bushnell backtrack

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone have one of these or something similar?

i like that it.
1. runs on over the counter batteris, aaa
2. locks gps location to back track to.
3. digital compass
4. relatively small
i'm not sure if there are any other product that offers the same functions. if so any suggestions.

i plan on using it for hiking and when traveling abroad.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I almost purchased one of these a few months ago, but after reading a few reviews, I decided to hold off. There were a few issues that seemed to come up over and over again: it sometimes took a few minutes to acquire your position; it required you to keep moving (i.e. if you stopped for a second, it would lose your position); and, it wouldn't work well inside structures like malls or parking lots (in case you wanted to use it to find where you'd parked your car). At the end of the day, I found that many of the handheld GPS units were almost as easy to use and provided better guidance. (I've seen a lot of good reviews of the eTrex, and it was often listed as an alternative to the trackback.)

Ultimately, I decided not to purchase one, though I was really bummed; I love the idea of a simple, easy-to-use GPS system. Read the reviews on Amazon, REI, or other common retailers, and if you're still as excited, then go for it! :)

Hope this helps.

- FITP

Last edited:

1 what

Enlightened
I've had an ECCO GPS Keychain for a couple of months and am happy with it. Great for "on the street" (outside) navigation, bushwalking etc. It would be even better if it worked indoors but you cant have everything especially when you consider the size and battery life issues. I suspect it's built around the same chip as the Bushnell.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bought one. seems ok.

i just tried it on a 2 mile loop. it more or less points in the right direction. i didn't feel like the accuracy increased or decreased by moving or being static.
there were times where it was 30 deg off(which is pretty bad, approx 1mile away) but when you correct and walk to that direction it points back at the right direction. so you wouldnt be walking in the wrong direction for more than a couple steps. i was in motion so it not about being static. seemed 90% accurate when within 600 yds.

it's definitely kind of bigger than it looks in the pics but definitely smaller and lighter than a handheld. about the size of one of those closet aaa push lights. maybe 3" diameter?

it basically has all the faults of a gps related device. since i'm aware of the faults i'm not disappointed. at 50 beans it's worth keeping.
locks a signal inside my house.
my 2 mile loop was mixed suburban and mid high rise buildings.
i'll test it in nyc when i get the chance. :laughing:

the ecco looks really sleek! i cheapened out though.:rolleyes: at double the price and not using standard batteries i couldn't consider it. also by increasing the price i will increase my expectations.

i think the funny thing to do is to try to keep the triangle always pointing forward. you look crazy walking in a zigzag. maybe good if you are being tailed by a snake :wave:

Last edited: