

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Kostas,

Your photos are very high quality (no need to say). When will you post that gataki or whatever you named it? Just curiosity :)