Small flashaholic moments like these...

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the small flashaholic moments that make it all worthwhile... here's a small example:

I was coming home yesterday, and had left the recycling by the door in the morning. It was still there obviously, as I didn't really have time to take it to the bin when I left for work. I picked up the mail, put down my grocery bags, got the recycling bag and went for the bin. I also had some papers to recycle as well that came out of the car.

I had a small stupid moment, as I threw my mail and plastic recycling into the bin and kept the papers meant for recycling. Thanks to the >idiots< who think it's a good idea to put time forward instead of backwards when we actually ned MORE light, it was already dark enough to see start and I couldn't see inside the bin. Then again, I am a flashaholic and kinda live for moments like this to whip out my light. (Then again, I love light, so why should I want it to be dark in the first place? Don't I carry a light because I hate the dark?!?!?) Ok, back to the main subject here, all I had to do is whip out my EDC light and retrieve the mail. Don't you love little moments like that?

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I agree with the sentiment about getting dark earlier. Since November 1, I drive to work in the dark and drive home in the dark. DST should never end.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your edc light?

Quark AA neutral, sometimes regular, sometimes tactical, sometimes both

I agree with the sentiment about getting dark earlier. Since November 1, I drive to work in the dark and drive home in the dark. DST should never end.

100% agree. The stupidest argument is that it's about saving energy, but I think the exact opposite is happening right now: you get home and have to turn on the lights, on top of the heating + stove + dish washer... not counting the increase in suicide due to seasonal affective disorder.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA neutral, sometimes regular, sometimes tactical, sometimes both

100% agree. The stupidest argument is that it's about saving energy, but I think the exact opposite is happening right now: you get home and have to turn on the lights, on top of the heating + stove + dish washer... not counting the increase in suicide due to seasonal affective disorder.

Not to mention, when it shifted 2 weeks...so did cold/flu season ;)

Every time I'm walking in the dark and decide I need extra light to see.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Agree - it really is stupid mucking about with the clocks twice a year.

Just leave it on GMT (in the UK anyway) or your local solar time and if people want to get up an hour or two earlier in the summer then what's to stop 'em ?

The saving energy argument does my head in too - there's still the same number of hours of daylight after all :ohgeez:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i sort of like it. now i have to edc a light since it's dark all the time.
i have reverse seasonal disorder.:tinfoil:

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
i sort of like it. now i have to edc a light since it's dark all the time.
i have reverse seasonal disorder.:tinfoil:

+1
HA! I thought it was just me!

Earlier this year when the time switched forward again I was all bummed out because of the loss of dark time!

Wonder what the name of the disorder is for missing darkness??

"Dracula-ism" :laughing:

Here on CPF, the time switch day in fall should be our own holiday!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll stick with my idea that the sun sets wayyy too early in the winter because of the time change, but it sets way too late in the summer. Can't use a flashlight on weekdays because of that. I wouldn't really want the sun to be up before 5 am (I do need to sleep), but I'd like to go hiking before bedtime and still need a light! and a winter hike is just too much trouble to go through in the winter here. Spring / fall hikes are too, it's just too muddy out there.

I would probably stick with DST and shift the whole thing a half-hour later during the long summer days.... the exact opposite of what it is right now. You would still need a flashlight in the winter, just not to get the groceries in. I like headlamps, but people look at me funny enough when I whip out a flashlight... OR we could all wear a headlamp starting at 4 p.m. in a protest to go back to DST! We should get something annoyingly bright so people join in the protest just to stop the blinding of pedestrians...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Between getting dark earlier and the need for coats, with more pockets for lights, this is surely our time of year.

Geoff

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
Just leave it on GMT (in the UK anyway) or your local solar time and if people want to get up an hour or two earlier in the summer then what's to stop 'em ?

I also think we should get up when the sun does and get home from work a little before the sun goes down. Work hours should be adjusted accordingly.

Do I get your vote for office? :cool:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Any of you remember when the U.S. had Daylight Saving Time all year long ?

Perhaps you may be too young to remember.

Was when Richard M. Nixon was in the White House.

Big energy-saving movement was active.

This (in my humble opinion) brilliant idea got scrapped rather quickly.

Main argument against it ?

Children having to wait for their School Bus in the morning,

outside in the Dark !

:candle:

(sigh)
_

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's always a con for someone... that's why I'd go halfway to a half hour....

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't it just the U.S. and a couple other countries that do DST??

Somehow the rest of the world manages to get along with out it.

And wasn't it just a few years ago they EXTENDED DST here in the US to run all the way to November? I can't remember the rational for that, but I want to say it was so that the kids wouldn't have to trick-or-treat in the dark (that may not be the real reason but it sounds appropriately stupid).

Sorry, the whole DST time thing torques me off. And I think studies have already been done showing that it actually results in MORE energy use, so it looks like the practice is just being carried on for no reason other than "That's how we do things here".

I tell ya, if any president REALLY wants to go down in history, he should abolish DST! People may whine about it for various reasons, but the public memory is only three months anyway so it won't be long before they forget all about it!

fyrstormer

Banned
I'll stick with my idea that the sun sets wayyy too early in the winter because of the time change, but it sets way too late in the summer. Can't use a flashlight on weekdays because of that. I wouldn't really want the sun to be up before 5 am (I do need to sleep), but I'd like to go hiking before bedtime and still need a light! and a winter hike is just too much trouble to go through in the winter here. Spring / fall hikes are too, it's just too muddy out there.

I would probably stick with DST and shift the whole thing a half-hour later during the long summer days.... the exact opposite of what it is right now. You would still need a flashlight in the winter, just not to get the groceries in. I like headlamps, but people look at me funny enough when I whip out a flashlight... OR we could all wear a headlamp starting at 4 p.m. in a protest to go back to DST! We should get something annoyingly bright so people join in the protest just to stop the blinding of pedestrians...
I wear an eyemask; it doesn't matter when the sun comes up. Might want to give it a try if you're light-sensitive.