• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

For those of you with leather holsters

Tim W

Enlightened
Do you get a lot of scuff marks on your Ti lights from insertion/removal into your holster?

I made my own holster and while it works quite well, I find my Ti-PD-s getting marked up. I keep dirt/dust blown out with an air hose every couple days, and use Neatsfoot oil on both the inside (liberally) and outside (sparingly) about once a month. None of the scuffs are bad, just bothersome. Twice in the year and a half that I've had the PD-s, I've buffed out the scuffs with OOOO steel wool. Is there anything better for this purpose?

Thanks,
Tim

AlecGold

Enlightened
I have a kydex holster that scuffs even a lot, lot worse. But why is it a problem?? These lights can be buffed out again. Not that I'm likely to do so because my lights are pure users, but it can be done.

jblackwood

Enlightened
I have a kydex holster that scuffs even a lot, lot worse. But why is it a problem?? These lights can be buffed out again. Not that I'm likely to do so because my lights are pure users, but it can be done.

It's a problem for those of use who EDC our bead-blasted lights and don't have a microbead blaster at our disposal.

AlecGold

Enlightened
It's a problem for those of use who EDC our bead-blasted lights and don't have a microbead blaster at our disposal.

Didn't know there where micrblasters, but even then, if you EDC it the scuff marks are the clear sings of a full metal light and not a cheap nickled mass production light.
But I agree that scuffs on blasted lights do look less attractive.

But those partial blasted and polished lights do look sooooo good!

jblackwood

Enlightened
Didn't know there where micrblasters, but even then, if you EDC it the scuff marks are the clear sings of a full metal light and not a cheap nickled mass production light.
But I agree that scuffs on blasted lights do look less attractive.

But those partial blasted and polished lights do look sooooo good!

My brother is an engineer and he uses microbead blasters at work.

AlecGold

Enlightened
Speed Blaster: http://www.zendextool.com/speedblaster/ . Don't have one, but it's on my list of gotta haves.

I even don't have air, but I would want one as well!! Imagine what it can do :D

@tim, taking care of tools is a good thing, and I understand you want to keep a pristine look on them as much as possible. But then again, taking care of tools means using them in the intended and designed way, storing them clean, dry and lubed where needed.

Perhaps, with a lot of elbow grease you could polish the outer parts and leave the inner side of the ribs etc. But come to think of it, if you rinse the flashlight with some Luke warm water and a bit of hand soap, don't the markings get off? it's hard to imagine that the leather marks the Ti

Tim W

Enlightened
I even don't have air, but I would want one as well!! Imagine what it can do :D

Yeah, I can think of a number of things it would be good for around the garage.

Perhaps, with a lot of elbow grease you could polish the outer parts and leave the inner side of the ribs etc. But come to think of it, if you rinse the flashlight with some Luke warm water and a bit of hand soap, don't the markings get off? it's hard to imagine that the leather marks the Ti

It really isn't too hard to buff with OOOO steel wool, comes out looking just about like new.

They really are scuff marks, I'm assuming that even though I try to keep the holster clean, that some grit remains in the rough surface of the leather interior.

AlecGold

Enlightened
Hmmm, silly but I hadn't though about sand. That must be a good thing of the kydex as it looses dirt easily.

fasteddie

Enlightened
As far as compressed air goes, I got a small compressor at Sears a few years ago. Looks like the big ones, just shrunken down. For a hundred bucks its worth having. I got it to blow out custom knives after cleaning. But I've found all kinds of uses for it.. basketballs, etc., bike and car tires. Its nice to be able to keep the car tires inflated properly without searching for a gas station with a working compressor.