I need your expert advice

Bubu

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I recently go into led flashlights and I am looking for my first good flashlight. A general around the house/camping/fishing flashlight.

I want a flashlight that ticks the following boxes:

• To be very bright (to have the wow factor 250lms+).
  • To be about the size of around 2 D cells (flexible on this)
  • Something that has good throw.
  • Use disposable batteries (they are easier to come by when your out and about)
  • Water resistant (waterproof would be better)
  • Have different brightness settings (2 or 3 is sufficient).
  • Adjustable beam would be a big bonus.
  • Being light would also be a bonus but seeing battery size/quantity is related to output and battery life, I cant really see this happening
Price is not really an issue if I can find one that I will be really happy with, but I am not going to spend crazy amount on it.

Now I am not lazy and have done some research and have heard many good things about the Fenix TK40. The only reason I have not gone out and bought one is because I am still unsure about how much light spill the flashlight has.

Is there any other flshlights that have the specs I am after or maybe something that is similar to the TK40?

Also a newbie question what are 'anyloops'?

Thanks

Burgess

Flashaholic
Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

May i suggest a 4Sevens (brand) flashlight.

website is 4Sevens.com

Check out his Quark line of flashlights.

I suggest a 2xAA model.

The Quark Turbo (brand-new model) is a fine choice. :thumbsup:

Sanyo Eneloops are a brand of rechargeable NiMH battery.

They are what i use. They're Great ! :twothumbs

In my humble opinion, no need to go for a LARGE flashlight, like the Fenix TK40.

Something like i've suggested, worn on yer' belt, will always be handy and available.

And, trust me, it certainly has quite a WOW factor. :whistle:

Hope this helps.

_

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Eneloops are a brand of batteries. They have a low self discharge which means you can leave them for quite a while compared to normal NiMh batteries and they will still have a good charge.

Most lights don't have adjustable beam. You either end up with artifacts in the beam (adjustable reflector lights) or no spill (lens adjustable lights).

I also don't think that you will need a huge light for the majority of you uses. How much throw is good throw? 50m, 200m?

What price range are you looking at? Since you mentioned the Tk40, I'm guessing up to that price range?

The Quark Turbo could be a good light for you as Burgess suggested. The Fenix TK20 could also work, along with the LD20, Quark AA^2, and a few other lights.

:welcome:

Dole

Newly Enlightened
If you want the wow factor in brightness, you should get an MC-E, SST-50 or similar type LED flashlight. My suggestions:

O-Light M21
Dereelight DBS MC-E 3SM

Both are relatively compact in size, good for camping and fishing, not so much for every day carry. But the DBS doesn't take disposable batteries.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
While making your decision, take a look at the new Maglite 2D Rebel. Just a suggestion to consider.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
a good 2*AA light like the one mentioned, or from the maker who started it (Fenix, now with model LD20 oder TK20) is more than enough WOW, granted!
;)

PS: forget movable beams, thing of the past and even then not good.
That was to fight the most obvious negative effects of crappy lights and never was on par with good fixed focus lights.

Bubu

Newly Enlightened
You all make some good suggestions.

I find it kinda funny you guys say the TK 40 is big. I guess I was used to Eveready Dolphin and 4D cell maglite. I probably dont need such a big flashlight but I wanted something that can be very bright.

The way I see it I buy a torch because I want it to create light, so the more/better it does this the better the flashlight. Sure quality and other things are important but that is basics of it.

Maybe that will change if I become a "flashaholic", but for now I want something that is really bright. For someone that is new to LED flashlights I can probably be easily impressed by even 100 lumens. But if you guys are impressed by any particular flashlight then its almostguaranteedI wll be too.

I am also surprised that focusable beams are not really common on these LED flashlights and I suppose not really in demand.

carrot

Flashaholic
If you don't think the TK40 is too big by all means go get one. I for one prefer to have lights that fit in my pocket. However I think you will be very impressed with the TK40 and you will love it.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I personally prefer smaller lights for normal tasks and most people here seem to do the same. But if you like a larger light, then go for it.

You have a Maglite so you know what happens when you defocus the light (aka flood mode), rings and artifacts start to appear and make the beam ugly. That's part of the reason why focusing is not used.

Do you still have the maglite? Check this thread out if you want to modify or add a drop-in to it.

Bubu

Newly Enlightened
Well I went ahead and bought the TK40 without physically seeing or holding the light. Fenix lights are not readily available in Australia so I had to order on the web.

I might look into modding the maglight. I have never modded a flashlight but do have very basic electronics knowledge.