Worlds first 12 D cell M*glite

The Dane

Enlightened
Welcome to my first real/major mod job.

I proudly present the Big M*g compared to a 3 D M*g.

DSCN2583.jpg

So a "623" 12V 100W Osram overdriven to 175W with 14 AA Elite 1700mA cells in a modded 2D m*g seemed hot when I first made it, but action time sucks big time. Still a novel item for the Whoa effect.

DSCN2380.jpg

The current trend here at CPF seems to be minimising, so I thought to my self: "F**k that, I'll go Michael Moore style and supersize". Why not make a "623" that'll go for an hour flat, and thereby make it "usefull"? If you can call a 87cm ~ 34 inch light weighing in at 2,4 kg ~ 5.2 lbs usefull!
I'm proud to present the world preview of my 12 D cell M*g with a head for a PAR 36 reflector. No money, lots of time so a 3" FM head is nice but unobtainable for me.

Measured twice and cut once so the "donor" can be put together again as a 5 D M*g

DSCN2574.jpg

DSCN2581.jpg

I made 2 versions of the head, the first build like a M1 Abrams tank weighing in at 516 grams ~ 1.13 lbs and not to my buddies liking. Designed to mount directly onto the M*g body and entirely too thick all over, no go! So swiftly on to the lathe again and several hours later the second version emerged. Weighing in at 187 grams ~ .4 lbs and mounting to the M*g mead.

As you can see in the pictures I have also had to learn to anodize and is still learning splash anodizing. Lots on info on the first subject on the WWW, but very scarce info on the second.

DSCN2577.jpg

DSCN2578.jpg

DSCN2579.jpg

DSCN2570.jpg

DSCN2572.jpg

DSCN2573.jpg

Light source is an Osram 41850SP 12V 100W 8degrees PAR 36 alu reflector.

DSCN2590.jpg

Now all I need to do is make a FET switch to assist the original and then feed the *******.

Damn those NiMh D cells are expensive when they land in that little Grease stain on the globe called Denmark. Locally @ $45 for two GE 10000mA cells. So I thought of the US of A and found very decent cell prices but either no sale outside US or @ $130-150 in shipping. Rats! Let me give an example:
At www.batteryspace.com I can get 16 D cells 10000mA for $87.58 or $5.47 a piece, but shipping amounts to $140. Then the Danish customs gets 25% WAT and a $30 charge for ripping me off. Now the same cells are $19.6 a piece.

So for now i'll settle for the same output as a black hole :mecry:

CampingLED

Enlightened
Looks realy cool :twothumbs. In the world of CPF we need to think twice before using the words: "Worlds first", because chances are very good that it has been done before. Tried to look for a thread that I remember about Mags for sale with long extension tubes. Did not find the one I was looking for, but here is another example of a 12D Mod.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like it:candle:

id be really pissed if i lost a tiny $500 light, i really dont understand why anyone would buy a light for $500 when we can have the exact same performance (and reliability) for $70.(used)

now how am i gonna lose a 12D mag ? :D

not sure how many lumens your 12D produces? but im guessing a lot and for an hour is actually practical compared to similar output in a 2D for 9 minutes:whistle:

cant you buy or design a driver that will allow the use of standard alkaline batteries? yes there will be issues to overcome but with the issues divided by 12 they would be almost nothing?

The Dane

Enlightened
cant you buy or design a driver that will allow the use of standard alkaline batteries? yes there will be issues to overcome but with the issues divided by 12 they would be almost nothing?

100W/12V=8 1/3A

No way Alkis are able to deliver that :shrug:

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is sweet! And, it doubles as a walking stick. I can't wait to see outdoor beamshots of that monster

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be easier and cheaper to have the batteries purchased here in the states and forwarded to you?
Shipping & Handling: $11.07 from BatterySpace.com here

Or what about ordering from Canada like this?
eBay

Will LSD cells work? These are really good priced from bearwobble.com

Great looking mod! Fire it up!!

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the use of an AR111 bulb.

(FWIW, AR111 stands for "Aluminium Reflector, 111mm" and are that smidgin smaller than the 114.3mm glass PAR36.)

I have a 4°, 50W AR111 LA installed in my forthcoming "Ultimate Dolphin" project, and my reason for this post was to inject the "AR111" term into this thread to make the search terma available.

Al Combs

Enlightened
Very nice idea using a PAR36 bulb.:cool: Wouldn't be surprised to see more of those M1 Abrams heads popping up. I tried looking up your 41850SP to see the specs on it. But I could only find candle power ratings. What is the output in lumens? Which one throws farther, the PAR36 or the Mag623? Or haven't you got the batteries for it yet?

The Dane

Enlightened
Very nice idea using a PAR36 bulb.:cool: Wouldn't be surprised to see more of those M1 Abrams heads popping up. I tried looking up your 41850SP to see the specs on it. But I could only find candle power ratings. What is the output in lumens? Which one throws farther, the PAR36 or the Mag623? Or haven't you got the batteries for it yet?

No mate, no bats yet but i'm working on it.

I need to hook up with someone who can stick 12 D cells in a flatrate pack and ship it to DK.

The PAR36 has a 8 degree beam whereas the 623 in a standard 2" M*g head is all flod.

As to output i'll think that a 623 bulb at 100% will emit @ 2800lumen regardless of its sourrondings?

RaVeN38571

Newly Enlightened
Nothing like playing a good game of baseball and using your "bat" to light the way home.

The Dane

Enlightened
A GE 6V 30W pinspot, but it gives a crappy hotspot. I bought that for sizing because the 41850 was an order item.