If only he had a flashlight & a whistle.

Dreamer

Newly Enlightened
Something to share.

Man missing in jungle off East-West highway found

IPOH: A man reported missing Thursday in the jungle after answering the call of nature by the roadside of the East-West Highway near Gerik emerged from the jungle at 12.30am Friday morning, about 24 hours after his disapperance.
N. Thalagaratnam, 48, got lost after falling down a ravine, Gerik police chief Supt Mahad Nor Abdullah said Friday.
He said Thalagaratnam from Lahat, Ipoh, walked out of the jungle and hailed a passing lorry.
"He only had some bleeding on his legs ... he sought the help of a man to make a police report," Mahad said.
When contacted at his home here, Thalagaratnam said he slipped and fell into a 6m ravine at about 10.30pm and yelled at his friend who was in a car.
"I yelled for help and tried to climb out ... it was raining then and it was dark. I walked to find a way out and got out when I heard the sound of vehicles," he said.
Thalagaratnam said he hid several times behind large trees when he heard the sound of wild animals.
In the incident, Thalagaratnam and his friend were travelling from here to Jeli, Kelantan and stopped at KM82 of the highway for him to answer the call of nature.
His friend, M. Manibalan 47, who waited in the car suspected something amiss when Thalagaratnam did not come back after an hour and made a police report at 7.30am on Thursday.
Police, with the help of the Fire and Rescue Services Department and Rela, launched a search

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this have ANYTHING to do with LED Flashlights?

There's too many off-topic blog type postings going on, lately. CPF isn't a free-for-all.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
how far into a jungle does one have to go at "call for nature"?
Out of jelling range?
:thinking:
How about 2 meters behind the nex bush?

must been drunk or something, both of them.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I take no issue with the topic or title. It seems just as legit as any other discussion in the Cafe.

Certainly, this guy's life could have been made easier with a couple of simple items. Just goes to reinforce that you can't foresee when or where you're going to run into trouble. I know that I'd personally hate being lost in the Malaysian jungle with no tools or weapons, especially at night. Last time I checked, tigers were at the top of the food chain there, but I'm not sure how common they are.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Dreamer, you have neglected your thread. Any comments? Any ideas why the other person was not able to find him, after being yelled at by the "lost person"? Yes, if he had had a whistle, and/or a flashlight, that might have made a difference, though I am not sure his "friend" would have noticed that. What are your thoughts?

Bill

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been on long bus rides on highways in malaysia, and i can tell you, its DARK out there.

It speaks volumes that the friend could go looking for him either...even just going slightly into the jungle would have meant he would be able to hear his friend, and THEN call for help..

whistle and light would indeed have been useful...

Crenshaw

Dreamer

Newly Enlightened
Dreamer, you have neglected your thread. Any comments? Any ideas why the other person was not able to find him, after being yelled at by the "lost person"? Yes, if he had had a whistle, and/or a flashlight, that might have made a difference, though I am not sure his "friend" would have noticed that. What are your thoughts?

Bill

Sorry, been pretty busy lately. :). As it was raining, it might be difficult for his friend to hear his call for help. IMO, his friend should hv looked for him after 10/15min when he's not back to the car. Can't be taking so long to answer the call of nature, right?. Yep, a whistle and a flashlight would hv made a lot of differences. That's why I always tell my friends about the importance of carrying a whistle and a flashlight at all times. :)

Burgess

Flashaholic
:bumpit:

Still good advice !

Read the story -- the poor fellow fell down a 6 meter (nearly 20 feet) Ravine.

During the Rain.

Certainly a serious situation !

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Missed this thread the first time around. Yeah, a flashlight and whistle would have helped. Along with having a good friend. The guy's buddy waited an hour, and then simply decided to file a report?? Call of nature doesn't take remotely that long to answer. Perhaps try to look for your friend if he hasn't returned in far less time than an hour.

DM51

Flashaholic
BS version:

post #1 said:
A man reported missing Thursday in the jungle after answering the call of nature by the roadside of the East-West Highway near Gerik emerged from the jungle at 12.30am Friday morning, about 24 hours after his disapperance.
N. Thalagaratnam, 48, got lost after falling down a ravine, Gerik police chief Supt Mahad Nor Abdullah said Friday.
He said Thalagaratnam from Lahat, Ipoh, walked out of the jungle and hailed a passing lorry.
"He only had some bleeding on his legs ... he sought the help of a man to make a police report," Mahad said.
When contacted at his home here, Thalagaratnam said he slipped and fell into a 6m ravine at about 10.30pm and yelled at his friend who was in a car.
"I yelled for help and tried to climb out ... it was raining then and it was dark. I walked to find a way out and got out when I heard the sound of vehicles," he said.
Thalagaratnam said he hid several times behind large trees when he heard the sound of wild animals.
In the incident, Thalagaratnam and his friend were travelling from here to Jeli, Kelantan and stopped at KM82 of the highway for him to answer the call of nature.
His friend, M. Manibalan 47, who waited in the car suspected something amiss when Thalagaratnam did not come back after an hour and made a police report at 7.30am on Thursday.
Police, with the help of the Fire and Rescue Services Department and Rela, launched a search

True version:

2 guys driving home at night after a party, both stinko drunk.

Passenger feels unwell, asks the driver to stop the car, gets out and wanders into the jungle to be sick. Trips over a log, falls flat on his face, vomits and passes out.

Meanwhile the driver has fallen asleep in the car. He wakes up a few hours later, terrible hangover, drives home. At some point he realises he left his friend behind. Waits until he's reasonably sober, returns to scene. No sign of passenger. Drives to police station to report him missing.

Meanwhile the passenger wakes up, no idea where he is or how he got there, blunders around in the jungle for a while, finally staggers out on to a road and flags down a lorry.

The ravine/wild animals story is a BS invention to save face.​

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why didn't the man just spend a penny against the car tyres.

On long trips out in the wilds like this one , we always used to pee on the vehicle tyres ... The excuse was that we were cooling them down ... It was always on the nearside tyres too ... I was twelve years old before I realised that cooling the tyres was not the real reason for the stops.

There again , there were no tigers along British Dual-carriageways and Motorways.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Why didn't the man just spend a penny against the car tyres.

On long trips out in the wilds like this one , we always used to pee on the vehicle tyres ... The excuse was that we were cooling them down ... It was always on the nearside tyres too ... I was twelve years old before I realised that cooling the tyres was not the real reason for the stops.

There again , there were no tigers along British Dual-carriageways and Motorways.

Maybe he got caught short. He wouldn't want to have to pull his trousers up quick if the police showed up so go behind some trees where the cop is less likely to find you, and if he doesn't see someone squating at the side of the road he probably won't pull over to see what's going on anyway.

Last edited:

ganymede

Enlightened
Since you know the truth, does this makes you the third unreported person traveling in the car? :sssh:

BS version:

True version:

2 guys driving home at night after a party, both stinko drunk.

Passenger feels unwell, asks the driver to stop the car, gets out and wanders into the jungle to be sick. Trips over a log, falls flat on his face, vomits and passes out.

Meanwhile the driver has fallen asleep in the car. He wakes up a few hours later, terrible hangover, drives home. At some point he realises he left his friend behind. Waits until he's reasonably sober, returns to scene. No sign of passenger. Drives to police station to report him missing.

Meanwhile the passenger wakes up, no idea where he is or how he got there, blunders around in the jungle for a while, finally staggers out on to a road and flags down a lorry.

The ravine/wild animals story is a BS invention to save face.​