MagCharger upgrade suggestions

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
I've got an old MC lying around and am going to upgrade it. This light is going to be for wow factor. I've got plenty of useful lights. I would like to keep runtime at at least 40 minutes. Being new to incan's, I have heard and read about the mag 85, and it seams to fit the bill, but there are many other options. I will be getting a new battery, so anything is an option, ie: AA battery holders, replacement battery pack(higher capacity), 6 1/2D's with an extension tube(I would rather not make it longer, though).
My reason to post this question when every option of mag chargers has been discussed already is there are so many other options and I have a hard time finding a definitive, this is the brightest and best. I think the reason why is there are so many bulb options and then a couple to a few battery options for each.
I would love to hear someone say, "you should get the ???? bulb with a ? battery set-up. It will give you the best, brightest beam and run time will be a minimum of ? minutes"
Just a rundown:
-Run time is probably least important, but should be at least 30 minutes
-Bright bright bright is the most important.
-I'm not looking to rebuild everything and want to stay away from extension tubes. I want to keep the stock switch, possibly replace the slug, replace the reflector if I have to. I will insulate the reflector from the plastic if it is enough protection.
-Whatever batter config. recommended, who is a good vendor or what brand. If a battery holder is the recommendation, I'll be getting it, along with the slug from FM. He has been very helpful to me so far.
-Basically replacing the battery, bulb, slug, 30 min. run time, brightest possible.
-I will likely be replacing the reflector at a later date so don't be afraid of recommended a set up the will melt the stock one.
I know there are a lot of question here and will appreciate the time it will take to answer them. Maybe it would be worth someones time to make a sticky on these.

Last edited:

mdhammack

Newly Enlightened
If I were you, I'm not you, but if I was you....j/k

You can run the philips 5761 bulb with an upgraded battery pack, battery junction has them. They are 3500 mah instead of the stock 2600 mah....now get you a ceramic slug from fivemega here on the forums, he also has a very nice metal reflector, about 40 bucks if I remember, I have one and love it! So battery, ~30 bucks, reflector ~40 bucks, slug ~40 bucks, and 6 bucks for a bulb and you will have one nice light that should fit your requirements on brightness and runtime. I believe that bulb does somewhere around 750 lumens on a 6 volt pack. You will be ok on the stock reflector for now, just keep your runtimes down, but the slug is a MUST! I melted mine and it has never been on longer than 2 minutes...so I gotta see mr fivemega myself!

Tony Hanna

Newly Enlightened
I'm a fan of the GE 78x bulbs. They are the same T-2.25 size as the original MC bulb and fit like they were made for it. I'm running a 787 (10w) on 2x18650s in my 2c mag and love it for the runtime. The 20w GE 788 might fit your goal. It's around 400 lumens at spec (6v) or throw in an extra cell for some overdriven goodness. Unless I got the math wrong, it should be good for a little over 45 minutes on a 2600mah stick.