Pelican M6 vs. Surefire G2

nightgaunt

Newly Enlightened
I know there have been a lot of topics on these 2 lights lately, and I'm thinking of getting one (only 1 for now!). Which one would you buy as a first intro into lithium lights? I like the heft and look of the Pelican, but it is $10-15 more than the G2. And is output comparable?

THANKS!

BrianC

Newly Enlightened
I have both and prefer my Pelican M6. At $15 more though, it's a tough choice. My M6 has a slightly smaller spot, but is brighter because of it.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
with the PM6 you get one of the longest throwing 2x123 lights available /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pahl

Enlightened
I don't have a M6, but I do have a Surefire G2 so I will tell you what I like about the G2.

You have some options with the G2.

It will run on two CR123 batteries or you can make it into a rechargeable light with the Surefire Rechargeable Conversion Kit (KR1-BK)

You also have the option of running differant lamps in the G2.

P60 lamp will give you 65 lumens
P61 lamp will give you 120 lumens

I have not tried this but have read on the forums that with a battery tube adapter you can run three CR123 batteries in the G2 and use the P91 lamp for 200 lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have used my G2-BK daily for a couple weeks and it seems to be a very well built light and you can buy them new for around $30

I would get the Surefire G2 and take the $15 you saved and spend it on a extra P60 lamp for the G2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
I've had both G2 and Pelican M6; they both are bright, reliable lights. But, I think the SureFire is just in a higher class of quality and design. I gave the PM6 to a friend within a couple weeks of getting it because I found the general craftsmanship (fit and finish) and beam quality to be highly inferior to SureFire. Noticable artifacts and rings in the beam. The focusing ability was unnecessary for me; I've never wished for that feature in a SureFire.

For daily use, I also really like Nitrolon (the high-tech plastic that the G2 is made of), as it is "warmer" to the touch on a subzero winter day, lighter weight, won't scratch, and also won't scratch what it touches. Easier to hold by the teeth if needed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The G2 is more compactly sized as well.

However, the really comparable SF is the 6P; which costs $20 or more above the PM6. The 6P is gorgeous -- classic aestetic design and beautifully crafted compared to the PM6 -- but to be honest, for utility I think the G2 beats the 6P too. I've sold my 6P's, because while they're nice to look at and hold, I wasn't using them at all.

The only downside of the G2 is a lack of lockout tailcap. This hasn't been a problem for me, and you can unscrew the momentary G2 tailcap to achieve the same effect, or replace it with a G2Z tailcap, which would offset the cost savings of the G2.

And please don't think I'm raving because I'm a SureFire bigot; I just appreciate their efforts on the G2 a lot and I think it does represent exceptional value and performance. Again, many of its benefits are because of the Nitrolon construction, in my opinion.

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary.

pahl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nightgaunt said:
Thanks for all the replies...looks like a G2 is more versatile and cheaper. I prefer a non-focusing bezel, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

The non-focusing bezel is great. Something the Scorpion does not have. I like not having to remove the head of the G2 to put the batteries in too. You remove the tail cap to put the batteries in. To replace the batteries in the Scorpion you have to remove the head.
Not a big deal, but just another one of them little things that make the G2 that much nicer.
Not to put down the Scorpion as I use to have one and they are preaty nice lights too.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like both lights but in performance I think they are two different lights.

I am actually amazed at how bright the PM6 compared to other 2x123 lights. It is supposedly between the 6P and 9P in brightness but I have found it is just a little bit dimmer than my Surefire M3 and throws farther than any of my Surefires 2cells, has a slightly longer runtime too and as someone else noted above the hot spot is tighter in a focused down mode. It is a little bit heavier than the G2 and is more along the lines of a Maglight in terms of machining quality but has excellent waterproofing too. I believe several folks did some beam testing including a great review by Brightnorm and someone else published a performance vs. runtime chart that showed the greater performance level of the PM6. For the price I am blown away by it's performance, I am going to eventually get around to getting a mineral glass lens from flashlightlens.com to try to improve the beam even more.

I like my G2's but they serve as backup lights due to the fact that I don't trust the switches, they have no retaining ring so they can get stuck on and also they can leak if depressed under water, some guys silicone the rubber button to the tailcap to try to waterproof it more and I have found my wifes stuck on, luckily I caught it before it melted the lens.

Just my opinion.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif