Klarus
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: For those of you with leather holsters

  1. #1
    Flashaholic* Tim W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Leelanau Co. Michigan
    Posts
    599

    Christo Pull Hair For those of you with leather holsters

    Do you get a lot of scuff marks on your Ti lights from insertion/removal into your holster?

    I made my own holster and while it works quite well, I find my Ti-PD-s getting marked up. I keep dirt/dust blown out with an air hose every couple days, and use Neatsfoot oil on both the inside (liberally) and outside (sparingly) about once a month. None of the scuffs are bad, just bothersome. Twice in the year and a half that I've had the PD-s, I've buffed out the scuffs with OOOO steel wool. Is there anything better for this purpose?

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. #2
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: For those of you with leather holsters

    I have a kydex holster that scuffs even a lot, lot worse. But why is it a problem?? These lights can be buffed out again. Not that I'm likely to do so because my lights are pure users, but it can be done.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* jblackwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Miramar, FL
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: For those of you with leather holsters

    Quote Originally Posted by AlecGold View Post
    I have a kydex holster that scuffs even a lot, lot worse. But why is it a problem?? These lights can be buffed out again. Not that I'm likely to do so because my lights are pure users, but it can be done.
    It's a problem for those of use who EDC our bead-blasted lights and don't have a microbead blaster at our disposal.
    It's better to have and not need than need and not have.
    South Florida get-together for anyone who's interested!

  4. #4
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: For those of you with leather holsters

    Quote Originally Posted by jblackwood View Post
    It's a problem for those of use who EDC our bead-blasted lights and don't have a microbead blaster at our disposal.


    Didn't know there where micrblasters, but even then, if you EDC it the scuff marks are the clear sings of a full metal light and not a cheap nickled mass production light.
    But I agree that scuffs on blasted lights do look less attractive.

    But those partial blasted and polished lights do look sooooo good!

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* jblackwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Miramar, FL
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: For those of you with leather holsters

    Quote Originally Posted by AlecGold View Post
    Didn't know there where micrblasters, but even then, if you EDC it the scuff marks are the clear sings of a full metal light and not a cheap nickled mass production light.
    But I agree that scuffs on blasted lights do look less attractive.

    But those partial blasted and polished lights do look sooooo good!
    My brother is an engineer and he uses microbead blasters at work.
    It's better to have and not need than need and not have.
    South Florida get-together for anyone who's interested!

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* Tim W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Leelanau Co. Michigan
    Posts
    599

    Default Re: For those of you with leather holsters

    Quote Originally Posted by AlecGold View Post
    ... But why is it a problem?? ... because my lights are pure users...

    So is (are) mine. It is a problem because even though it is a tool, I take care of my tools.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* Tim W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Leelanau Co. Michigan
    Posts
    599

    Default Re: For those of you with leather holsters

    Quote Originally Posted by AlecGold View Post
    Didn't know there where microblasters
    Speed Blaster: http://www.zendextool.com/speedblaster/ . Don't have one, but it's on my list of gotta haves.

  8. #8
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: For those of you with leather holsters

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Speed Blaster: http://www.zendextool.com/speedblaster/ . Don't have one, but it's on my list of gotta haves.

    I even don't have air, but I would want one as well!! Imagine what it can do

    @tim, taking care of tools is a good thing, and I understand you want to keep a pristine look on them as much as possible. But then again, taking care of tools means using them in the intended and designed way, storing them clean, dry and lubed where needed.

    Perhaps, with a lot of elbow grease you could polish the outer parts and leave the inner side of the ribs etc. But come to think of it, if you rinse the flashlight with some Luke warm water and a bit of hand soap, don't the markings get off? it's hard to imagine that the leather marks the Ti

  9. #9
    Flashaholic* Tim W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Leelanau Co. Michigan
    Posts
    599

    Default Re: For those of you with leather holsters

    Quote Originally Posted by AlecGold View Post
    I even don't have air, but I would want one as well!! Imagine what it can do
    Yeah, I can think of a number of things it would be good for around the garage.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlecGold View Post
    Perhaps, with a lot of elbow grease you could polish the outer parts and leave the inner side of the ribs etc. But come to think of it, if you rinse the flashlight with some Luke warm water and a bit of hand soap, don't the markings get off? it's hard to imagine that the leather marks the Ti
    It really isn't too hard to buff with OOOO steel wool, comes out looking just about like new.

    They really are scuff marks, I'm assuming that even though I try to keep the holster clean, that some grit remains in the rough surface of the leather interior.

  10. #10
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: For those of you with leather holsters

    Hmmm, silly but I hadn't though about sand. That must be a good thing of the kydex as it looses dirt easily.

  11. #11
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    615

    Default Re: For those of you with leather holsters

    As far as compressed air goes, I got a small compressor at Sears a few years ago. Looks like the big ones, just shrunken down. For a hundred bucks its worth having. I got it to blow out custom knives after cleaning. But I've found all kinds of uses for it.. basketballs, etc., bike and car tires. Its nice to be able to keep the car tires inflated properly without searching for a gas station with a working compressor.
    ::I don't always carry a flashlight, but when I do, I prefer Tri-V. Stay illuminated my friends::

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •