Maxpedition - Knives and Tools
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Terralux TLE-300MR-EX upgrade for Mag Charger. 700 lumens.

Default The new Terralux TLE-300MR-EX upgrade for Mag Charger. 700 lumens.

I've had a Mag Charger for about 12 years. Last night I noticed it's light was fluctuating a bit so I checked the battery. It had leaked a little acid into the end cap and the spring had some corrosion on it too. Time for a new battery as it was still on the original from 1997!

Anyway while I was at Battery Junction getting a new battery for it I noticed Terralux has a new led upgrade out. It's a redesign of the TLE-300MR that now puts out 700 lumens instead of 600. Even better and what I like the most is it has 3 brightness settings. Full, half, and a "moonlight" mode that goes for 8 hours. The only problem is it's $80! This is what I spent on the whole flashlight.

I'm probably going to pick one of these up after Christmas but I'd like to know if anyone here is currently using a Terralux 600 lumen upgrade on their Mag Charger and if so how has it held up? I'd hate to drop $80 on an led and have it burn up in a year. I haven't been able to find much info on this. Just a couple of videos from last year.

Default Re: The new Terralux TLE-300MR-EX upgrade for Mag Charger. 700 lumens.

I ran the 300MR for the past year and just gave it up to a buddy in preparation of purchasing the new model. My only complaint was that it was too bright to use on most traffic stops due to being too bright and not having a lower mode. Now I just have to wait till next payday to get the new model.

I did have an issue with the gen1 Stinger kit but they replaced it for free with the current gen which is much better so I guess wasn't much of an issue.

I don't have it yet, but I guess this upgrade will be very useful, just for bring different bright levels to the MC.

You didn't find any information why this module is still very new and maybe few members have tried it.

As you said, it is a bit expensive compared with the flashlight whole, but if you take into account the quality of the product Terralux so that is something important.

Cheers,
    Dioni

PS: Is this your first post since dec'07? Welcome?

Quote Originally Posted by Dioni View Post
    I don't have it yet, but I guess this upgrade will be very useful, just for bring different bright levels to the MC.

You didn't find any information why this module is still very new and maybe few members have tried it.

As you said, it is a bit expensive compared with the flashlight whole, but if you take into account the quality of the product Terralux so that is something important.

Cheers,
    Dioni

PS: Is this your first post since dec'07? Welcome?
    Strange, I thought for sure I'd posted on here at least a few times before. Meh, I belong to too many forums I guess! Maybe when I pick this up I'll get some night pics out. Redeem myself here somewhat from my complete lack of posting in almost 2 years.

I can put this up against my Harbor Freight HID lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Strange, I thought for sure I'd posted on here at least a few times before. Meh, I belong to too many forums I guess! Maybe when I pick this up I'll get some night pics out. Redeem myself here somewhat from my complete lack of posting in almost 2 years.

I can put this up against my Harbor Freight HID lantern.
    We will be happy to see this comparison here!

Cheers,
    Dioni

Any new infos yet? Well, since it will probably use the same optics, beam will still be a little "funky" but outside i don't see too much of a problem. I'm more curious if it's worth of switching the old tle-300mr with the new one, 300mr-ex? I'm quite satisfied with old one, but a few extra lumens and modes look very tempting. However, decisive factor will be the tint. If the new one is warmer(old one is a bit on a blueish side) i'll probably get a new one

Reviews and beamshots please! What take you guys so long?!

Quote Originally Posted by pulstar View Post
    Any new infos yet? Well, since it will probably use the same optics, beam will still be a little "funky" but outside i don't see too much of a problem. I'm more curious if it's worth of switching the old tle-300mr with the new one, 300mr-ex? I'm quite satisfied with old one, but a few extra lumens and modes look very tempting. However, decisive factor will be the tint. If the new one is warmer(old one is a bit on a blueish side) i'll probably get a new one

Reviews and beamshots please! What take you guys so long?!
    It's not just more lumens, but also is a multi-level upgrade [the old one had not that, right?!].
    About tint, i'm not sure but i guess will be a bit warmer too.

Waiting for review!

Indeed, there was (is) only one brightness level. I wonder what kind of leds are in it? Maybe cree r2?

