The new Terralux TLE-300MR-EX upgrade for Mag Charger. 700 lumens.

kbohip

Newly Enlightened
I've had a Mag Charger for about 12 years. Last night I noticed it's light was fluctuating a bit so I checked the battery. It had leaked a little acid into the end cap and the spring had some corrosion on it too. Time for a new battery as it was still on the original from 1997!

Anyway while I was at Battery Junction getting a new battery for it I noticed Terralux has a new led upgrade out. It's a redesign of the TLE-300MR that now puts out 700 lumens instead of 600. Even better and what I like the most is it has 3 brightness settings. Full, half, and a "moonlight" mode that goes for 8 hours. The only problem is it's $80! This is what I spent on the whole flashlight.

I'm probably going to pick one of these up after Christmas but I'd like to know if anyone here is currently using a Terralux 600 lumen upgrade on their Mag Charger and if so how has it held up? I'd hate to drop $80 on an led and have it burn up in a year. I haven't been able to find much info on this. Just a couple of videos from last year.

Spydermonkey

Newly Enlightened
I ran the 300MR for the past year and just gave it up to a buddy in preparation of purchasing the new model. My only complaint was that it was too bright to use on most traffic stops due to being too bright and not having a lower mode. Now I just have to wait till next payday to get the new model.

I did have an issue with the gen1 Stinger kit but they replaced it for free with the current gen which is much better so I guess wasn't much of an issue.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have it yet, but I guess this upgrade will be very useful, just for bring different bright levels to the MC.

You didn't find any information why this module is still very new and maybe few members have tried it.

As you said, it is a bit expensive compared with the flashlight whole, but if you take into account the quality of the product Terralux so that is something important.

Cheers,
Dioni

PS: Is this your first post since dec'07? Welcome? :thinking:

kbohip

Newly Enlightened
I don't have it yet, but I guess this upgrade will be very useful, just for bring different bright levels to the MC.

You didn't find any information why this module is still very new and maybe few members have tried it.

As you said, it is a bit expensive compared with the flashlight whole, but if you take into account the quality of the product Terralux so that is something important.

Cheers,
Dioni

PS: Is this your first post since dec'07? Welcome? :thinking:

Strange, I thought for sure I'd posted on here at least a few times before.:thinking: Meh, I belong to too many forums I guess! Maybe when I pick this up I'll get some night pics out. Redeem myself here somewhat from my complete lack of posting in almost 2 years.

I can put this up against my Harbor Freight HID lantern.:cool:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange, I thought for sure I'd posted on here at least a few times before.:thinking: Meh, I belong to too many forums I guess! Maybe when I pick this up I'll get some night pics out. Redeem myself here somewhat from my complete lack of posting in almost 2 years.

I can put this up against my Harbor Freight HID lantern.:cool:

We will be happy to see this comparison here! ;)

Cheers,
Dioni

pulstar

Enlightened
Any new infos yet? Well, since it will probably use the same optics, beam will still be a little "funky" but outside i don't see too much of a problem. I'm more curious if it's worth of switching the old tle-300mr with the new one, 300mr-ex? I'm quite satisfied with old one, but a few extra lumens and modes look very tempting:D. However, decisive factor will be the tint. If the new one is warmer(old one is a bit on a blueish side) i'll probably get a new one:grin2:

Reviews and beamshots please! What take you guys so long?!:poke::D:crackup:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any new infos yet? Well, since it will probably use the same optics, beam will still be a little "funky" but outside i don't see too much of a problem. I'm more curious if it's worth of switching the old tle-300mr with the new one, 300mr-ex? I'm quite satisfied with old one, but a few extra lumens and modes look very tempting:D. However, decisive factor will be the tint. If the new one is warmer(old one is a bit on a blueish side) i'll probably get a new one:grin2:

Reviews and beamshots please! What take you guys so long?!:poke::D:crackup:

It's not just more lumens, but also is a multi-level upgrade [the old one had not that, right?!:thinking:].
About tint, i'm not sure but i guess will be a bit warmer too. :)

Waiting for review! :popcorn:

pulstar

Enlightened
Indeed, there was (is) only one brightness level. I wonder what kind of leds are in it? Maybe cree r2?

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed, there was (is) only one brightness level. I wonder what kind of leds are in it? Maybe cree r2?

As I posted in MarketPlace, I have sent a e-mail for sales dep of the TerraLUX inc. a time ago, but the only confirmation was that their module uses an XRE and they could not make public this product design detail.
I guess it is a R2 too!

MP Thread:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=203876

Cheers,
Dioni

AS-X

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried to replace the optics to customize the beam. What optic is installed as standard?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried to replace the optics to customize the beam. What optic is installed as standard?

According to the Terralux website, they say that it has an 8.4 degree beam angle. I don't know if that helps any though. :D

wiretap_MD

Newly Enlightened
I am interested in purchasing the Terralux TLE-300MR-EX LED upgrade for my
magcharger. My magcharger is the original version. I believe I got
this way back in the late 80s. I noticed that the current newer
magcharger models now have the 3-way switch (on, off, signal). My
switch sports only the on and off function and so I was wondering if I
still could make use of the 3 output settings of the terralux?

bstrickler

Enlightened
I am interested in purchasing the Terralux TLE-300MR-EX LED upgrade for my
magcharger. My magcharger is the original version. I believe I got
this way back in the late 80s. I noticed that the current newer
magcharger models now have the 3-way switch (on, off, signal). My
switch sports only the on and off function and so I was wondering if I
still could make use of the 3 output settings of the terralux?

Yes, you will still be able to use the 3 output settings of the Terralux.

Drop in modules such as this one, with multiple modes only require a two-way switch (on-off). The light module changes modes each time there is an electrical current going through it. Usually, with better quality drop-ins (compared to DealExtreme), such as this, have a memory. If you leave the light on for more than 10 seconds in 1 mode, it will "remember" that you last used the light in that mode, and next time you turn it on, it will turn on in that mode.

~Brian

kbohip

Newly Enlightened
I ended up getting this for Xmas and I LOVE it! It lights up the backyard with a nice floodlight type of beam. This is exactly what I wanted as the original halogen bulb was either a bright spot or went way to dim when focused into a flood. I also really like the two dimmer settings as I can use the light for car repair or other closeup work without getting blinded. I will be doing a beamshot comparison as soon as I can find the time over the next few weeks, although time is tough to come by right now for me.

beamis

Newly Enlightened
I just received one of these for Christmas. The beam is bright. Looks a tad brighter than my Romisen RC-T5. Be prepared if you have sensitive ears though. The PWM on medium and high sounds like a movie of a mouse getting murdered paused while it's screaming.:eek:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received one of these for Christmas. The beam is bright. Looks a tad brighter than my Romisen RC-T5. Be prepared if you have sensitive ears though. The PWM on medium and high sounds like a movie of a mouse getting murdered paused while it's screaming.:eek:

:hahaha:

"Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a EDC's in thy breastie..."

(Sorry Rabbie!)

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
Im a bit confused here.. Say i buy the TLE-300M-EX in my 4D with 4x rechargable 1.2V 10000 mAh (= 48Wh).

Looking at the specs for the unit:

The TLE-300M-EX offers 3 output levels
100%(1 hour)
50% (2 hours)
15% (8 hours)moonlight mode

Power Consumption: Approximately 12 Watts

Something is really off here..