Cree’s LRP-38 going to be used in 650 walmarts

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
http://www.environmentalleader.com/2009/11/05/wal-mart-adding-leds-to-650-stores/

Cree Inc. has been selected to handle the installation, which involves replacing ceramic metal halide in the produce and electronics department, according to a press release.

Wal-Mart is going with Cree's LRP-38, a PAR38 style LED lamp, which is designed to last 50,000 hours and consume 82 percent less energy than the 70-watt ceramic metal halide bulbs it replaces.

The lighting retrofit comes as part of Wal-Mart's Project Impact, which will see through a remodeling and repositioning of many locations. Wal-Mart already has remodeled about 30 percent of U.S. stores and plans to have remodeled or built out 70 percent of its stores to the new standard by 2012.

Wal-Mart is looking to a host of options as it seeks to reduce energy use.

Looks like single-quantity price is around $175.
A product page from Googling:
http://www.winderlumenled.com/reces...page=flypage.tpl&product_id=75&category_id=19

brickbat

Enlightened
...consume 82 percent less energy than the 70-watt ceramic metal halide bulbs it replaces....

Just to keep things in perspective, a 70W PAR38 ceramic metal halide lamp averages >3000 lumens over its 12,000 hour life. The CREE LED lamp, at its rated 12W and 42l/W would provide about 500 lumens. To be sure, a 12W LED lamp isn't replacing a 70W CMH lamp.

The efficiency of the LED 42 l/W, and the CMH at about 38 l/W, are similar. I think the big energy savings come from the fact the LED lamps can be dimmed.

Last edited:

R@ndom

Enlightened
Re: Cree's LRP-38 going to be used in 650 walmarts

Something I noticed in supermarkets is that the fresh produce is lit with either neutral fluro or halogen while the rest of the place is regular fluro. Says a lot about the importance of CRI.

made in china

Newly Enlightened
Just to keep things in perspective, a 70W PAR38 ceramic metal halide lamp averages >3000 lumens over its 12,000 hour life. The CREE LED lamp, at its rated 12W and 42l/W would provide about 500 lumens. To be sure, a 12W LED lamp isn't replacing a 70W CMH lamp.

The efficiency of the LED 42 l/W, and the CMH at about 38 l/W, are similar. I think the big energy savings come from the fact the LED lamps can be dimmed.

Most CMH PAR lamps I have seen are between 60-80l/watt.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of dimming, The newer WalMart near me has skylights and fluoresent fixtures that dim as the sun shines brighter. They can dim down to the point of nearly turning off. If a cloud moves over the Fluoros respond by gradually brightening up. Neat stuff.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
why does it state the minimum efficacy at 42lum/w? thats just weird, shouldn't they state the maximum too? or are they hiding that because its lower than expected?

brickbat

Enlightened
Sylvania MCP70PAR38 is 4300 initial lumens. I derated it to 3000 lumens, to account for its lumen maintenance over 12,000 hours. Then I added 10 watts to its 70W rating to account for its ballast losses. 3000 l/80 W = 38 l/W. That might be a bit pessimistic - ballast losses are typically less than 10W. And now in looking over the LED lamp spec sheet, I see its rated lumens are initial too, so it would degrade over its life as well. So, maybe the CMH lamps are in fact a tad more efficient.

But, I still stand by my conclusion - these LED lamps are about the same efficiency as CMH - the "82% less energy" claim has to do with things other than simple l/W efficiency.

New Walmart stores around here use daylighting, where their T8 fluorescent lamps dim back to about 5-10% when sun comes in through their skylights - Can't do that with CMH lamps...

iineijbaldj

Newly Enlightened
Just my 0.02 worth..

WIth lower heat the lamps can be closer to product. Every 1/2 of distance means 4x more
light. So 10' with the previous lamps and 2.5' feet with LED lights means you can multiply
the effictive light on product by 16 (4 x 4) I think that's right.

Also regarding color:
When you're next in a store with emission lamps look at the deep blue colors that
some packages or even clothing has.. see how some of the blues
appear very vibrant. This is because of the blue emission line(s) in halide lamps.

I've never read this but my thoughts are that lack of emission lines around a predominant
emission line may increase the apparent intensity of objects illuminated by the line which is
'alone' with no others nearby.

With that in mind I've thought how marketers should consider labeling their product
with inks that are the same color as emission lines in lamps that illuminate their product.
With the change to LEDs that will mean new packaging and colors.
Something to consider and 'watch for' if it interests you.

PS. can someone post a link to emission lines of the latest LED lamps like this one
or the 'First Lamp' that Dean Kamen is pushing via his 'kids and robots' foundations?
The First (Led Lamp by Cree) is featured in a few Youtube videos here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Pl9m2RzBs

See the related YTube videos for more about First

Andre
Andre

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always thought walmart's lighting section was better stocked than a lot of other places. Who knows, maybe this will help the LED bulb industry pick up their sales. I just hope the lights come with signs that say "Look! LED lights that aren't crappy!"