Indeed, there was (is) only one brightness level. I wonder what kind of leds are in it? Maybe cree r2?
    As I posted in MarketPlace, I have sent a e-mail for sales dep of the TerraLUX inc. a time ago, but the only confirmation was that their module uses an XRE and they could not make public this product design detail.
    I guess it is a R2 too!

MP Thread:
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=203876

Cheers,
    Dioni

Guess i need to finally register on MP too

Guess i need to finally register on MP too
    Do it!

MP has the best deals.

Unenlightened

Has anyone tried to replace the optics to customize the beam. What optic is installed as standard?

any beamshot???

Quote Originally Posted by AS-X View Post
    Has anyone tried to replace the optics to customize the beam. What optic is installed as standard?
    According to the Terralux website, they say that it has an 8.4 degree beam angle. I don't know if that helps any though.

Unenlightened

I am interested in purchasing the Terralux TLE-300MR-EX LED upgrade for my
    magcharger. My magcharger is the original version. I believe I got
    this way back in the late 80s. I noticed that the current newer
    magcharger models now have the 3-way switch (on, off, signal). My
    switch sports only the on and off function and so I was wondering if I
    still could make use of the 3 output settings of the terralux?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by wiretap_MD View Post
    I am interested in purchasing the Terralux TLE-300MR-EX LED upgrade for my
    magcharger. My magcharger is the original version. I believe I got
    this way back in the late 80s. I noticed that the current newer
    magcharger models now have the 3-way switch (on, off, signal). My
    switch sports only the on and off function and so I was wondering if I
    still could make use of the 3 output settings of the terralux?
    Yes, you will still be able to use the 3 output settings of the Terralux.

Drop in modules such as this one, with multiple modes only require a two-way switch (on-off). The light module changes modes each time there is an electrical current going through it. Usually, with better quality drop-ins (compared to DealExtreme), such as this, have a memory. If you leave the light on for more than 10 seconds in 1 mode, it will "remember" that you last used the light in that mode, and next time you turn it on, it will turn on in that mode.

~Brian

I ended up getting this for Xmas and I LOVE it! It lights up the backyard with a nice floodlight type of beam. This is exactly what I wanted as the original halogen bulb was either a bright spot or went way to dim when focused into a flood. I also really like the two dimmer settings as I can use the light for car repair or other closeup work without getting blinded. I will be doing a beamshot comparison as soon as I can find the time over the next few weeks, although time is tough to come by right now for me.

Flashaholic

I just received one of these for Christmas. The beam is bright. Looks a tad brighter than my Romisen RC-T5. Be prepared if you have sensitive ears though. The PWM on medium and high sounds like a movie of a mouse getting murdered paused while it's screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by beamis View Post
    I just received one of these for Christmas. The beam is bright. Looks a tad brighter than my Romisen RC-T5. Be prepared if you have sensitive ears though. The PWM on medium and high sounds like a movie of a mouse getting murdered paused while it's screaming.

"Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beastie,
    O, what a EDC's in thy breastie..."

(Sorry Rabbie!)

Im a bit confused here.. Say i buy the TLE-300M-EX in my 4D with 4x rechargable 1.2V 10000 mAh (= 48Wh).

Looking at the specs for the unit:

The TLE-300M-EX offers 3 output levels
    100%(1 hour)
    50% (2 hours)
    15% (8 hours)moonlight mode

Power Consumption: Approximately 12 Watts

Something is really off here..

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    I ended up getting this for Xmas and I LOVE it! It lights up the backyard with a nice floodlight type of beam. This is exactly what I wanted as the original halogen bulb was either a bright spot or went way to dim when focused into a flood. I also really like the two dimmer settings as I can use the light for car repair or other closeup work without getting blinded. I will be doing a beamshot comparison as soon as I can find the time over the next few weeks, although time is tough to come by right now for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by beamis View Post
    Congrats on your gifts guys! Finally we'll have some beamshots...

Cheers,
    Dioni

Quote Originally Posted by SirJMD View Post
    Im a bit confused here.. Say i buy the TLE-300M-EX in my 4D with 4x rechargable 1.2V 10000 mAh (= 48Wh).

