My 6 volt h3 spot, modded to a HID with selectable 35w and 55w!

liteitup

Newly Enlightened
Well ive been hanging out in spc's thread about his spot light and the bug bit me... i have a bunch of hid stuff kickin around for my atv's.. i looked in the spare room and remembered there is an old small 6v spot light that ofcourse the battery lasted, well it was bad out of the box, but the light was 6 dollars new.... lol

I dont have a slim ballast so this made my day a little bit harder... Even if i did have a slim ballast theres no way to fit a battery and ballast in this tiny spot light.

So the modding began, ripped out the battery and h3 bulb. I managed to get a 9006 bulb to focus and stay in the h3 slot... lol its all i have so it had to work! when i get the proper h3 ill toss it in there :)

So here is the light opened ballast and hard wiring installed

IMG_4091.jpg

IMG_4092.jpg

all assembled, high low switch is perfect for the thumb :)

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4082.jpg

a couple quick beam shots.. doesnt show the true brightness as its normal exposure.. but it does show the difference in the low 35 watt and the high 55w. Switching between low and high mode is instant, unlike the stanley hid.

low
IMG_4074.jpg

high
IMG_4075.jpg

all in all im pretty happy with the end result... one useless light has been rectified into something custom, which is always good. and hey its pretty bright and camo.. which you know will make it hard to find when its turned off.... lol

Last edited:

spc

Enlightened
How did you do the high/low? A switch with different resistance across those resisters on the back of the ballast?

Last edited:

liteitup

Newly Enlightened
How did you do the high/low? A swicth with different resistance across those resisters on the back of the ballast?

exactly.. 2 ro50 resistors(parallel) wired through the switch. It is very sensitive to soldering so make sure you get a good connection... your talking .05 ohms here so the additional wiring and switch does raise that up so you wont see as much power as soldered directly to the board. Normally with these 2 resistors it would be near 70 watts, but with the resistance of the wiring and switch it will only go to around 55 watts (not much change with 3 resistors either, only .2 amps), but hey its selectable :)

now its truly custom... my own sticker.. lol

IMG_4096.jpg