Deer Spotting Spotlight

Jasper63

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a spotlight that I can use to spot deer and other animals. I am trying to find a good light that has a really good focus for about $100 dollars or less. I have tried a HID light but that color of light makes it hard to see the deer. It would be great to find an awesome spottin light!!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How far away are the deer usually?

Maybe a Maglite aspherical mod with a neutral white LED could work for you?

savumaki

Enlightened
Where I live that is called 'jack lighting' and you stand to lose your firearm, vehicle, hunting privileges, and a substantial amount of cash; even if you're not hunting it is illegal to harass wildlife at night with a spot light.

Welcome to CPF and I hope you grow to find it is a good source of information for other pursuits requiring flashlights.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
If you don't mind the bulk one of the 15,000,000 candle power search lights from one of the outdoor online venders will work. If you want something smaller that can be used other than a truck light you'll have to spend more money.
Billy

Burntrubber87

Newly Enlightened
Where I live that is called 'jack lighting' and you stand to lose your firearm, vehicle, hunting privileges, and a substantial amount of cash; even if you're not hunting it is illegal to harass wildlife at night with a spot light.

Welcome to CPF and I hope you grow to find it is a good source of information for other pursuits requiring flashlights.
Its legal in some states.

Patriot

Flashaholic
savumaki, the OP never once mentioned firearms or even hunting. I don't know of a single state where simply locating deer at night with a spotlight is illegal. Even during hunting season it's not illegal unless you have a weapon in the vehicle with you. Also, there are some places where it's not illegal to hunt deer with a spotlight and varmint hunting by spotlight is very popular in many places, though I concede the OP wasn't talking about varmints.

Jasper, my recommendation is to go back to your HID and upgrade your bulb to a 4200K color temperature. Most stock Asian spotlight bulbs are 6000-6500K which causes the blueish color that you object to. I don't blame you, since I don't like high color temperatures either. Nothing is better at spotlighting animals than HID. The overall lumen output and throw just can't be beat. I gave up on my Halogen hunting spots about 3-4 years ago and I'll never go back.

savumaki

Enlightened
Whoa guys----no offense was intended although my reply seems to imply that hunting was the goal so lets clear the air;
WERE it hunting, it is illegal here. It is also illegal to harass game (with a light),here. --- Here BTW is in ON, I can't speak for other provinces.

I recognize that there are jurisdictions where night hunting is quite legal but alas we are not allowed that privilege.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Whoa guys----no offense was intended although my reply seems to imply that hunting was the goal

Not the slightest bit taken. :) I was simply communicating my thoughts that you may have been reading into things a little bit. Since your response only included your testimony and not a suggestion I took it to mean that you were indicating that he shouldn't proceed with the idea. Sorry if I misunderstood the intentions of your post.

Jasper63
I am looking for a spotlight that I can use to spot deer and other animals.

Last edited:

oronocova

Enlightened
I just use a Brinkman 500k CP it also has a LED which is handy for navigating around. They have a new one out that is 2M CP I believe. The runtime isn't the greatest though but it's a very handy size. Wal-mart sells them for 20 or 30 bucks.
I use it on my own property which is not illegal but in VA it is illegal to "Cast a light attached to a vehicle or from a vehicle beyond a roadway upon places used by deer without written permission of the landowner or at anytime while in the possession of a rifle, shotgun, pistol, archery tackle, or speargun." You can probably check your state's dept of game and inland fisheries (or whatever it is named where you live) to make sure you are within the law.

Last edited:

DoctaDink

Enlightened
I am not an expert on spotlighting deer, but I have found that sometimes when varmint hunting, less is more....so to speak. A faint floody light will sometimes allow you to pick up faint reflections from eyes better than a bright spot that tends to wash out everything, and adversely affect your night vision. Perhaps you could try locating the deer with a low intensity light, then use a brighter spot for actual viewing if you wish.

Burgess

Flashaholic
i always spot LOTS of deer (eye reflections),
during my nightly walks in the woods.

While almost any flashlight will work,
the best results (for me, anyway), are with my Olight M20 Warrior R2.

That's my best " throwing " flashlight.