100%(1 hour)
    50% (2 hours)

I think that these numbers are for Terralux TLE-300MR- ex, and not for M dropin for "normal" maglites.

I think that these numbers are for Terralux TLE-300MR- ex, and not for M dropin for "normal" maglites.
    Yea, i guess asking for proper specs, is too much asked.

Yea, i guess asking for proper specs, is too much asked.
    When it comes to flashlight manufacturers, yes asking for light output specifications is asking for *way* too much.

More so than in any other industry that I follow closely in my various hobbies and interests, flashlights are WAY over-rated in terms of factory light output specs. That's why I pretty much ignore all manufacturer provided lumen ratings.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Locoboy5150 View Post
    More so than in any other industry that I follow closely in my various hobbies and interests, flashlights are WAY over-rated in terms of factory light output specs. That's why I pretty much ignore all manufacturer provided lumen ratings.
    Last I checked, auto manufacturers still give the horsepower ratings at the engine and not at the wheels, this is not at all different to flashlights being rated by emitter lumens.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Flashaholic*

100%(1 hour)
    50% (2 hours)

If these runtimes are for MagCharger it does mean you will get 3 times the runtimes with your 4D and the batteries you mention. Stock MagCharger battery only has 15Wh.

Regards, Patric
    From 24/8: break from CPF for a while.
    My collection Photos of my lights

Flashaholic*

No beamshots yet?
    my typin is bad and my speeling is evenworse...

Quote Originally Posted by defloyd77 View Post
    Last I checked, auto manufacturers still give the horsepower ratings at the engine and not at the wheels, this is not at all different to flashlights being rated by emitter lumens.
    I know and flywheel, not rear wheel, hosepower ratings are one of the things that I don't like about the automotive industry...among *many* other things.

Ok guys,

if I would waited for you guys...I'd probably never get myself a new, Terralux TLE-300MR-EX dropin.

First observations: Beam shape remains the same: It's a bit funky on a white wall, but outside/a bit longer distances you won't notice that. I was pleasantly suprised by the tint: It's quite warmer than the tint of TLE-300MR. But still on a "cool side", pretty much the same as my Nitecore Extreme's. Probably LED's are the same: CREE R2's.
    It's a bit brighter than the old one, but there isn't a big difference.

How to change modes: It has no memory so you have to cycle through three brightness setting. You can use momentary (press for high, depress, press again for medium, depress, and press for low, deprees. If you press again you're on high again.) You can also click for constant on(high)turn it of, then click again(medium)... Probably the best way to get the desired level is combination of momentary and constant: Let's say you want to get the low mode: press two times, third time click all the way down and you're in low mode (note: i assumed that first press was for high)

**About PWM sound
    : You can hear a light squeeeeek when you're in medium, and even louder when in low. But i could hear it only when flashlight was still dismantled. When everything was back together i couldn't hear anything (i still can't actually)

Beamshots: Be aware, that i used point and shoot camera with automatic settings only. These beamshots are taken just for relative comparison!!!

I compared Magcharger with TLE-300MR-EX, Surefire LX2 and Nitecore Extreme R2.

First from left is Terralux, second LX2, right is Extreme R2

All flashlights on highest mode:

Terralux on medium, other on high:

All three low (lowest on Extreme R2)

Terralux high, other low (lowest on Extreme R2)

Beam-shape of TLE-300MR-EX

Now two more pictures of flashlights appearance:

This is all for now, hope i helped you guys a bit. Btw, i have UCL lens on my Magcharger, and i used original lens "sealing" and o-ring that comes with drop-in. There's no rattle or anything.

For outdoor beamshots please go to:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=245852
    but unfortunately there are pictures of my old TLE-300MR. However, those pictures are made with locked camera setting, to see the real performance of my three flashlights. New 300MR-EX should be a little bit brighter and with warmer tint.

I apologize for language and grammar mistakes.

Hey, do you guys know if it would be at all possible to install the terralux tle-300m-ex in a 2d maglite with 2 AW 18650's rated at 3.7v and 2600 mah? Or is that out of the question?

Thanks from a newbie guy here.