MC85

mdhammack

Newly Enlightened
I have a magcharger that was given to me by work for a safety award. I already run the Philips5761 and a fivemega reflector and it's a pretty impressive light. But I have been thinking (uh oh, I knew I smelled smoke) about doing something else with it. That bulb is way more impressive with an extra volt put to it, but wouldn't a Mag85 build be so much better! I was going to have it cut down and rethreaded for a 6AA pack and do the first idea (the 7.2 volt), but now I think I'm going to put in a ceramic slug, 1185, and a 9AA pack. Of course I already have a smart charger to plug into the stock cradle for either route. What do you guys think? Worth it? A Mag85 in a magcharger body with in light charging ability. MC85!

Illum

Flashaholic
depending on what cells you intend to power the 1185 with, you might gain alot in output compared to the stock magcharger, but you'll also lose alot in terms of runtime...not to mention the amount of heat thats flowing down the plastic lamp tower in a stock maglite.

IIRC the magcharger will last a little over an hour on a full charge. I don't remember if any of the mag85s I've built in the past exceeded 20 minutes before it started deepcycling the eneloop AAs I've put in it.

the Welch Allyn will draw upwards of 3.3 amps at 10.8V so you might want to consider other modes of powering it over NiMH if you want to have the same long runtime as the magcharger

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
Are you running the 5761 on the standard magcharger pack? If you are using a 6 cell pack then it is already brighter than a mag85 will be. It should still be plenty bright on the standard pack though, the 5761 is a 6v bulb as is the standard battery. Overdriven to 7.2v though really makes it come alive.:candle:

If you are looking to mod the magcharger to use a 1185, it would be cheaper to use a standard 3D.

Cheers,
Nova

mdhammack

Newly Enlightened
I have an upgraded pack in the light now, 3500 ma I believe. Not looking for super runtimes, just something different. I have a 3D with a bipin adapter from fivemega so I can do it in that light too, just thought what the heck do the magcharger. It has a tighter focus and a LOP reflector already, only thing I need is the ceramic bulb socket from FM. Nova, you're right the bulb is nice on the 6v setup, but I put the bipin adapter in my ROP and used the 5761 and WOW big defference in output. I guess the sanyo 2700's could hold the current fom a 1185, if so I may go with them for a little extra runtime, but not really what I care about, more of a wow light really. I always have a FM 12AA>3D quad bored light running a osram 62138 if I need more :grin2:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a pretty mod since you will use the stock charging cradle run on smart charger.

As you said, all you need is the ceramic slug, 9AA holder and the WA1185.

PS: Good batteries are also a good thing. :)

mdhammack

Newly Enlightened
It's a pretty mod since you will use the stock charging cradle run on smart charger.

As you said, all you need is the ceramic slug, 9AA holder and the WA1185.

PS: Good batteries are also a good thing. :)

I have plenty of eneloops in spare and already have holders so just bulb and holder left