• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Caribbean and Atlantic - Your Thoughts

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been having the Peak bugs lately and I just made an impulse purchase from RMSK for a Brass Caribbean and Brass Atlantic. Both are Luxeon based LEDs. For those who own these lights, what are your thoughts. Are they still good by today's standards? I bought them for half price at $45 a piece.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had both the Peak Caribbean Luxeon (SS) and P4 (HAIII) versions. The P4 version emits noticeably more light overall. The main difference is the amount of light in the spill.

Sorry, I can't quantify the difference.

Each gets warm in the hand after a couple of minutes or so of use.

The P4 version and HAIII pocket body form quite a small, bright flashlight.

I didn't try the brass version, but the stainless steel keychain style light proved to be heavier than I wanted to carry. The threads, however, worked buttery smooth.

caribbean-ss1.jpg

caribbean-wallet.jpg

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I've been having the Peak bugs lately and I just made an impulse purchase from RMSK for a Brass Caribbean and Brass Atlantic. Both are Luxeon based LEDs. For those who own these lights, what are your thoughts. Are they still good by today's standards? I bought them for half price at $45 a piece.

I own only PEAKS (with the exception of some dirt cheap clearance rock rivers)...and I think that those 2 are outstanding deal- if nothing else- you can off load them after your rental period is over- although I doubt that you will. You should have asked Bob at RMSK if he had any single LED brass Killis in his inventory- he has a LOT of older stock.

tnuckels

Enlightened
Nice snag Excel730.

You should have asked Bob at RMSK if he had any single LED brass Killis in his inventory- he has a LOT of older stock.
"a LOT of older stock" sounds interesting. I've been wanting to try some mods on my Caribbean, but reluctant to keep changing the same light over and over. Hmm, buy a light for $45, pop-in a $5 LED, making it worth $100. Sure beats playing the stock market.

Excel730, HERE is a set of instructions for modding the Caribbean. As Peak lights appear to be similarly constructed this might work for your Atlantic as well. BTW, I used Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive.

Good Luck!

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew this is a great place to get some convincing.

Honestly, I never really thought I would like brass flashlights, but maybe it's because I'm getting tired of the similar flashlight offering in the current market, I decided to give it a shot and posted a WTB on CPFM. After getting a pair of brass matterhorns for a good deal, I fell in love with brass and I've been wanting more and more. :twothumbs

Parnass, your SS Caribbean looks gorgeous! :faint: I've never owned SS lights before, but recently I picked up a level 2, warm medium SS Eiger from Curt/Robyn and I love it (albeit it's a little heavy). I combined it with a single AAA aluminum body with momentary switch and now it's my mini pocket penlight. :D

Ragecage, you and MWClint's Peak collection is amazing. :devil:

Tnuckels, thanks for the link. I may consider modding it. I've never modded before, but considering the price, I could give it a shot. :poof:

I know many people are hesitant with Peak lights, since by comparison they don't offer nearly as much bells and whistles as other lights in the marketplace, but for a simple single level light, they seem pretty much bombproof and elegant. (especially the brass ones :D)

tnuckels

Enlightened
Nearly all my Peaks (mostly Matterhorns) are brass. The camera does seem to love a polished brass light, but I prefer to let mine age like a fine antique. The combination of patina and worn/polished areas is very attractive … and a whole lot less work.:whistle:

If you can find them, the knurled SS lights are very beautiful too. I don't think there are very many of these as the production process is more difficult. The smooth SS just remind me too much of a nitro or pill vial for your keychain.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nearly all my Peaks (mostly Matterhorns) are brass. The camera does seem to love a polished brass light, but I prefer to let mine age like a fine antique. The combination of patina and worn/polished areas is very attractive … and a whole lot less work.:whistle:

If you can find them, the knurled SS lights are very beautiful too. I don't think there are very many of these as the production process is more difficult. The smooth SS just remind me too much of a nitro or pill vial for your keychain.

Brass is nice in that if you want to give it character, just let the patina develop. If you want it to be elegant looking, just polish it up. Since I like the looks of both, I will have to get some more brass Peaks ... some I'll polish, some I won't. :D

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Brass is unique....not "tactical' looking...and +1 for the patina.......gives em charachter...they have a lot of "heft" and silky smooth threads. The knurled SS AAA body is my fav for keychain carry because of the durability....and I like the HA too...I have a REAL old non anodized single red led matterhorn- it looks sweet to and is super lightweight.
Once you are bitten by the brass bug.....watch out......:sick::twothumbs

Last edited:

No really

Newly Enlightened
I've been having the Peak bugs lately and I just made an impulse purchase...for a Brass Caribbean and Brass Atlantic. Both are Luxeon based LEDs...Are they still good by today's standards?

I also own quite a few Peak LED products, most in brass, some in stainless, 2, I think rendered in HA3.

Outside of the "lumens rules over all" view, both of your recent purchases were money well spent, very well spent IMHO. One of my brass Caribbeans resides in my "dog-walking" coat and gets used nearly every day, it has a Luxeon emitter, and while no paint will be bubbled, or walls scorched, it is more than adequate for what I ask of it.

I am right fond of of the character, heft in the hand, the overall feel of all of the Peak brass offerings I have encountered. I think you will be pleased.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said.

There's something about a beautiful Brass, SS Peak or even HAIII Peak. Not only are they extremely durable, but they're also works of art, IMO. They're not gee-whiz gizmos with endless levels and options--just well-engineered, useful tools.

I realized just a couple of weeks ago that I normally use my Nitecore D10 EDC light set at about a 20 lumens level. I thought about that, and realized that my Brass SSC P4 Pacific high-power produces about the same lumens, with much better runtime. I've been carrying the Pacific since, and admiring the quality of the beam and build.

Anyway, back on topic. :oops: I've always loved the Caribbean--with the pocket body it's a very small, bright EDC.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted this photo from another thread, but thought I may just share it here as well. I got both the Atlantic and Caribbean and boy these are nice. Both lights got some heft to them, and I love it. :devil: Personally, I like the Caribbean more and I've been carrying it in my bag.

Here's a photo of my new purchases.

Atlantic_and_Carribean.jpg