Trucker_Mike

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a spotlight that I can use to spot deer and other animals. I am trying to find a good light that has a really good focus for about $100 dollars or less. I have tried a HID light but that color of light makes it hard to see the deer. It would be great to find an awesome spottin light!!

I don't see anywhere in the original question any mention of hunting.

I am looking to rig up ditch lights on my truck to spot deer and other larger animals for collision avoidance reasons. A deer can stop or otherwise mangle a truck pretty quick. Not sure about laws, but don't see any harm if I'm running an empty highway in Northern Michigan or Northern Ontario. Lots of roadkill in the spring and fall, and I have dodged at least a dozen since last March. Lucky dodges, their timing was okay, but I had no forwarnng in the dark....poof, there it is...you hit or miss.

Anyway, I just bought a couple of Lucidity 1000 lumen LED floods with a 40 meter range - just one lights up my back yard like daylight. Now to figure the best place and method to mount them...

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
i always spot LOTS of deer (eye reflections),
during my nightly walks in the woods.

While almost any flashlight will work,

This ^^

Tons of deer where I live - infestation actually. I walk my dog every night off leash and need to spot the deer before he does or he'll go tearing after them through the woods (and only be successful picking up their Lyme ticks :(). I just scan the perimeter with a floody 3 lms, or 30 lms in the more open areas, flashlight held near my eyes, and their eyes light up like Christmas lights - they always know you're there and will be looking directly at you.

I personally find higher power modes, and high lux throwers, to be more detrimental in my densely wooded area. Bright light starts illuminating too much foreground, trees, and foliage negatively impacting my own night vision, but if you're in more open country, that's another matter.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In my state hunting racoons with dogs is the only legal method of spotlighting.

Any time somebody spotlights from a truck or tree stand is not illegal per sae, but a good way to get harrassed by the poh-lease.

You might consider checking into coal miner gear. Like others said too much brightness in dense woods results in self blinding. But a nice, bright diffused light would likely work well.

Also consider the warm glow of an incandecent. Way, way less 'flash back' issue. An old style incan Mag D size...still readily available for like $20+ batteries.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, lighting up wildlife is not illegal if you don't have a gun.

BTW, my GF is in ICU. She swerved to avoid hitting a deer yesterday afternoon. Medically induced coma. Car's totaled.

If things go badly, I might not have a GF anymore.

A few months ago, a friend of mine hit a deer with a motorcycle. It rashed him up, totaled the bike, but he pulled through fine.

In a state where deer outnumber people, this sort of thing is going to happen. Rural states need relaxed regulations permitting the culling of road hazards. I can see why congested mostly urban states are scared.

Also, my rifle light is an Armytek Predator Green. Night hunting is legal in my state, but not for deer. We can do pest control 24/7/365.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My wife crashed a few years ago avoiding a deer.
Scary stuff.

Best regards mr more. Hope all ends up ok.

My rule of thumb is try to stop in time, but if it's obvious the deer isn't going to move..well bambi, you gonna die....
and mash the accelerator hoping to deflect it over the car. So far I've been lucky and saw them in time or they moved.

Now I've had those whistlers on my truck for years.
People ask if they work. I tell 'em aint seen a deer since using them....then again I didn't see many before...so I dunno.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lived in a place where this was a monthly thing, you or your family hit one. Total overpopulation.

Contrary to popular belief, it's best to slow down and hit the deer then speed up.

Unless your LEO.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Virginia is another state where there are more deer than people. I live in a pretty urban area of Va and they are still everywhere. My furthest throwing light is a cheap $45 HID Ryobi spotlight I got from HD. The battery is extra. It is 2800 lumens and must throw a mile. Down side that makes it useless is that the beam profile projected is the arcane shape of the filament in the bulb its pretty nasty looks like a giant keyhole. Idk if its like that with most HID's or what but I will say damn does my Javelot light up everything as far as my eye can see or what? I also have the ET MX25L2 Turbo Head it throws the biggest beam I have ever seen out of anything. Beam profile out of the big Javelot is outstanding so is the beam out the ET. If you are gonna go HID go Polarion those are the only really good HID's I am familiar with but boy are they expensive! Good luck and keep us posted..