Any way to expand your web page to fill the width of the screen?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to run my monitor at it's native resolution and increased the font size to partially compensate for my poor eyesight. The problem is some web pages (like CPF) will "auto expand" to fill the width of the screen for different set resolutions, but other's remain very narrow and the text very small (in both Firefox and IE). A popular camera site, www.dpreview is an example of this. Any method to force the web page to fill the screen. I don't see any such settings in Firefox.

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened
It's a choice made by whoever designed the web page whether it has a fixed width or variable width layout. dpreview.com uses a fixed width design. vBulletin, the software used to create CPF, uses a variable width design.

Coaster

Newly Enlightened
Hold down the Ctrl key and then use the scroll wheel on your mouse to adjust things.

Crtl = and Ctrl - do the same thing as well.

Newly Enlightened
If you have the latest Firefox (3.5), there is a zoom option for Zoom Text Only (View -> Zoom -> Zoom Text Only). Make sure that it is UNchecked. Then you can use Ctrl+ and Ctrl- to magnify the entire webpage as opposed to just the font size.

If Zoom Text Only is checked, only the font size increases.

Sites that have fixed widths were designed by people with no consideration for making things accessible.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! And I see it remembers the setting for when you revisit the page. Boy there is no reason to use anything but Firefox!